Who has not broke a billet input shaft that is making BIG POWER?

DIESEL POWER said:
so does anyone warranty there input shafts besides opie?
Nobody that I have dealt with does. You can break anything with a cummins. I bet you can break one of Opie's shafts too. I guess you have to run his converter with his input due to the spline count???

sootman said:
Nobody that I have dealt with does. You can break anything with a cummins. I bet you can break one of Opie's shafts too. I guess you have to run his converter with his input due to the spline count???
The big shaft yes. The stock size Opie billet shaft will work with any OEM spec torque converter.

brandon.

Here is a fine example of OPIEs Dimartino shaft. NOT warranteed. He changed his stance on flexplates after the sale of these parts and left high and dry. I have spoken to atleast 5 other peple who have had breakage f his parts withing the 1st week of purchase and install. The reactor plate is good, but your converter needs to be machined or the flexplate needs to be machined, at which point the sfi rating is out the door. OPie argues with his custmers and after I said he is a liar and a thief he called me a "off ramp race champ", his qtr mile numbers arent much different than mine, and I sled pull. Please, for you and your trucks sake go elseware! Steve
bondotruck010.jpg

Burner said:
Can you clear up the sfi rating?
Most of the pulling associations require a SFI approved flexplate if you're over 4500 RPM. If you make any modifications, then you're no longer certified and have to send it in for a re-cert.

branodn.

Burner said:
Opie hasn't done this or ?????..........
Huh? I believe all the billet flexplates on the market are SFI rated. I don't think Opie's is public yet.

brandon.

Bondo what are the details of your truck? Hp,Tire size.........

:hehe:
BONDO said:
Here is a fine example of OPIEs Dimartino shaft. NOT warranteed. He changed his stance on flexplates after the sale of these parts and left high and dry. I have spoken to atleast 5 other peple who have had breakage f his parts withing the 1st week of purchase and install. The reactor plate is good, but your converter needs to be machined or the flexplate needs to be machined, at which point the sfi rating is out the door. OPie argues with his custmers and after I said he is a liar and a thief he called me a "off ramp race champ", his qtr mile numbers arent much different than mine, and I sled pull. Please, for you and your trucks sake go elseware! Steve
bondotruck010.jpg
That shaft don't look right.... Got a Sonnax 300M on the desk in front of me and they look different. No taper where there should be on the opie shaft. Shaft looks like it twisted before it broke? front hub gear isn't the same either. Is that out of a 48? It doesn't look like its been treated hence the light color.:pop:

Just got in from the Boise truck event and this has been an interesting read. There are only three main manufacturers of input shafts that I know of for our Dodges right now. Sonnex, TCS and IE. (ATS is suppose to be comeing out with their own style but I havent scene it.) Most the pics I see on the internet are of the TCS shafts.
Only IE warrents their shafts to my knowledge. DTT quit using IE shafts this year so I doubt they will warrent the Sonnex ones if they fail. The flexplate saga met its climax on the beginning of this year. IE tried to prevent the use of billet flexplate combinations and paid with replacement of failures as the end customer was unaware of the bad track record.
The warrantee on IE shafts is two years. On the two piece shafts if you are outside of two years you can buy just the shaft by itself (at half of what the input shaft/piston retainer costs) and the two year warrantee will be renewed. IE forged one piece shafts are a few hundred foot pounds stronger than the billet ones. The one piece shafts have held up very well with some pretty impressive trucks. The third gens took a big jump in hp this year and a few things had to be updated. I owe a lot of thanks to the patients of the Test trucks being used. Unfortunately the diesel products market has a track record of being a dirty one when it comes to copying ideas for the only purpose of making profit on others R&D. But there is more on the way.

