Warranty Void Thanks to Smarty

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that BOB WAGNER is a marketing GENIOUS.

He has become a houshold name and that in itself is a perfect 10 in my book.

Good work BOB.

some guys love to hate smarty. oh well I try my best.

We are getting ready to kick it up a notch.

Thanks Jackbear

fordtk12 said:
As far as the warranty issue Yes eveyone knows that when they do it they will void the warranty BUT THE POINT IS THAT THEY SAY IT IS UNDETECTABLE AND IT ISN'T THAT IS A LIE AND THEY SHOULD TAKE THAT STATEMENT OFF OF THE WEBSITE SO THAT PEOPLE CAN'T START ANOTHER THREAD LIKE THIS.

who detected it with either a starscan or drb? no one. nobody nada. :bang

fordtk12 said:
This is a diesel forum People come here to talk about things they have done, ask questons about problems they are having and what not...so why is it that when someone has a problem with a product that some people like do the people that like it have to bash the people who have a problem with it. When you see 5 threads in a 2 week time saying they are having a problem with something ahh.... bing go maybe there is something wrong with it maybe not but come on guys dont start bashin the ones that don't like it just becuase you do. If you like it and you can say that you like it they WHY CAN THE ONES THAT DON'T LIKE IT SAY THEY DON'T LIKE IT?

I will never buy one becuase I have heard more problems about them then I have good. Second becuase I like to switch on the fly.

My thing with the dry cleaner is that it took so long for a simple case to be over that should have been thrown out right away.

Mr. Hat clarifies:
I can only assume this grammatical abortion was targeted at my request to limit this thread to those with exposure to the product and for said people to post with professionalism. I don't recall bashing you for your opinion. I may however, have insinuated that your opinion was irrelevant and not needed. Let me use your words to clarify.

fordtk12 said:
WHY CAN THE ONES THAT DON'T LIKE IT SAY THEY DON'T LIKE IT?

Here's where you answer your own question.

fordtk12 said:
I for one will not ever buy a smarty.

Judging from that statement and your use of the word "ever" I'm guessing you will not be buying "another" Smarty because you've never had one in the first place. You have not stated anywhere your first-hand experience with the product. You are basing your opinion on the postings of a few troubled souls that may have had a bad experience with a product and are bringing it to light. Take it as that and move on.

This place is about the mods on your truck (Read:what you have. You can give opinion on it because you have experience with it.), and what you are thinking of putting on your truck(Read:what you want). Do not make the mistake of thinking that the people of this board want to hear you opine about the things you really don't want to buy and the psyche behind those tough decisions.

Speaking more generally now...
Everyone in diesel performance has happy customers and if in business long enough, a few unhappy customers. I don't care who you are or the reputation you have, there's someone out there that will be more than happy to b!tch about you on the internet. Its cheap, its easy, and dammit some times its therapeutic to voice your frustrations. We only ask that when you do so, you remain professional about it. Our friend 973604x4 has managed to do just that. Thank you Comp D member.

I realize that vendors may not always live up to expectations, but do not take for granted that Bob gets on here and posts in threads to help people with his product. There aren't that many manufacturers that will do that now-days.

For the record, I do not know Bob, never used his product. If Smarty Power shut its doors tonight and tomorrow opened and was making little round sugar candies I probably wouldn't even pause for a moment of reflection. But having not tried his downloader or his sugar candies, you wont hear me proudly proclaiming my disdain for the fruits of his efforts.

Um, kay?

Last edited:
Lucky Jeff said:
And you guys that buy 40-50k dollar trucks have too much money anyways, quit your whining :kick:

:clap::clap::clap: I will have to agree with this one.

I for one will never buy their sugar candies! I heard they are too sweet and taste nothing like diesel fuel, plus they can give you diabetis. A friend of mine bought some and because of the unique round shape he almost choaked! Down with Smarty Sugar Candies!

To further clarify my problems, this truck had a HTT since 25,000 miles with
NO ISSUES. No P0299, No limp mode, no hickups or stutters, no ECM hardware failure, no check engine light. The Smarty was installed at about 50,000 miles and that is when it started throwing the P0299 and P0606.

The dealer was going to install a ECM under warranty with the big turbo there - they know it did not damage the ECM. They said no on the warranty when they saw the ECM was tampered with.

So going back on if you want to play, you gotta pay - do we assume if you crash an ECM after a Smarty download, you have no right to a new ECM under warranty? Smarty claims it will not damage the ECM, which leads me back to the problems arrival with the download of the Smarty. Every issue with this truck started with the Download.

