When to lock the converter

My 05 is set to lockup at 12mph which it is still in first gear at the time. It does this with a pressure switch. I arm the lockup before I stage, and then it locks once I hit 12mph. I can adjust the lockup mph with the pressure switch, but 12mph works well on my truck. This is with a full billet transmission built by Ultimate Transmission. They setup the pressure switch.

My 02 won't lock until 2nd gear. I find it better to wait until it shifts to 2nd and then lock it up. Having it lock and shift to 2nd at the same time, can cause it to shift un-predictably. It's more consistent throwing the lockup switch when it shifts to second.

Paul
What kind of pressure switch are you running? I've found the Hobbs pressure switch to be quite unreliable

Well I didn't get a bite.

I don't believe the theory stated before for converter clutch hydraulic path is correct.
I believe the clutch circuit is full flow and metered out flow. Shut the valve and the clutch applies.
This isn't exclusive to Chryslers design.

I also know that my "mystery switch" was a resistive circuit, causing a slow clutch reaction due to poor saturation of the lockup solenoid. This essentially is that question you guys asked about slipping the converter. It should be as simple as making sure you have a PWM capable solenoid to control metering out and a driver to control it.

Edit: I checked the service manual and this is correct information.
I'm not sure when the circuit begins to lube, but activation is metered out flow control.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Last edited:
My 05 is set to lockup at 12mph which it is still in first gear at the time. It does this with a pressure switch. I arm the lockup before I stage, and then it locks once I hit 12mph. I can adjust the lockup mph with the pressure switch, but 12mph works well on my truck. This is with a full billet transmission built by Ultimate Transmission. They setup the pressure switch.

My 02 won't lock until 2nd gear. I find it better to wait until it shifts to 2nd and then lock it up. Having it lock and shift to 2nd at the same time, can cause it to shift un-predictably. It's more consistent throwing the lockup switch when it shifts to second.

Paul

Ive considered locking in first, with a full throttle switch with one of these wired in. Instead of using mph I would delay the lock by a half second or full second so the truck is actually rolling decent before lockup is thrown.

unfortunately I dont have a billet output yet, so Ive put off doing this.

DAYTON Relay, Solid St, 1NO12-125 VDC, 0.1-10Sec - Time Delay Relays - 5WML8|5WML8 - Grainger Industrial Supply

edit: this one is off-delay, haven't found an on-delay yet

Last edited:
So who is going to try the pwm to the clutch solenoid?

So who is going to try the pwm to the clutch solenoid?

I'm still trying to imagine an application for doing this. The only thing i can figure is when you can't run a tight converter to spool a large single.

So a lose converter get the rpm's up make some boost, apply the clutch a little to add more load at a higher rpm than you could with a tight converter at a lower rpm, go, lock, shift

Sure. Someone mentioned it. I'm curious myself. You have the same thought on it that I have.

Ive considered locking in first, with a full throttle switch with one of these wired in. Instead of using mph I would delay the lock by a half second or full second so the truck is actually rolling decent before lockup is thrown.

unfortunately I dont have a billet output yet, so Ive put off doing this.

DAYTON Relay, Solid St, 1NO12-125 VDC, 0.1-10Sec - Time Delay Relays - 5WML8|5WML8 - Grainger Industrial Supply

edit: this one is off-delay, haven't found an on-delay yet

I recently ordered one of these for something non automotive, but it works well and can delay on, off, or on a repeatable cycle. It is cheap enough may be worth a try.
Input Voltage Optional Relay Cycle Timer Module PLC Home Automation Delay | eBay

They should grin and accept your monetary contribution.

Back