Waste cooking oil in a P-Pump??

turbomatt1

Design Limit Investigator
OK... I've just come up with a supply of "clear liquid shortning"
Of corse, it's not so clear now that it's been used to cook dinner, but it's still very fluid, not congeiled, even at 50 degrees. Can I just strain the chicken chunks out of this & add it to my diesel fuel ??
If so, how much, & what's it gonna do to my performance ?
Will this add any significant lubricity back to ULSD ?

I don't think your fuel system will last long enough for the fuel savings to offset the cost of repair. If you're worried about lubricity just buy a legit additive

I don't think your fuel system will last long enough for the fuel savings to offset the cost of repair. If you're worried about lubricity just buy a legit additive

Huh?? A p-pump will pump anything but water, and will pretty much only quit then when the injectors blow apart;)

Matt, I can't say much, but it's can't be much worse than ATF in the fuel tank...and although I don't run it, the p-pump doesn't mind according to most. I would however run it through a good filter, like 2-5 micron just the be safe;)

Chris

Run it through a good water separator/filter straight into the tank, just mix it about 50/50 or less this time of year or run a good anti gel additive.

The guys running the OM617 Mercedes with a smaller version of a P Pump run straight WVO all the time with no issues so I can't see that pump's big brother having issues.

I agree with the above two posts. I would filter it to 5 microns, either heat it or run it through a water separator and try a 50/50 mix. I've been running a 2 tank system running straight wvo after its been heated in its own tank. I would think in your climate mixing it 50/50 after filter& dewatering you should be good to go. Shoot me a pm if you want more info. :rockwoot:

Also it seems to work best from what I have seen when you are going to use it right away. Like going on a trip, not just burning a tank every couple of weeks.

Thanks for the input.
I was actually thinking of adding only 2-3 gallons per tankfull, hoping to give some lubrisity back to the ULSD. 50-50 is a lot more than I would prob ever burn. BUT... the truck often sets parked for a week or so at a time & a tank of fuel will sometimes last me 2 months, as I'm often driving something else.

Will the cooking oil actually add any significant amount of lubrication ?

Few year ago I made the test with 30% micture of Soja Oil and diesel in my 98 12V,

Performance : same like diesel
Problems: non, so far
Exhaust semell: smells like McDonalds
Starting: no problem
Smoke: same like diesel

My advice, if it's free, just add 20% to diesel and you will be OK

there is a lot of info on the web about this. some things I remember were 80* then filter it. 169* and it flows like #2 and can be introduced in to the fuel system say with a seprate heated tank. some people do start on #2 then when the cooking grease gets hot switch it over. at the destination switch back to #2. others mix batches with various other fluids to change the spacific gravity so it behaves like #2. in you case I would do some low cost tests mix some up (after filtering) and see how it acts (in the weather) in a clear bottle see if it seperates or congeals. if it behaves its self runnit at that mixture. I would not hesitate to run 2 gallons in the summer per tank but when my truck runs in the summer it dont sit long. good luck.

My old man has been running SVO(straight vegtable oil) through his 94 12v for 3years now. Truck has a tick over 400k miles and hasn't missed a beat to date. As it starts to get colder out he mixes 75-25 or 50-50 with kerosene, home heating oil or just ULSD. He strains it twice before going into the tank, first with 10micron, then with a 5 micron. Also gets around 22mpg with a set of 370's, timing bumped, and a few other pump tweaks. I've also ran it in my CR a few times, ran good except it smoked quite abit on start up, most likley due to the very large injectors I was running, I'm just to busy now to always be straining batchs of fuel.

I wouldn't be worried about the pump being able to handle WVO. My Mercedes doesn't skip a beat when running WVO. I'm thinking about trying WVO in my truck but I have a few concerns like coking. I've seen some coking occurring on the injector and the heat shields in my Mercedes and this was with heated oil. I didn't see any coking on the prechambers though. After confirming the was no coking in the prechambers and pistons I confidently continued running WVO in the Mercedes. I simply removed the injectors periodically to clean the tips from coking. The Mercedes has prechambers unlike the Cummins which is a DI engine. I'm concerned if I ran WVO in the Cummins would I get coking on the pistons and injectors since the fuel is directly injected in the combustion chamber. I'm not completely familiar with how the Cummins injectors look and how prone they would be to coking on the tips. OTH I am familiar with the pistons from working on the larger Cummins engines found in the big rigs.

im actually in the process of building a second trank in my truck to heat any kind of waste oil i decide to run in my truck but im gunna filter it and strain in and run it through a water separator before the oils ever see the inside of my truck... some guys who run waste motor oil or tranny fluid even use a magnet to try and pull out microscopic pieces of metal

i cut my biodiesel with half cooking oil in the summer im a super saver. i filter it to 2 microns heat to 160 then run it threw my biodiesel dryer and then blend it with biodiesel and filter it one more time works great smells good to no worries
it will build up on metal fittings i have a sticky coating on my air dog and the fitting going into the p-pump, my vp loved the stuff but i wanted a p-pump

I just starting using peanut oil a couple days ago. I added 3 gallons to about 3/4 tank of diesel. No problems yet.

The oil was used to deep fry a turkey, it is really dark brown. I just filtered it through toilet paper, and it came out pretty clear, almost new looking. It's been -20's here the last few days, and I haven't had a problem with gelling either, unless it gelled at the bottom of the tank :( I do use a strong mix of power service.

I'm currently just filtering it through toilet paper filters. I'm making a gravity filter using polyester sock filters (down to 1 micron) from an ebay guy that has all kinds of diesel stuff.

I do like filtering it, I do it right in my apartment, it smells like thanksgiving :D

Some of the above methods will work.................for a little while.

I'd have to ask how they're checking for water content. Or if they're even dewatering. Running it throught a filter that has a water separator unfortunately won't remove the water that's suspended in the oil. Heating and settling (or using a centrifuge) are arguably the only ways of removing the microscopic water particles.

There's a whole list of potential issues of running WVO without a second, heated tank. Or not filtering properly.

I'm not the subject matter expert and I'd recommend doing some addtional research before you start experimenting.

Guys, do what you want for alternative fuel, I don't give a shiit. But I'll put my $.02 in, I've repaired just about every kind of fuel system there is due to damage caused by wvo & svo, including p-pumps. They all had massive filtering systems and they all preheated the oil. So, do what you want, but when things start to back fire and your truck doesn't run right anymore don't come on here crying about it because there will be no no sympathy coming your way! Rant off. Good luck on your adventures!

I bought 650 gallons of veggie oil last summer it was pure canola oil that this person had aquired and mixed it with 10% diesel and power service and was trying to burn it in their home furnace but it gelled up on them in the winter. I bought an extra fuel filter in case it plugged up . At first I mixed it 50/50 with diesel and after a couple tanks it ran fine. So I got brave and ran it straight. I ran it all summer and never had a problem and never changed the filter. My truck is a 96 12v with 285,000 on it and everything stock.

does power service keep wvo from gelling like it does with diesel? Or does wvo for a different kind of wax?

PowerService will make the WVO polymerize faster and I would not recommend adding it. The best thing to keep WVO from becoming Crisco is heat.

Toolman -- any idea how much coking you had? Or how much seeped into the crankcase oil when the engine was cold?

As I said, you can mix WVO with diesel or run it straight without a second tank, heating, or filtering and it WILL work............for a while. :bang

--Snake

Back