Want to build an s10. 383 vs 5.9

Moochoff

Brother and I are looking at building an s10 for the street and some 1/8th mile tracks that are close by...

He is looking at big blocks and entertaining the idea of 383/400 small blocks... I think it'd be a lot more rewarding stuffing in a 12v and 47rh

Looking for an "11 second" truck, what are your guys' thoughts on transplant choices? I'm guessing most of you started with or still have quick gassers so the opinion is appreciated.

We have the equipment, too much time, and steady paychecks...

Jake

You can do an 11 second truck with 500hp easy..
Pick your poison.
To me a turbo ls would be more fun. But a Cummins at 500hp is really fun too

Goes on a website called Competition Diesel and asks whats better, 383 or 5.9...

Smh...

Do the 5.9, then post a bunch of pics!

Last edited:
Won't take much powerwise, biggest issue will be setting up the chassis. 12v powered s10 would be different but keep in mind the weight diff versus a small block.

Gimme some more pros with the p-pump guys, that's why I didn't post this on some classic chevy site!

The big differences I see immediately are front axle swap, harder to keep weight balanced, and more frame reinforcements with double the torque of a sbc

Brother and I are looking at building an s10 for ...1/8th mile tracks that are close by...

Looking for an "11 second" truck

whaaaaa???

LOL

I'd do a turbo'd ls just for the weight savings and ease of the swap.

4Bt would be more inline (pun intended :D ) with size & weight of a bbc/turbo ls & keep you in a diesel. 500 isn't impossible in a 4bt but idt its nearly as easy as w/ a 6bt & once achieved, I'd be curious how streetable it'd be if it made 500whp w/o nitrous.

Forget the pee-pumps.

06+ CR, 62 over 75 should do 600-700whp I think. Quicker spooling then stock.

Could be done fairly easily and cheaply with Gen 1, 2, or 3 small blocks all motor. Pick your poison.

11's with BBC N/A would be cake.

My full street trim 89 s10 ran 12.06 @110 stock bore 400 with cast flat tops and barely touched double humps 500 lift hyd tappet cam Stock 410 gears with mini spool running 31x10.50 slick and slapper bars. More tuning and better heads 11s is very easy to get...cummibs swap is much cooler personally
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Ls1 with spray.... diesels are cool but hard to beat an ls with a little giggle juice.

Back