Anyone thinking a download is safe and undetectable needs to know this if they are concerned with warranty. The guys at Smarty will not tell you this stuff.

if there is a problem with an unflashed ecm even a dealer tsb or ecm update will screw the pooch

there is no way the smarty can cause the P0299 code. If you have a probable cause please post it .

The P0606 speaks for itself.

what if you choose the bullydog or ppe first. Could be the same end result.

I guess you gotta read into it..... and like it says "rookie"

Could you imagine if Microsoft made a downloader?

holy smokes this forum would be loaded with 600 post threads

I bet if good 'ol Bill Gates put his time and money into a programmer, it would kick some ass! What computer today isn't running on Microsoft? Other than the Apple.

It never happened in 25,000 miles of use with the HTT turbo before I downloaded the Smarty, but immediately after the download it started with all these issues. But you still claim it is not the Smarty.

Coincidence - maybe, but it happens too often for you to continually deny that the Smarty causes issues on some trucks.

could the addied fueling be an issue? why an aftermarket turbo with no added fueling ?

Who add's more air witthout supporting mods?

I am not here to lay blame elsewhere but toss me a bone here an d show some smarty blame.

until this points its all finger pointing and mix messages.

You have posted smaty "fried" my ecm and smarty "this" on another post without any supporting information.

If the ecm was "fried" the truck would not start and run.

You also claimed smarty caused"limp mode" which is a known fact of an aftermarket turbo, which you have agreed to in our emails.

I suplied you with a "recovery software" which cleared all the crap out of the truck and you agreed and accepted 165.00 in payal to cover the ecm restock charge.

now the truck has the same symptoms plus an "unknown error" code with the smarty off the truck and now you are asking me for a new ecm.

I have tried to work this out to no avail. Yes when the smarty "recovey" reset your key counts the ecm now become "dectable by the dealer"

But the "recovery" also solved the issues or you would not have asked for me to cover the restocking charge.

I normally would not .

We have supplied hundreds of "free" recovery softeares to correct bullydogs and PPE and other ecm brazilian code fiasco that they have caused and we have never charged a penny for the service.

Lets add all the pro's and con's and see who does what for who.

There have been a few dieslheads that chose to burn bridges and from that point you learn to lick your wounds.

Thanks

Last edited:
My SMARTY experience has been perfect from day1.

Bob works hard at providing excellent service, and Marco provides the product.

I purchased 1 SMARTY from Bob, and then 3 other units to sell to friends. All are extremely happy with their mileage boost and power increase.

I know Bob a little bit, and I trust him implicitly. To this day, I have no regrets about my SMARTY purchase.

I'd rather buy from a trusted person that I can reach any time, than from a company that puts me on hold while they locate someone who might be able to help me.

The odd thing is, enough other Flash downloaders have borked people's trucks, and when the ECM is irrecoverable, It's Bob and Marco to the rescue with a recovery flash. And while we hear a little bit about that here and there, I don't believe that they get enough credit for helping these other guys with a totally fuxored ECM. Bob and Marco could easily say 'It's not our problem, you didn't buy OUR programmer' But they don't. The HELP these guys out even when they have no reason to.

That my friends is the sure sign of a CLASS ACT .

Thank You Bob Wagner, Thank You Marco.

I will give all the credit in the world to BOB and Marco, for supplying the recovery software for other tuner's problems without question.

Bob Wagner said:
Phil, What can I offer you ? You ***** about every product you buy?

You are a legend :clap:

I have never *****ed about any Edge, Bullydog, or Quad product, for the record.

Glad to see you just laugh when I tell my Smarty story. Man, I sure wish I was still doing business with you :rolleyes:

Bob Wagner said:
some guys love to hate smarty. oh well I try my best.

We are getting ready to kick it up a notch.

You need to. Send G a copy of the file so he can have some more goods for pulling season. Stock RPM's suck. I need to put my programming in his truck...:evil

Seriously tho... How are you guys kicking it up a notch? :pop:

I tried the Smarty and besides putting my truck in limp mode, setting off fireworks on my dash, and the WILD timing rattle I guess it was ok...

Bob, you know all the mods on this truck, but I will go over it again.
TST and exhaust at 7500 miles
HTT, AirDog, Clutch, AFE at 25,000 miles
So yes there is added fueling

The Smarty was added at 50,000 miles and that is when the codes and limp in began. So 25000 miles with the big turbo and even more with the TST and no codes or limp in with all those non Smarty miles.

The codes and limp in began right after the download.

After the recovery, it quit with the hickups and rough running, but it is now throwing this unknown code. I think it has stopped the occasional injector rattle as well. I am currently running the exact software as before.

I don't care about the unknown code, it is not causing me grief any more than 0602.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back