When to lock the converter

Yup im with jason, a factory valve body will only lock in 3rd and od since that hasn't been specified yet.

it not a factory valve body... mine locks up in 2nd as well but it didn't in oem config brah.

I've never heard of a factory vb locking in second.

There was a thread around showing where to apply epoxy in the VB to activate 2nd lockup. I can't see one doing it from the factory without debris blocking the flow path

From my Not-So-Smart phone

esysere6.jpg

e6yqe3aj.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mine is also from Dave at goerend and they built mine to lock in any gear. Its a 47re and the vb is a full manual..it does everything I tell it to do:hehe:

Going with a tighter converter satisfied any low speed power to the wheels needs. One day I may put in a real ratchet shifter but out side of that, I have what I believe to be a high power, streetable and fun setup, Manual VB and all. :)

Just gota keep the rods from bending....

My truck never came with a fancy VB to begin with... brah..

Meh we are saying the same thing just differently brah and seei g as how your truck was a manual from the factory, you dont have much oem factory experience with an auto in your truck LOL

Last edited:
Going with a tighter converter satisfied any low speed power to the wheels needs. One day I may put in a real ratchet shifter but out side of that, I have what I believe to be a high power, streetable and fun setup, Manual VB and all. :)

Im with you man..im more worried of the rods exiting stage left or right of my block than bending:hehe:

ATS Co-pilot, suncoast shift enhancer... Anyone use one?
Or what about a PCS.. Can i tell it exactly when to lock and engage od?

Didnt you get some of dem fancy rods?

A stock 47re will lock in 2nd, but only if the shifter is in Drive. Not sure about the rh. I think the jb weld mod shown here is too allow lockup in manual 2nd?

Didnt you get some of dem fancy rods?

Yes. Plan is to pick it up this Saturday! I got a bigger AirDog ready to install to solve the fuel starvation issue. Week of break in and off to the last test and tune of the year to see if I can tickle a 10.99 pending any issues.

Mine is a 47rh Tim barber built as I said before I beleve Tim builds his own vb. I have only tried locking in 2nd and it will lock once I hit the switch

When i went to my 3200 stall converter i found out that i needed to lock up in first, and i droped a tenth on my 60 foot. So lock it up on green.

My 05 is set to lockup at 12mph which it is still in first gear at the time. It does this with a pressure switch. I arm the lockup before I stage, and then it locks once I hit 12mph. I can adjust the lockup mph with the pressure switch, but 12mph works well on my truck. This is with a full billet transmission built by Ultimate Transmission. They setup the pressure switch.

My 02 won't lock until 2nd gear. I find it better to wait until it shifts to 2nd and then lock it up. Having it lock and shift to 2nd at the same time, can cause it to shift un-predictably. It's more consistent throwing the lockup switch when it shifts to second.

Paul

Back