Warranty Void Thanks to Smarty

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I do not know Bob, never used his product. If Smarty Power shut its doors tonight and tomorrow opened and was making little round sugar candies I probably wouldn't even pause for a moment of reflection. But having not tried his downloader or his sugar candies, you wont hear me proudly proclaiming my disdain for the fruits of his efforts.

Sounds like you havn't used a smarty either?

I have not used a smarty but have heard a number of complaints about them in just a little bit of time. I have no problem with Bob he is just trying to make a living. My problem is that they advertizred wrong and now there are guys on here sticking up for them with bull for excuses like you know that it will void the warranty and other stuff ok we all know that but Smarty is tricking some people with the words they use.

Once again I ask why are some of you bashing SMOKINCUMMINS for saying what happened to him to see what the problem is all about. Is that not what this forum is for?

But having not tried his downloader or his sugar candies, you wont hear me proudly proclaiming my disdain for the fruits of his efforts.

What gave you that idea?:hehe:

fordtk12 said:

I have not used a smarty but have heard a number of complaints about them in just a little bit of time. I have no problem with Bob he is just trying to make a living. My problem is that they advertizred wrong and now there are guys on here sticking up for them with bull for excuses like you know that it will void the warranty and other stuff ok we all know that but Smarty is tricking some people with the words they use.

Once again I ask why are some of you bashing SMOKINCUMMINS for saying what happened to him to see what the problem is all about. Is that not what this forum is for?

I completely agree with that...

I have not said anything bad about what the product does to anyones truck all I say is that Smarty shouldn't say is undetectable, and that there have been a few people just on this site that have had ECM problems when the put the Smarty on.

Why is it wrong for someone to say they have a problem with their truck after Smarty install. I wanted to say it again so anyone that did see or understand that the first couple of times maybe will this time.

I see it like this...there was a footprint or whatever left in the computer by the tuner that was found by Dodge....I guess that's not contested.
What I don't understand is how the Smarty is being blamed for a warranty denial. The OWNER of the truck CHOSE to use a tuner...and since ANY tuner would have left that footprint...the OWNER voided his own warranty IMHO.

It's the same aross the board...no matter what brand.
You mod your truck you're taking chances with your warranty....but it's YOUR choice to do that.
I hear it all the time on the Ford forums...."so and so tuner voided my warranty" No...your decision to use said tuner voided your warranty.

Man up...admit you lost when you rolled the dice and pay the bill for the repairs.
It's as simple as that to me.
Anyone that believes ANY marketing hype about something not voiding a warranty probably shouldn't be doing this crap.

For anyone thinking of buying a Smarty, it is not foolproof. I had a ECM crash on an 04.5 after downloading the Smarty. I ran the recovery sent to me by Bob Wagner. The recovery wiped out the ECM and left a fingerprint on the ECM. Now Dodge will not warranty it because it has had a Downloader installed. This Smarty was purchased because it is safe and undetectable, but yet Dodge found it.

This is the first comment about his problem. I dont see anything wrong with it. All he was doing is letteing people know that the deal can see that something was on it.

What is the Big deal with him saying that?

I see it like this...there was a footprint or whatever left in the computer by the tuner that was found by Dodge....I guess that's not contested.
What I don't understand is how the Smarty is being blamed for a warranty denial. The OWNER of the truck CHOSE to use a tuner...and since ANY tuner would have left that footprint...the OWNER voided his own warranty IMHO.

It's the same aross the board...no matter what brand.
You mod your truck you're taking chances with your warranty....but it's YOUR choice to do that.
I hear it all the time on the Ford forums...."so and so tuner voided my warranty" No...your decision to use said tuner voided your warranty.

Man up...admit you lost when you rolled the dice and pay the bill for the repairs.
It's as simple as that to me.
Anyone that believes ANY marketing hype about something not voiding a warranty probably shouldn't be doing this crap.

All that is being said is that Smarty should not say it is undetectable that is it. Others have blown it out of shape

You know what. There is one way to see if the Smarty is undetectable or not. As I understand it, if you run Smarty and return it back to stock the dealer shouldn't be able to detect that the Smarty was ever there, correct? Anyone have a good relationship with a Dodge service tech and own a Smarty?

Mike, several tech's over on the TDR have done the exact same thing.

undetectable.

my .02....

From the day I brought my truck home, I knew I was going to be all the warranty I had. The mods started immediately.

I had to make a trip back to the dealer for my LSD It was supposed to be installed when I bought it but, they never got around to it.

I wanted to test Smarties claim of not being detectable so, I drove to the dealer with the smarty installed. In the parking lot of the dealer, I returned my truck to stock. Keep in mind I still have my TST installed.

