Vw carnage

998136_10151524054943432_1141952381_n.jpg

945534_10151524055103432_866991106_n.jpg

999737_10151524055198432_2074353686_n.jpg

601033_10151524055283432_354373067_n.jpg

Luckily it didn't bend the valve.
992851_10151524211463432_289669969_n.jpg

Isn't that what you were bringing out here? LOL

Yeah that was a few months ago. I had the lifter bore bored out and sleeve put in. New cam, lifters and headgasket and it's been running like a champ since

The n290 is basically a FCA like on the cp3. 2 t20 bolts hold it in has an oring seal but ive never seen one leak.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks, I'll yank mine tonight and have a look. I might be adapting a liberty CRD CP3 to mine at some point ;)

Yeah that was a few months ago. I had the lifter bore bored out and sleeve put in. New cam, lifters and headgasket and it's been running like a champ since

How many miles were on that? The closer mine gets to 300k the more scared I get that the actual build will cost more LOL

That was caused from a broken timing belt tensioner, but ~170K miles

That was caused from a broken timing belt tensioner, but ~170K miles

Other way around, that caused the broken timing belt tensioner :)

I have one that looks identical, cyl#1 intake, top broke off the lifter, jammed the cam, tensioner tab bent, then the guy spent hours trying to get it started. new battery, new fuel filter, etc. :bang

Other way around, that caused the broken timing belt tensioner :)

I have one that looks identical, cyl#1 intake, top broke off the lifter, jammed the cam, tensioner tab bent, then the guy spent hours trying to get it started. new battery, new fuel filter, etc. :bang

No, the tensioner back plate was broke and wouldn't stay tight. I ordered one and put it on. A couple days later the lifter shattered.
2apa8uga.jpg

I put it back together, and has been fine for the last 10K miles

Last edited:
Interesting, so you saw that there was no damage to the lifters when the tensioner went?

Interesting, so you saw that there was no damage to the lifters when the tensioner went?

All I'm gonna say is that there was a new timing belt put on when I bought it, and that was it. No tensioner, water pump, etc. belt only and no timing or pinning tools were used. I put around 6-8K miles on it after that. I noticed the tensioner issue and fixed that, then this happened a couple days later.

All I know is, the two issues were related. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? It's running good now so I'm satisfied. Knock on wood...

Last edited:
I've replaced so many damn turbos at this point I've stopped taking pictures of them.

I've kept most of the broken ones but not all and I think at last count there were 15 in the pile.

Currently have a ALH in the shop with a completely melted #1 piston. I mean there was aluminum stalactites hanging from the head it was so melted. The veins in the turbo were completely coated in aluminum.

Man I LOVE my Mk4 alh tdi and by the looks of all these pics of the carnage from the newer engines I think ill stick with the OL trusty 1.9alh!!

Man I LOVE my Mk4 alh tdi and by the looks of all these pics of the carnage from the newer engines I think ill stick with the OL trusty 1.9alh!!

The ALH is a tough little motor but I think as much gas as this car had in the fuel even the ve pump on the alh would have crapped out

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Customer put gas in this one for sure but good news after January 1 vw isnt gona warranty miss fueling itll be customer pay from then on

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Do you work for a VW dealer Moparbubba?

So is this confirmed that VWoA is no longer covering CP4.1 replacement out of warranty mileage after January 1st 2014? Will they only be denying warranty coverage for proven misfuels? Or will they non-warranty any HPFP failures after the OE or extended warranty mileage is past?

This will make A LOT of the TDI guys that have been relying on the generosity of VWoA to give them peace of mind on the HPFP failure issue really nervous!!!

What is the current HPFP failure replacement cost at the dealer level expected to be for a consumer after Jan 1st?

The Chevy Cruze Diesel is looking better and better as an alternative to the VW TDIs all the time!!!:Cheer:

Back