What are the personal safety requirements for an 8.99 car

Mike, Please Put saftey first, do it right, if the cost is bothering you, sell the truck.

I am putting safety first, not skimping on safety equipment. and I don't mind paying for safety, I mind paying someone else to tell me I'm safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mike the NHRA licensing process is not really that hard. I have the military doctors at the Navy do mine when due. I’ve signed a lot of license off in my 25 years to have a NHRA license. Go by what NHRA’s requirements are and don’t worry about anyone else. IHRA will accept you NHRA license with a cross over membership fee. Mike will help you on your chassis , take it to him before you get the engine or transmission in , then you will not have to work around it with anything he ask you to do to be safe.

As far as SFI 3.2 driving suits, a SFI3.2-5 ( $250 - $500) is more than sufficient for what you are doing. The SFI 3.2 -15 ( $1200 - $ 2000) suits is for faster than 7.50 and top fuel uses a SFI 3.2-20 ( $2000+ )
Randy at RPM performance the data logger people runs his 10,5 car out at that track a lot , and he crew chiefs a ADRL Pro Mod . He is former US Marine and I know he will help you get you license signed off

Last edited:

As far as SFI 3.2 driving suits, a SFI3.2-5 ( $250 - $500) is more than sufficient for what you are doing.

Since he has a turbo it will depend on whether his firewall is 0.024" steel or not. If it were me and the firewall is aluminum I would convert it to steel to avoid the 3.2a/15 suit (which also needs to be recertified every 5 years).

One often-overlooked section of the rules pertains to fire suits and power adders. If the vehicle runs 7.50-9.99 and has something other than a stock or 0.024" steel firewall (such as an aluminum firewall as is common in tube chassis cars) then if you run a turbo, supercharger or nitrous then you need an SFI 3.2A/15 suit (same as Top Fuel), and SFI 3.3/5 shoes & gloves.

I had to go with a SFI 3.2-15 suit because of the advanced ET. I went with an Impact suit.
I would make sure the fire wall is good to go because the 15 suit has a few disadvantages in having to recertify every 5 years and bulkiness

SFI suits need to be recerted every 2 years along with window nets and belts, according to NHRA

Its steel, thicker Than .024.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
that is great your good to go

SFI 3.2 -15 and - 20 suits are every 5 years

2.5 Each 3.2A/10 or higher level "manufacturer certified" driver suit shall be
inspected every five years by the "certifying manufacturer" for re-certification.
After inspection, when the suit is determined to be acceptable for continued
service, a new conformance label marked with the year of inspection shall be
used.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/Spec_3.2A_112901.pdf

Last edited:
Back