Wheel Speed

1997-12

Rookie to this game
I am getting my trans. geared different so i have more than one gear i can pull in, last year i ran 3.55 and 3rd low but that was to slow and 2nd high i couldn't stay on top of the charger. lets say that the truck will run 4500rpm down the track i was wondering what speeds would be the best, i was thinking making one gear to run 32mph @4500rpm and another 35mph @4500 rpm how does this sound? it is a 2.6 truck

Wheel speed is good but sticking to the track mabey a thought also.... I made small chassis changes nothing major and it did way more for me than dropping a gear or bumping a gear.... In a perfect world if a human could balance the 2 u might win.
Brandon

You need to have a long talk with Sleddy. He'll explain how torque is what rules the pullin track, and that wheel-speed is for pansies that think power is real.

;)

You need to have a long talk with Sleddy. He'll explain how torque is what rules the pullin track, and that wheel-speed is for pansies that think power is real.

;)

i understand that im just trying to get an idea what gearing i need

Wheel speed is good but sticking to the track mabey a thought also.... I made small chassis changes nothing major and it did way more for me than dropping a gear or bumping a gear.... In a perfect world if a human could balance the 2 u might win.
Brandon

Enlighten me B...I cant change gears this year so i need to get the advantage somewhere else

The closer you get your wheel speed to your actual vehical speed the better, but it will all depend on tire selection, track condition, and the type of sled being used.

i understand that im just trying to get an idea what gearing i need

I was being sarcastic.

But anyway, you're running a 3.55 R&P? Is that to keep the pinion size up or why?

Otherwise, the lower (numerically higher) your R&P set is, the less torque you'll have on your driveline trying to twist driveshafts and break output shafts and such.

Might run more gear in the diff and less at the trans for strength reasons.

Had any driveshaft or output shaft problems?

I was being sarcastic.

But anyway, you're running a 3.55 R&P? Is that to keep the pinion size up or why?

Had any driveshaft or output shaft problems?

Im running the 3.55 to keep the size up and i have two extra sets of R&P's the drive shaft is custom made with 1480 yokes on both ends, and no output shaft problems yet.

Wheel speed is definitely not the total answer. The guys with less power and wheel speed clean my clock on a loose track. Sadly the majority of the tracks we pull on are marginal at best.

Tight red clay track. Check out the ground speed compared to the next vid.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_oFWpVKNk[/MEDIA]

Typical greasy clay track.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72823GX5Tw[/MEDIA]

1997-12 I am assuming your Anthonys buddy with the blue dodge that pulls with us? If that is the case yes you defiantly need more wheel speed. With my CR truck I always monitored my wheel speed with my juice and most the time I was in the 27mph range. If it's an all out pulling truck technically wouldn't it be ebtter to gear it up high enough where your could pull a direct gear on the right track and drop to 2nd high on a tight track? Also on Tyrel's truck it was a orginal 5speed truck. Before Tyrel bought it SHaun put a 6 speed in it to give him more gear options. Tyrel was able to pull 4th low all year with a 3.54 gear ratio and beat me even when I pulled 5th low and had more wheel speed. SO swapping in a NV5600 could always be an option as well?

yeah im anthonys buddy, i have all the power i need i just need more speed, the nv5600 really isn't an option as the funds arn't there for that, and i came across this guy that would do this for about the same as changing the ratio in the diffs. and this way i would have more than one gear to chose from.

Im in the same boat as you and cant afford a full drivetrain swap for this season. I talked to brad from scheids and what he told me was for the 2.8 class they like to run a 15.50 to 16 final. Our low 3rd is 16.07 and low 4th with 4.10s and a 6 speed is a 15.54. In mph that is not that different so he basically told me to save my money and put some rpms behind it.

Wheel speed is definitely not the total answer. The guys with less power and wheel speed clean my clock on a loose track. Sadly the majority of the tracks we pull on are marginal at best.

Tight red clay track. Check out the ground speed compared to the next vid.

Typical greasy clay track.

You just need to plant that power to the track. Those vids don't show how you usually over power the track. Spinning 8k rpm down the track without planting the tires is useless.:hehe: You get that thing planted, we are all in trouble.

Kman, it looked like ol Hillary was making it tuff on the take off. All three time my brothers truck broke was with his sled on take off.

Tim

Is it just me, it didn't sound like it had enough rpm in that video.

yeah it was only running arround 3800 down the track, i got that problem fixed now and pulled a few times @4500rpm down the track and it was still to slow. i have a video somewhere ill try to get on here

Back