West Coast Pull Series???

Tcolesanti

ALL NIGHTER
Sleddy, David, Dieter,

When can we get a west coast NADM pull series started? Is this even possible? We need something out here for sure, and like 10 minutes ago too.

-Tom

that would be nice to have some sort of series like this out west. the dhra was TRYING to get something like this set up in Ogden, UT, but that is looking like it is failing more every day. Maybe the NADM would be able to get something like this in place.

I second the series:rockwoot:, and am willing to help out anyway I can. Might be too late to get something going this year but plans can be made as we speak for a fresh series start next season since it seems to take quite a lot of work to promote these events.

Joe

I could see a Crude Drags, St George, Salt Lake, Sacramento series maybe if we
had more support from the diesel community out there.

NADM and Toxic have been working on a pull for later this year, but its tough.

Take Crude Drags for example. How many shops had a booth there, in a 6 hour radius?

These are the things that any event needs:

Competitors
Spectators
Local dealer support, in the form of vendor booths space
Outside sponsorship

From the events I have been to on the west coast, and the videos I have been watching, for a few years now, the west coast lacks in all areas.

So fellas, how do we fix it?
Aside from the vocal internet guys, is there just not interest in shows out there?

I'm all ears!!

pay my diesel to get there and i am in lol i would be intrested for next year

Gene, your right, everything is too spread out. Who pulls in SoCal? Joe Gheen and me. Central california, there's a bunch but none are on the internet. Sacramento area has Nick D'Amico, Scott Vorhees, Smokin93 and a few others, then the J&H boys up in NorCal. That's 800 miles between competitiors. How do we recruit more dedicated pullers?

-Tom

Yea, thats a problem. When we say west coast we consider everything west of Missouri. LOL
800 miles apart sucks, and thats one state.

Are there any other pulling events that you could promote the Diesel side of things? Even if its exhibition, you may recruit new pullers.

There's plenty of "one pull a year" puller's but I am not sure if any of them are willing to travel any more than 15 miles to go to a truck pull. I am sure the knowledge of the pulls happening is out there but I don't think the dedication is there.

-Tom

problems: now don't go harping on me as I haven't updated myself on rules and classes, so if I'm wrong just correct me and I'll edit out my comments---

1) need 8500# weight classes---(not for me I don't care I'll pull exhibition against Scott all day long)

2) fair classes---Tom, I'm going to use your truck as an example based on last yr, as I'm not sure what class you are in now and I'm not bashing you or your truck---ok if a guy shows up and has some mods and it puts him in the same class as Tom, he really needs some prodding to participate, as he thinks he has no chance---he comes to have fun and show off, but he doesn't want to get embarrassed by going up against a truck that's in a street class, but never sees the street---since I haven't seen what classes are out there now this may be a non-issue but it has been in the past---I've heard plenty of complaining over the yrs----it's the same as when we spanked the gassers in the early yrs------

these two things to me need attn out here, due to our #'s----we need to bend instead of being stuck in a "that's how we do it so buck up" mentality----yes it's hard to be fair to everyone, but I think we can maybe make it a little more fairer---you could give guys the option to pull in a lesser class and tell them if you win you get $5.00 off the next entry fee or $10.00 off or something, but you don't get the trophy or points or recognition----this guy will come back for sure vs getting his diaper handed to him and not pulling again---he will goad his friends into coming also vs telling them hey this sucks----

basically you need to bend and take the blinders off, otherwise we will continue on the current path----chris

How do we recruit more dedicated pullers?

-Tom

I agree that dedication is probably the biggest part to getting more recruits. Not too many guys out there with trucks that are solely dedicated to pulling like me, Tom, Nick, Cole, Scott, etc. I'm with Tom on the "one pull a year" guys as I know plenty of those up in the Salinas/Hollister area that have dedicated pullers but only dust them off and pull them out of the garage for hooks like the Rovella/Hollister pull in Sept./Oct every year. Just another hook for fun, possibly get a trophy and no payouts with a $30-35 participation fee.
I would be happy with payouts that would pay for the fuel to the event and back as cahammer stated. Obviously more would be great as well to help pay for the parts and such but one can only wish at this point.
I think the "Thunder on the Lot" event is going to be a good head start as last year I heard there were over 20K people attending. Now that there is a pull being held, that many people attending an event would for sure get the word spreading. Just going to have to try and get more publicity and vendors out there for help.

Joe

What's wrong with setting up a points series with Brian Massetti and maybe working out a purse with him and just go to all of his pulls? Beacause i really don't think we have enough diesels to start a diesel truck pulling series, the dedicated ones I can think of are; me, Tom C, Scott V, Nick D, Angela, Howard H, Albert, Joe G, Joel G, Victor Silveira, John Esteves, and that's about all I can think of. James and Keith silva are done, what about Matt Lewis, or Cody?
maybe we can start are own series but pull with MLM?

How many, and how far apart are Brians pulls?

Well, if he updated his site more often then a good idea would be known but according to the CSS pulling schedule there are only four events - J&H Rally in Redding June 21st, Ukiah, Reno and Gardnerville in August and that is it. Could be a start to a points series but I think a good venue for a finale championship points pull would need to be added.
L&L holds many more events with 7 in Newman alone. I like the Newman track as it seemed to be always in the perfrect condition as long as the sled is set-up right for the truck hooking. I also like the fact that Steve Lewis had consistently called me, as well as others I am sure, to ask if we would be attending any of his events. Especially to tell us that the event was rained out like the second to last event last season.:clap:

Have you been able to discuss anything with the Lewis brothers Gene?? I think they are worth a shot......

Joe

Don't know them!! It makes more sense to me, to get something going with those guys, then we could do a couple big shows.

I doubt you will ever grow it, if they have to hook against Tom and Scott though.
I'd stick with 8000 pounds, let the heavy guys run with you exhibition.

Don't know them!! It makes more sense to me, to get something going with those guys, then we could do a couple big shows.

I doubt you will ever grow it, if they have to hook against Tom and Scott though.
I'd stick with 8000 pounds, let the heavy guys run with you exhibition.

Well, seems we need to get you guys acquainted! Looks like we might have something here......

I don't have their phone numbers off hand but their e-mail address is on http://csspulling.com/index.html.

L&L's diesel class is 8K.

Good luck Gene, hope something comes about.:rockwoot:

Joe

Just for reference, I will be pulling against Scott this year at most of the brush pulls in Ca, since I have the hood stack it bumps me up a class.

-Tom

see there you go sleddy with your head stuck in the sand or maybe elsewhere--he,he---open up the 8500# classes--if no one shows what are you out---there's always 2-3 or maybe 4 guys that are shredding their truck to make weight at the last moment---this burns them the wrong way, ostrich boy----if there's only a couple of trucks you can surely just let them pull exhibition against themselves vs lumping them in a class where they have no chance----my vote is with MLM, but L&L does have the track at their disposal, but what about stands and concessions and the like???? this needs to be taken into account also---the fans need to be somewhat comfortable so more attend .........chris

Back