I know the tech there so I asked if he would get into the ECM to see what he sees. He asked why and I told him I wanted to see if he could tell that I had programmers or performance boxes installed.

While standing there looking at the TST box, he said all he could see was a ABS code likely caused by my larger tires. I said are you sure and he said look for yourself. There was nothing there to show anything is or was installed. IMO, Smarties claim of being non detectable is true..... but ! I will add, that's on your basic no problems visit.

As we all know if you went to the dealer with a catastrophic failure .... it's very likely they WILL find what caused it. They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't.

I still stand by the fact that the software won't cause a hardware failure. If the ECM actually toasted.... there's more to it.

I've been a perfectly happy Smarty user. Downloads go without a hitch, they upload to the truck without a problem and I've never had any performance issues from using it. Bob is a great guy and from everything I've seen throughout the forums will do everything he can to make a problem right. Marketing genius maybe... what I see is a lot of customer support too which is imperative now a days. Maybe that's why his marketing has done as well as it has.

Last edited:
LETS BET THE STRAIGHT, SMARTY DID NOT LEAVE A TRACE OF ANYTHING AND IT WAS NEVER DETECTED. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I supplied a recovery softwar that fixed the ecm but when you do a recovery YOU RESET THE KEY COUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is it is it clear now the smarty was never detect but the key counts were reset from the recovery software.

Is this finally clear as mud

SMARTY IS U N D E T E C T A B L E some guys need to get over it:thankyou2:

$.02 If whining fixed trucks, this guy would have a gem.

I have a Smarty on my 2nd gen and I honestly can't complain. No, I did not purchase it through Bob and I prefer the customer service from my other place of purchase - HOWEVER:

Bob did not force you to buy a Smarty. It was not shoved down your throat, and installed without your knowing by a programmer bandit. YOU installed it, thus YOU knowingly took a risk, and YOU voided your warranty.

Sure, it's advertised as undetectable....But they advertise that birth control prevents people from getting K.U'd, too and we all know that always doesn't happen.

If the dealer didn't detected it then they couldn't void the warranty because they had no proff it was there right?

If enough products are sold, there will be an occassional problem. When a person does have a problem, it is the responsibility of the seller and the buyer to act in a responsible manner to take care of the problem. I have had problems with the Edge, bullydog, and predator. The edge and predator was taken care of and they treated me fairly. The bullydog was something I was warned about, so it was also my responsibility. The problem I did have with bullydog, was lack of communication. Bob has answered or returned my calls promptly every time I've tried to contact him.. If he were trying to screw anyone here, I don't believe he would be speaking openly on the forums. From what I've read, he has also tried to help those out there that have had problems. If a person had a completely stock truck with ecm problems and the smarty was the only downloader ever used on the truck, I could definitely see a problem. When other mods are added to the mix, it makes reasons for problems be up in the air.. Up in the air always points to the owners responsibility. I have no ties with Bob, Smarty, or anyone else.. I finance my own addiction. As far as what's to come for everyone.. With a 62-14 and 90hp DDP injectors my truck dynoed 543 peak hp, and 500hp at 3930 rpm at the limiter. Since then, I have tried other tunes that have made the truck considerably more powerful. Last time at the track it trapped 112.96 on this simple combination at 6,350 pounds.

Last edited:
DirtyBlonde said:
$.02 If whining fixed trucks, this guy would have a gem.

I have a Smarty on my 2nd gen and I honestly can't complain. No, I did not purchase it through Bob and I prefer the customer service from my other place of purchase - HOWEVER:

Bob did not force you to buy a Smarty. It was not shoved down your throat, and installed without your knowing by a programmer bandit. YOU installed it, thus YOU knowingly took a risk, and YOU voided your warranty.

Sure, it's advertised as undetectable....But they advertise that birth control prevents people from getting K.U'd, too and we all know that always doesn't happen.

Very smart lady here boys.

I didn't even sell this smarty Matt bought it from TST:bang

who's taking the heat :welcome:

Has Matt even called TST? Hell no

I try my best and that is all I can do. If I batted 100% I would be walking on water. LOL

Factor "S" Happens :dead-horse-fast2:

and that bright lady was pictured in Diesel Power Magazine with her smarty in hand.

Thank you DB :rockwoot:

Bob Wagner said:
and that bright lady was pictured in Diesel Power Magazine with her smarty in hand.

Thank you DB :rockwoot:

Ha. You're very welcome. I've had an unbelievably odd number of guys actually ask me how I like my Smarty since that article, too. It's definintely a product that has people talking.
I have other cheesy pictures of me and that darned box, too. Wanna talk marketing? :poke:

Come to think of it though, I do have leaky axle seals since I installed the Smarty. I bet it's your fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back