zfaylors old man truck build

Saw a beautiful 2nd Gen 1/2 ton in Columbia KY tonight. Charcoal grey with a sport front end and black wheels.
Makes me want one.

Saw a beautiful 2nd Gen 1/2 ton in Columbia KY tonight. Charcoal grey with a sport front end and black wheels.
Makes me want one.

That would be sexy. Patriot blue and charcoal grey are my favorite dodge colors and a sport front end just tops it off.

This is how the truck sits. Got rid of the silver on the bottom of the bed and got an exhaust in it.

B482276B-EE99-441E-B603-268E978AA353_zpsypjziww7.jpg

Going to remove the pinstriping and 3m tape from the trim tonight. Just need to get rid of those colors on that gate and I will be happy for a little while.

I hate to cut a hole in a perfet bed for a stack but my fuel cell already did that so putting the stack in wasn't quite as bad. I don't like sharp holes in my beds so I went ahead and put some heater hose over the edge and screwed it in. Not the prettiest but I am happier seeing that than a jagged hole.
\
Started with some 5 inch pipe from work since I am a cheapazz at heart LOL don't mind my gyro for dinner photobombing it. Cut it to a mitre on the chopsaw and filed it even and smooth.

02E4806A-F1B6-4F71-8714-E6E7306E826A_zpslnlrf4fg.jpg

Used some of this paint and primer to make it somewhat presentable. Not sure if the primer is necessary but they sell it for a reason I assumed.

EF2BEF4D-ABD7-4648-8C51-11644F217AF2_zps1w86kssu.jpg

Hole for the stack

C2036C57-A5B7-43D3-8C2C-374F1185ACDD_zps4o11vfnp.jpg

Made a 5inch to 4 inch transition. Went ahead and used flex and welded it to the adapter so my exhaust would easily come apart and I could adjust it to straighten the stack as necessary. I hate flex (have a nasty scar on my hand to prove it) but it is handy sometimes.

D5EC6C64-B479-4DA0-915C-0FD7BFCA98C2_zpstseznit4.jpg

Clamp on the bed rail to hold the stack. Can be tricky to tighten but a 1/2" drive 9/16 fits perfect for the job.

0B613A72-D99E-48FB-A973-83468380430E_zpsxmlubtok.jpg

Finished product.

BBAA27B1-8D17-4003-8C66-6C6948E94951_zpst4pham4j.jpg

The stack came out great. I got tired of it real quick with all the rain in Florida and showering the truck with soot every startup.

The stack came out great. I got tired of it real quick with all the rain in Florida and showering the truck with soot every startup.

Thanks man!

Yeah luckily I can park it in my garage most days but I hear you on the soot. I had a red 1st gen that was speckled black from a stack.

I still have some stains on the roof from my stacks......keep a bucket handy and cover it if you do get caught in the rain

Watch out though, I get made fun of for driving my truck to work. I have to stick an icecream bucket on the hoodstack when it rains.

I still have some stains on the roof from my stacks......keep a bucket handy and cover it if you do get caught in the rain

Just some soot bra! Battle scares of the soot lyfe!

Fur rill I will probably keep a coffee can with me behind the seat in case.

Watch out though, I get made fun of for driving my truck to work. I have to stick an icecream bucket on the hoodstack when it rains.

No doubt whenever anybody at work sees my truck they talk chit for having a stack in a pickup truck. "Stacks in cars are ghey. They're for real trucks" is what I hear quite a bit.

yes and another good day of work and I can finally drive it. turbo stuff is done with the exception of the secondary drain. then brake/hydroboost issues.....

yes and another good day of work and I can finally drive it. turbo stuff is done with the exception of the secondary drain. then brake/hydroboost issues.....

Yucky. Brake work is the worst. I need to adjust the drums on mine BADDDDD anything over 5psi on the boost gauge and the rear tires are smoking. Haven't got the motivation lately. Maybe tonight I will since I do not have any big projects to do. Kind of humid out though LOL

I have a good solid pedal till I start the truck.....started when I swapped the rubber lines to stainless.

Yucky. Brake work is the worst. I need to adjust the drums on mine BADDDDD anything over 5psi on the boost gauge and the rear tires are smoking. Haven't got the motivation lately. Maybe tonight I will since I do not have any big projects to do. Kind of humid out though LOL

Does yours still have that proportional valve over the rear axle? Bypass it an you'll get some better power back there. Also, bleeding and adjustment is never a bad thing ;-)

Does yours still have that proportional valve over the rear axle? Bypass it an you'll get some better power back there. Also, bleeding and adjustment is never a bad thing ;-)

No I threw that thing in the garbage when I swapped the dana 70 in. It was rusted and broken a few different ways. I know for sure they need adjusted. I had the drums off to clearance them for the factory aluminum rims and the slicks. Only tightened them up a tad to get by.

Getting some driveshaft loops and a battery hold down installed tonight hopefully then it will be hitting the track on friday for test and tune. Really hope everything goes well. May drag it down to Indy with me for the Fleece event. Either dyno it or do some bracket racing or both. Just need to test the waters friday with it first.

Acquired a 98 single cab short bed 318 gasser this past saturday. Traded my old dually rims and tires for it. Needs the trans rebuilt but a complete overhaul on that is going to cost me $400 in parts. After the sale of that truck I will have made a boat load of money on this swap LOL

When I saw you were building a 2wd reg cab dually, I was super stoked. Cool project still, but a slammed dually would've been sweet.

When I saw you were building a 2wd reg cab dually, I was super stoked. Cool project still, but a slammed dually would've been sweet.
I had aspirations to keep it a dually but the opportunity to make something I've always wanted and the realization it would fit my plans better pushed me to do the short bed. I literally woke up one morning and said "I'm building a short bed." And got to work.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Holy crap this little 44re went through hell and back LOL

138b409f4a4e36159ef8c6dba4497def.jpg

71abcff4257475c0a4f1ca24ca5b0234.jpg

cd5798a4b1bc8450a804afac89f4b110.jpg

clutches were all bone dry and smoked worse than ive ever seen. Front pump is the obvious culprit. Doesnt really pertain to this build but given I got this truck on trade from parts from this build I thought it was worth posting.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Back