As for Bondo he came to my house w/ Lenny the owner of DDP prior to a Banks truck competition. He bought all my shafts and a front drum. He did ok at the event but later the Dimartino shaft being used tip was ripped off and the shaft and had a candy cained crack all the way down it. At this time there had already been a couple two piece shafts that had tips ripped off in a similar manner. The input shaft was warranted but it was stated that IE was not sponsaring his pulling truck and if it happened again he wouldn't like it. So when he broke the next one (the one in the pic) he became the first customer with a shaft under two years old not to get a warrantee. Anyway, the shaft was sent in for analysis as where a couple two piece units that broke in the same violent manner. 5140 steel was impregnated between the splines, this was a new turbine hub material for that application at the time and all three shafts had it. During/after the pzzing matches time was spent to figure that one out. Also after that same time a new transmission company has been evolving that is also helping out/doing some new upgrades. Bondo I will try to hold you to your words of never buying/using another product of IE's. It was stated that "You Opie are a liar and a thief, plain and simple." on another site. That liar and a thief still is doing all he can to make the transmission world a much better place. Just like the outputs and intermediates the strongest input shafts are made by IE. To say otherwise would be incorrect.

Also IE has made two wheel drive output shafts in the past, one of which is ran in a truck up here called Coal-train.

No matter where ones input shaft really comes from Canada, Tiawan, or the U.S...I would recommend makeing sure ones tranny builder warrantees their shafts they install prior to buying one.

Thanks for reading my mini input shaft novel,

Opie

The input shaft was warranted but it was stated that IE was not sponsaring his pulling truck and if it happened again he wouldn't like it.
By sponsoring you mean "the strongest shafts in the worlds" warantee being void?? Its funny that "you break these unbreakable shafts again and you won't like it" instead of when you put these new shafts in you might want to take your billet flexplate out and put in xxx. As I've found that the flexplates are to blame and not my heat treater as I previously thought. NO IE decided to spring that on BONDO when he asked WTF the D'martino big bad MoFo just broke again??? IE then stated "well I told you you'd be sorry"
Thaks for the donation and have a nice day..........
:confused:
Did I miss something here or is there some business classes I need to take to understand the screwing of the customer some more??

sootman said:
:hehe:
That shaft don't look right.... Got a Sonnax 300M on the desk in front of me and they look different. No taper where there should be on the opie shaft. Shaft looks like it twisted before it broke? front hub gear isn't the same either. Is that out of a 48? It doesn't look like its been treated hence the light color.:pop:
IE has decided to make their shafts of the era twist before they break. That way you get an entire transmission instead of just a shaft when they SHATTER.......

Yap yap yap

K5KRAZIE said:
By sponsoring you mean "the strongest shafts in the worlds" warantee being void?? Its funny that "you break these unbreakable shafts again and you won't like it" instead of when you put these new shafts in you might want to take your billet flexplate out and put in xxx. As I've found that the flexplates are to blame and not my heat treater as I previously thought. NO IE decided to spring that on BONDO when he asked WTF the D'martino big bad MoFo just broke again??? IE then stated "well I told you you'd be sorry"
Thaks for the donation and have a nice day..........
:confused:
Did I miss something here or is there some business classes I need to take to understand the screwing of the customer some more??

Aaron your club of high dynoing, big talking slow track time trucks bores me. I gave Bondo the option of getting his money back in leu of the part that I replaced at my cost as he was going to be bringing DDP's best at the Banks event. As I stated earlier it reminded me of you avoiding dynoing your own 780 hp truck at diesel thunder. The one that you sold after running way too much NOS in, the one that broke one of the two output shafts that I warranteed last year, you remember the one that you took to DTT for a transmission probably at 300-400 hp at which time put one of my input shafts in... Is this not true?

BTW as for business classes, find another company that gives warrantee on performance hard parts, I would really like to see the one that does so for seasoned dyno, experienced drag racer/pullers like yourself and Bondo. FWIW As stated above I basically sold them parts at my cost and got to pay for the one he broke. On the flip side had it not been for this pew, I would only still only be making a shafts.

Yes my shafts are designed to twist not shatter. No need for a retwist of an exsisting thread when you can just reread it. http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28631&st=60

Post 75 is as good as it gets in my opinion.

Do you have anything new of any real meaning technical or experience wise to offer to this conversation?

Have you even lost an input shaft?

Have you raced your truck at the track this year?

