Why do ring and pinions break?

I know of one sled owner/operator actively working towards eliminating the hit at the end of the track, where it brings on a gradual, firm stop, and doesn't throw you forward in the truck. He claimed he had been watching other operators and the main factor in vehicle breakage was that when the box tops, it causes a slight amount of slack in the chain, then suddenly loads the truck extra hard, causing sudden flex and a hop. That's where most of the break happens, if it ever hops or chatters. Proformance pros is supposed to be working on a billet ring gear for the D80. Burkhard has one for the AAM already available

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

how can i find more info on this burkhard billet gear? I am not able to find anything on the web about them!!!

I disagree. Getting rid of duals may help but won't fix the issue. there is a 2.5 truck up here breaking r&p every 2-5 hooks. And it's even a true bore 2.5.
Then he is doing something wrong , setting up a rear end the right way is a art not everyone can do it. He either needs to pay someone or do a lil research, this is the problem that I have with odl, just because some people can not setup a rear end and build a chassis that hooks smooth people say oh wait!!! We need open driveline!! Some of the highest HP ppl 2.6 get more hooks out of a ring and pinion then that so don't you think everyone would say I wonder how they are keeping them alive? Nope because most pullers that are complaining about rear ends can't even tell you what is done to the truck. I agree ppl needs open rears but not full odl and a new turbo. That's 20k worth of parts to be competitive next year. All open drive line will do is kill the class and they will only have 10 or so trucks. Watch this year at sdx numbers will be down

Then he is doing something wrong , setting up a rear end the right way is a art not everyone can do it. He either needs to pay someone or do a lil research, this is the problem that I have with odl, just because some people can not setup a rear end and build a chassis that hooks smooth people say oh wait!!! We need open driveline!! Some of the highest HP ppl 2.6 get more hooks out of a ring and pinion then that so don't you think everyone would say I wonder how they are keeping them alive? Nope because most pullers that are complaining about rear ends can't even tell you what is done to the truck. I agree ppl needs open rears but not full odl and a new turbo. That's 20k worth of parts to be competitive next year. All open drive line will do is kill the class and they will only have 10 or so trucks. Watch this year at sdx numbers will be down

Exactly. I have gone a year and half on a ring gear granted I don't have the most power as others but id say I have 30+ hooks on mine and still is good. The person that won the points in the club I pull has won all the points hooks and sure has the most power think he did 20+ hooks and only went through 4-5 ring gears. And also never broke on the track. So when people say there rear axle cant hold up sure as hell aint setting everything up right

I disagree. Getting rid of duals may help but won't fix the issue. there is a 2.5 truck up here breaking r&p every 2-5 hooks. And it's even a true bore 2.5.
He is an idiot then. Breaking R&P a lot in any 2.5 truck with SRW is not because of power. Especially true bore. If setup right you can get 30+ hooks on one with non true bore rules.

The trucks that lug down at the end of the pull seem to be breaking r&p more than those that power out. The tooth load goes up substantially as rpm drops off. Traction is regained and hopping seems to follow in that situation. Set up is definetely a huge factor in most instances.

Couldn't agree more with all these posts!

The biggest one I agree with is the duals. Yea duals look cool and all but some days I really don't feel like they help any at times. With all the talk about going big rear axles and or ODL wouldn't you think the breakage would go down if take a tire off? Everyone gets mad when I suggest it but no one wants to try it

Heard of an axle torching diff carrier bearings constantly, no one could figure it out apparently, until a wise man measured front and rear inboard sides of the duals. The axle tubes had deflected about 1/4" forward because of the extreme traction duals offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think hopping breaks most of the gears, maybe some driver error in there too. Most of the time we made it off the track to find they were cracked and changed them out. The last time I went to Dana OEM gears, set at factory specs. (maybe a a tad bit tighter) also I eliminated most of the thin shims on pinion and carrier bearings for some custom made tool steel shims and got 3 hooks instead of typical 1. I also believe most of the aftermarket gears are made by the same company and their quality has went to ****. But JMO

The last time I went to Dana OEM gears...

We've been told the factory Dana sets are no longer available. Can anyone confirm that or tell me who has any? We've been getting them from Randy's.

No Randy's doesn't have them, They are available for the rear. I get mine from Ft Worth Gear and Axle and saw several online. They have Dana engraved in them and made in the usa.

Back