Why do ring and pinions break?

Material quality, over powering, pinion shaft support, setup. They're several reasons one can let go.

My MA my mama says it's because they gots all them teeth and no toothbrush.

as you load up a pinion on a crown gear with force, the teeth on the crown gear will flex and "open up" moving the contact patch outward on the tooth increasing this outward force. This is not a bunch of distance that it moves, but there is a "flex" in the system. If the gears are hammering, this force is increased due to the velocity increase of the pinion going in. If material quality and build is not sufficient, it will go past the yield point of the ring gear and break the tooth off.

Why do you think your ring and pinion breaks?

Mostly from bearing and housing deflection. The pinion pushes away from the ring gear and moves the contact pattern outward which breaks the outside corners off of the ring gear teeth. We got that problem fairly well under control this summer and found the next weak link is the pinion shaft itself which twists off ahead of the splines. We twisted two shafts off, both times after the motor pulled down to the exact same rpm near the peak torque of the motor.

So no one thinks all the hopping , sled, and or the ****ty track prep has anything to do with it? I say this because going thru youtube the other night, i couldnt believe the **** tracks+ a sled that thinks its necessary to slam a 2.6 truck like a 4 engine mod= breakage

well, what you are asking is hard to speak on. the chattering or jumping is a big part, the velocity changes on the R&P shock load and make it hard on them. but the basics of WHY R&P breaks is the flex in the tooth and it flexing too far and breaking.

So no one thinks all the hopping , sled, and or the ****ty track prep has anything to do with it? I say this because going thru youtube the other night, i couldnt believe the **** tracks+ a sled that thinks its necessary to slam a 2.6 truck like a 4 engine mod= breakage
I agree with you that none of that helps but, the quality of the gears has gone to ****. Anyone have any experience with performance pro aam gear they claim to be getting more hooks out of them

The sled can have a DRAMATIC impact on breakage. Not knocking on our bunch but we had been running a setting with 5-6 weights were we would get to flying and pan and box hit at same time and stopped us from mid 20s to dead stop in like 10-15ft. Trucks were getting bad about hopping and spitting out driveshafts (odl trucks). It would hit so hard that it would throw you forward against seat belts. We did some playing, lightened up box and made pan drop quite a bit earlier so now you still get a fast run but it's a easy drag 50-60 ft at the end. You can't even feel the sled now, you just noticed yours losing some speed till you spin out.

The sled can have a DRAMATIC impact on breakage. Not knocking on our bunch but we had been running a setting with 5-6 weights were we would get to flying and pan and box hit at same time and stopped us from mid 20s to dead stop in like 10-15ft. Trucks were getting bad about hopping and spitting out driveshafts (odl trucks). It would hit so hard that it would throw you forward against seat belts. We did some playing, lightened up box and made pan drop quite a bit earlier so now you still get a fast run but it's a easy drag 50-60 ft at the end. You can't even feel the sled now, you just noticed yours losing some speed till you spin out.
Completely agree with this. Some sled operators just cannot get it together. Several pulled this year I have seen 3-4 test trucks to get the sled right. Now it's probably not all operator. Some is the completely chit tracks now days.

Has anyone ever made a billet gear setup? Or is it easier to go to open read end?

I know of one sled owner/operator actively working towards eliminating the hit at the end of the track, where it brings on a gradual, firm stop, and doesn't throw you forward in the truck. He claimed he had been watching other operators and the main factor in vehicle breakage was that when the box tops, it causes a slight amount of slack in the chain, then suddenly loads the truck extra hard, causing sudden flex and a hop. That's where most of the break happens, if it ever hops or chatters. Proformance pros is supposed to be working on a billet ring gear for the D80. Burkhard has one for the AAM already available

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Completely agree with this. Some sled operators just cannot get it together. Several pulled this year I have seen 3-4 test trucks to get the sled right. Now it's probably not all operator. Some is the completely chit tracks now days.

Allowing dual rear wheels

I know of one sled owner/operator actively working towards eliminating the hit at the end of the track, where it brings on a gradual, firm stop, and doesn't throw you forward in the truck. He claimed he had been watching other operators and the main factor in vehicle breakage was that when the box tops, it causes a slight amount of slack in the chain, then suddenly loads the truck extra hard, causing sudden flex and a hop. That's where most of the break happens, if it ever hops or chatters. Proformance pros is supposed to be working on a billet ring gear for the D80. Burkhard has one for the AAM already available

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more with all these posts!

The biggest one I agree with is the duals. Yea duals look cool and all but some days I really don't feel like they help any at times. With all the talk about going big rear axles and or ODL wouldn't you think the breakage would go down if take a tire off? Everyone gets mad when I suggest it but no one wants to try it

Why is it the ones talking about doing away with the duals don't have duals?

Why is it the ones talking about doing away with the duals don't have duals?

If talking about me from my picture that's 4 years old I have had duals on my truck for year and half now. And when I put them on I was expecting it to be better then it did but also still trail and error with it some yet

Trucks were getting bad about hopping and spitting out driveshafts (odl trucks). It would hit so hard that it would throw you forward against seat belts. We did some playing, lightened up box and made pan drop quite a bit earlier so now you still get a fast run but it's a easy drag 50-60 ft at the end. You can't even feel the sled now, you just noticed yours losing some speed till you spin out.

That 50-60 feet also really stretches out the class so you can see the best trucks go further. I think that makes a better show when you don't just see all the trucks stock pile at the end but you see a truck every now and the just keep lugging with the pan down and the crowd loves it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back