Who has not broke a billet input shaft that is making BIG POWER?

CL2000

I just broke a billet input shaft 2 months ago which dosent suprise me and my friend broke his last night. What I want to know is who hasnt broke a billet input that beats their truck that makes huge power and pulls or races? Just kinda curious I have seen two brands break mulitple times and I dont want to bash them on here. Just trying to think ahead so I dont have to buy another $750 shaft and spend $500 to get the converter fixed plus the rebuild and pump.

Don't know what you consider "big power" but I'm @ 571hp and have beat on my truck a considerable amount... Lots of drag racing, boosted launches, and many burnouts, and haven't had any problems with my DTT shaft.

Lavon

I havent broke mine

Oh wait, I am only about 350hp:doh: :kick:

Seriously though, that sucks. What flexplate are you and your buddy running? I have heard the ATS ones can cause problems because they dont flex, but I have no idea.

Eric

500hp+ level for months. Can't keep tires on the truck. Lost count of boosted launches. Never had issues with my DTT.

If you mentioned who's shafts you broke, I wouldnt consider it a bash, more of a hey I just busted ***'s shaft kinda post. Its when a post goes on for 10 paragraphs about how youll never reccomend them to anyone, bla bla bla then its bashing. I Personally have ruined 2 SBC clutches. See. Not so bad eh?:Cheer:

We both run suncoast plates. I have a suncoast shaft which Im almost sure they dont make in house, Ive seen the ATS shafts break. My friend that just broke his has already broke a DTT once before. I know there is only so much you can do when there is so little area to work with. Im just curious.... couldnt someone make a bigger shaft? I know the pump would have to be different, but heck all of us are already buying aftermakret converters and and billet shafts.......

hey chad, i was at 713 for a while and now i am over 800:woohoo: and i have done countless boosted launches at 20psi and i havnt had one problem.

Making bigger shafts would mean redesigning the entire tranny. Not that easy. All the major guys use the Sonnax 300M billet shafts. I have heard OPIE Parts makes his own shafts. I heard they are different in someway. You might give them a holler.$.02 I haven't broken my shafts with 700plus HP. My HTS tranny has been in the truck for 7 months. I wonder if you have a end play problem in the input shaft.$.02

What's "BIG POWER"? Anything is breakable, it's the company that stands behind it when it breaks that counts. Holler at Tim Barber, he's helped me with a hardened shaft that I couldn't break. PM me for contact info.

brnaodn.

sootman said:
All the major guys use the Sonnax 300M billet shafts.

That's good news cause I just bought one of their brand new one piece billet inputs.

copy/paste from Opieparts :

Welcome to Intelligent Engineering!

Home of the strongest transmission shafts and best high performance fuel system upgrades available. If you own a Cummins or Duramax powered pick-up and want the best parts then you've come to the right place

Note:! No warranty for IE input shaft if you use stock or billet aluminium flexpalate.

According to Opie : DTT billet flexplate is OK

I think Opie have also his own billet flexplate available.

Last edited:
I didnt want to hijack this thread so I started a new one about all of Opies new parts.Its in the dodge comp. and performance forum.

Cummins Driver said:
I havent broke mine

Oh wait, I am only about 350hp:doh: :kick:

Seriously though, that sucks. What flexplate are you and your buddy running? I have heard the ATS ones can cause problems because they dont flex, but I have no idea.

Eric
They call them flexplates for a reason.

Thats why I went with laminated instead of a billet chunk. Keeps a little flex in the flexplate. I've never seen a laminated flexplate tear the center out/break.

Also, when you say boosted launches, how much boost are you trying to hold? 30+ psi on the brake is going to break shafts eventually, no matter who made it.

joefarmer said:
What's "BIG POWER"? Anything is breakable, it's the company that stands behind it when it breaks that counts. Holler at Tim Barber, he's helped me with a hardened shaft that I couldn't break. PM me for contact info.

brnaodn.

600hp+. Well do you know any one that stands behind there product? My friends shop couldnt get any help out on my trans and it was still in the 3 year warranty, all they said was the billet input is a race part no can do.... They couldnt even help out on fixing the converter. Im pretty sure the Suncoast shafts are Sonnax after getting mine from suncoast it was in a Sonnax box.

I don't know of any tranny shop that will warranty the cost of a billet shaft. I believe Dusty told me that he would warranty other parts failures due to shaft breakage but I was paying for a new shaft or shafts. Billet or not they are the weak point to a dodge tranny. Vehicle weight plays a huge part in lifetime of a shaft also.$.02

im not sure what big power is but i have twisted a few inputs and mid shafts. never broke one. i use a laminated flexplate too.

AsTroSS said:
According to Opie : DTT billet flexplate is OK

I think Opie have also his own billet flexplate available.

The Reactor billet ALUMINUM flexplate is ok. The billet STEEL flexplate is not warrantied. IIRC, Opie's own flexplate hasn't been released to the public yet.

Opie stands behind his shafts.

brandon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back