Want to build an s10. 383 vs 5.9

I don't see the point 11sec truck my 88 355 10-5-1,prodine heads, 3500stall th400, 456 gears @ some 60/40 shocks up front ,first pass off the trailer did 11.63 1.71 60ft with just some Caltracs @ mickey Thompson et streets 295-65. I could have change some gears and put nitrous on and been real low 11s high 10s it's not that hard.. But go to the track and you'll see 10 v8 s10s but not one with a cummins

Unless you have pleanty of money to do it right and 'over build' it will just be a money pit and nightmare. If your young and have pleanty patience and don't mind going through a lot of growing pains and the high percentage of breakage for a while then go for it. Just don't underbuild from the flywheel back. Im now back to a blown 383 on methanol and couldn't be happier, nothing like leaving the car loaded 'IN' the trailer after each weekend of hard racing. Rather than 'Having' to push it out and repair or service something after each. I ended up getting my diesel projects pretty damn reliable but not with out a unreal amount of money and patients and sponsor help, having a good transmission and convertor sponsor is huge in this sport. Just my 2 cents. Id suggest go back through my builds and read through some of it, It is cheaper and easier to learn from others mistakes.

Tucker

My buddy built a ~438in lsx that ran naturally aspirated on pump gas with a hydraulic cam. In his under geared 68 camaro weighing mid 3300s it went 9.85 at 139mph. A cheap ls1 build or any of the gen 3 and later motors with a cam and stock heads will push that truck into the low 11s high 10s quite easy and more than likely be far easier to deal with, cost less, and have less problems. It is your money but i've had both (cam only daily driver that ran 11.60s and eventually an all out 434 that I never ran, but buyer ran 9.70s at 3300lbs) and the drag racing edge is definitely ls motor all things considered. Good luck.

Basic bolt-on LSX will run 11's easily. Every mod past that will just be icing on the cake. Easy to work on, plenty of parts everywhere, great bang for the buck.

I don't think we want to try keeping a 4bt alive at that hp (already swapped one besides) and I think were starting to lean towards the 400/383 due to weight, ease, and hopefully less expensive... Still arguing for the smoke grinder since its what I know and can work on without hitting up google after every other idea/question.

We're pretty green when it comes to carbs and ignition setups but are setting the completion date for next spring when the snow melts, so plenty of time to work out the wrinkles

Thanks for the constructive replies guys

Definitely stick with fuel injection and keep safe distance from carburetors.

Like others have said, an LSX platform would be sweet. Parts are everywhere for those engines, tuners are all over the place, and with little effort you can go pretty fast.
A good friend of mine has a LS2 TBSS that we did simple bolt-on's, a tune, and it clicks off 12.90's. It's nothing to write home about, but it sure is fun to run and see peoples expressions when it pulls from a dig.

Well, we're going to build a 5.9...

Ill start another build thread for fun when we have enough stuff together for a couple interesting pics

Cool project! Honestly as I read through the thread I was going to suggest an initial build with a SBC just to get your "feet wet", then convert it to a diesel later.

I was going to suggest an initial build with a SBC just to get your "feet wet", then convert it to a diesel later.

Throwing caution to the wind again! Picked up the s10 last night. Rust free, ext cab, 4.3 with a NASTY knock

FA9EA8F2-85F4-48C1-A0F8-3BB1C7AAEBD0-447-000000259DDAB9F0_zps0d21d1a7.jpg

Cheers:Cheer:

Great looking truck to start off with. Start with a Dart block, skip the 3.750 and go with a 4" crank with either the 4" OR 4.125" bore. Wont matter it will be a killer combo whether its 414" or 434". Solid roller in the range of 296/315 at around .700" and a nice set of heads with a 215 or 235cc int runner. So long as they flow around 340+ cfm, next run methanol. Gas is for mowing the yard. Carb is fine, but injectors and a hat is better. Have fun!!

Tucker

We found the knock ;)
DE9D44CE-A0E9-4F91-8FC7-4B1FC494B9D4-3140-0000021D0316E66D_zps1b344f57.jpg

Going start pulling everything out next week and start saving up for the 12v and 47rh in the mean time...

What are doing with the accecories from the 4.3??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sad to say it- but we're b*tching out on the s10... Putting a stock 350 vortec in to dump on craigslist now, and trade up for a clean 80's half ton for an "easier" swap

Just had my first son, and the plans slowed down even faster than I planned lol. Circled back to this thread and I realized how big the lsx motors have gotten in the last few years! Thanks for the help-

Jake

Back