People here are interested in current real world performance/solutions, I really don't see you having anything to offer. How about going away for a while so the big boys that actually race can talk about real problems.

Thanks,

Opie

OPIE, i have never, ever, ever been to your house, ever. I was at a UFC fight party when a guy sold me some parts at a guy named lennys house. I have never ever broke a tcs input shaft yet. As for track time? my truck never broke at the track, it broke towing a race truck with no motor in it, and the other broke on the way home from my mother in laws house, both times I had my infant daughter in the truck, and if you havent guessed, infants dont like 4wd drive launches. So really I am using these new parts in the manner in which they broke. I think your shafts should include a line pressure guage, because when they crack your transmission goes into self destruct every extra mile that gets driven. Hey man, i am just an OFF ramp racer, the real big boys outta be able to break these just pulling their trucks off the trailer. stev

joefarmer said:
Huh? I believe all the billet flexplates on the market are SFI rated. I don't think Opie's is public yet.

brandon.

I could be wrong, but isn't Opie making a flexplate for BD?

I won't banter back and forth with you here this is too good a site to get into it with an internet bully.
Do I expect another company to warranty their parts? NO I do not as they say UP FRONT no warranty Instead of "you break these parts and you'll be sorry"......
I know you gave BONDO a screeming deal, I knew at the time you made the deal that you made bad a$$ parts, I heard what you told BONDO about said parts. However what you charged BONDO obvously wasn't enough to keep him in the loop about the flexplate issue you claim to have known about when warranting his first set of broken shafts!!! WTF!!
As for too much spray and my truck avoiding a dyno?? When in race mode I will not back down from ANYTHING. I also can tell you that I had a modest amount of NO2 in that truck which is still running in my driveway and has NEVER been to DTT. I only had one of your...............excuse me 2 of your OUTPUT shafts in that truck one of which broke if I'm not mistaken an extreemly short time after installation before which the STOCK shaft was in place. The second shaft had been put in right before the NHRDA nationals last year had a drive from Canada to the track on it for miles and a full day of racing lets call it 12 passes then a trip back up to Canada, as for the condition of that shaft........Well I would say you know better than anyone as you took it from the builder before we all could see the twist it had in it.....
My issue is with your lack of information, I'm loyal to a fault and at the time I stood up for you and your parts telling people that "he will get it sorted out" and "don't worry, Opie he will stand behind his s#!t" Guess who ended up looking like a DA!!
The problem was I stuck with your product for so long I was no longer competitve.......

K5KRAZIE said:
The problem was I stuck with your product for so long I was no longer competitve.......

ouch. my tranny builder has a 3 year no questions asked warranty on ALL parts. and he knows what i do with my truck.

Chad, I havent broke anything in my trans yet, all DTT here. And you know that I am not easy on my truck. I have broken some part of the rearend at the last 3 pulls that I went to all in the last week.

Bondo and K5crazie I am done with reading / replying to you two it just to big of a waste of time. I guess my memories of you two being over my house are all my imagination. The two overdrive teardowns installing output shafts sure seems so real. Heck my imagination remembers how pissed DTT was about it when we all read about Bondos thanking me about it on NWbombers. Bondo I am glad you are going to run your truck one time this year at Pacific Raceway.

Now to answer a couple questions brought up.

I do not make flexplates for BD.

Yes I do warrantee my parts though I will not indirectly sponsar another shops competition truck nor will I if I am spoken badly of about it on a thread.

I am still very fond of our diesel performance and have stepped up to the plate when needed with new parts the last few years. I am now and plan on doing so in the future as well.

Site Rules said:
*Dont bring crap from other sites here. If you have an issue with a member somewhere else, take it up with him there. This is not a place for you to come and fight. It is a place for enthusiasts to hang out.

With that note, I ask gentlemen, continue on with shaft discussion but please take the history/baggage/soap opera between Opie, K5KRAZIE, and BONDO to the PM's. Both sides have been clearly voiced, and further discussion will only result in this thread going away. No need for last words in public. Thank you.

Back