We'll see how this works...

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Ported stock manifold with a T4 flange, sent it off yesterday to be ceramic coated inside and out to help prevent it from cracking. I guess I'll find out if its gonna work at the end of the season, if its cracked yet.

SSPX0684.jpg

SSPX0685.jpg

SSPX0686.jpg

SSPX0687.jpg

Don't coat the outside. You want to let the heat that enters the part get out of it, not hold it in.

Coat the inside, and leave the outside alone.

Don't coat the outside. You want to let the heat that enters the part get out of it, not hold it in.

Coat the inside, and leave the outside alone.

That is exactly what my local speed shop told me. I was thinking of having my POS HTT manifold welded & coated.

well if the ceramic coating inside prevents the heat from being absorbed by the part, why is there a need to get so much heat out so quickly? the cost is not much for the external coating, and it will look much better than any paint finish or untreated cast. is it really gonna be that bad with an external coating.

well if the ceramic coating inside prevents the heat from being absorbed by the part, why is there a need to get so much heat out so quickly? the cost is not much for the external coating, and it will look much better than any paint finish or untreated cast. is it really gonna be that bad with an external coating.

So it does'nt stay hot. The outside coating will trap heat in the manifold

I think you mentioned it but I'm not sure, are you going to build a brace to help hold the s400?

The average part temperature will be much lower if you don't hinder it's ability to radiate away heat.

And since average part temperature determines the average amount of expansion and contraction, it's the most important aspect of the coating in the first place.

What I have found is that internally coated manifolds will often times still look like new externally even after years of use because they're simply not getting that hot anymore (comparitively).

Aside from that, looks come a distant second to functionality when it comes to breaking manifolds, shearing bolts and having to take time to repair it.

Here's an internally coated stock cummins manifold after about a year and a half of use in a pusher motorhome. The manifold it replaced was cracked horribly, and warped and leaking from multiple ports it was getting so hot.

2676572740082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

That factory pen marker number still hasn't burned off the manifold to this day. The heat just can't get in anymore. And what does, radiates away easily through the bare exterior.

This is my take. Works well for me. I was warping and cracking manifolds on a monthly basis. I haven't failed an internally coated manifold since, and it's been 3 or 4 years now.

*Individual results may vary...

:hehe:

What coating are you using?

I didn't apply it, but the guys that did called it their "2000 degree white" stuff.

Whatever that is. It's much thicker than anything else I've had done with ceramic coatings. In fact, you have to make sure you scrape any that gets on the sealing surfaces.

I understand where you are coming from, I just want it to look good as well , its not a daily driver or something thats gonna go through alot of heat cycles. as well as it doesnt get see crazy EGT's anyway, this past season i was barely seeing 1500* at the end of a pull. and i hope to keep it even cooler this year.

ill take my chances with the external coating, if it cracks i can buy another stocker, and have it coated inside only and im still less than the cost of a new 3-pc manifold.

I understand where you are coming from, I just want it to look good as well , its not a daily driver or something thats gonna go through alot of heat cycles. as well as it doesnt get see crazy EGT's anyway, this past season i was barely seeing 1500* at the end of a pull. and i hope to keep it even cooler this year.

ill take my chances with the external coating, if it cracks i can buy another stocker, and have it coated inside only and im still less than the cost of a new 3-pc manifold.

How much they charge to coat TJ? Where you getting it done? I need to do something soon before my manifold splits in half.

Classic Coatings in Sheboygan, WI...

$130 to coat inside and out with a 2000* black satin ceramic. i should have it back about the end of next week.

I'll see if it works, I wasn't gonna pay big bucks to have a stocker coated, I'll try this and see if it works. If not then next time I'll try a more expensive company. Money's tight so I figured its not gonna hurt to try it.

They claim its been tested to 2000* without the coating cracking, but they did tell me that they don't normally coat turbo manifolds inside in the chance that if it flakes off it could damage a turbine. I am taking a chance on it so we'll see how it does, if it works then great, if not I will go another route when money allows.

Of course I still have my tube manifold that could have some changes made to it, then get ceramic coated as well and may be an option down the road.

Said the same thing about coating the inside of mine. It's been 3 or more years now and while I can't see through the soot to tell if it's hanging in there well, I know that the turbine wheel on the first stage shows no signs of ever being hit with anything, and it's downstream of it all.

looks good tj. all i run is a ported stocker. i now keep my 3 piece as a back up. never again will i spend all that money on a 3 piece. i will just buy cheap stock manifolds and port them. so far the way mine has held up i wont need to buy too many.

this one is ported pretty good, and the T4 flange they welded on is pretty slick.

Classic Coatings in Sheboygan, WI...

$130 to coat inside and out with a 2000* black satin ceramic. i should have it back about the end of next week.

That is cheap! Very nice! Post some pics for us when you get it back if you will.:Cheer:

My coater told me that he couldnt coat any parts that had exhaust gases ran threw it because it wouldnt hold up. He said that he could only do bare alloy. Did your coater mention anything about that?

Back