Gap in classes???

Another thing that may be a consideration is as fast bracket class say 12.00 to 10.00 I don't particularly like bracket racing but guys could still have a fast street truck and could compete against the super fast street truck and it would be more driving skills then who has the fattest wallet. And if it was a fast bracket class we wouldn't have to set at the light for 5-6 sec melting down our converters as in the normal bracket class. And if guys wanted to go faster then that they could jump up into the heads up pro street class which could be set up as 10.99 and faster . Just some thoughts

The one thing i havent seen any one consider yet is what is best for the spectator , granted we dont have a ton but the more we get every year the more events we will get , the better payouts , ect .

Its tough to not think of "your" truck when talking about classes . But best to think of it from all angles .

I personally stepped up from brackets because i wanted " heads up racing " to me its much more thrilling , it had nothing to due with thinking i could beat all the competitors in that class . I couldnt but didnt care and raced it any way and did my best to get faster every time out . It drove me to build a faster truck i have dropped 1.3 tenths off my ET from the first race of the year to my last , CT has done the same , i doubt they would have pusshed to a low 10( maybe a 9 in Boise ) if it wasnt for "maxed out" pushing so hard this year, the people pushing the limmits in the classes are good , but we have to decide when enopugh is enough , I dont have that answer though ?

Trent I agree with you and your right if it wasnt for Maxed Out pushing their truck so hard we wouldn't have pushed ours as hard just enough to keep ahead of the competition up here. As for deciding when enough is enough... I dont have an answer either.

For everyone bashing the index racing I have a question; have you competed in an index class? 3 years ago the DHRA ran the 12.00 index class and had a decent following: 6-8 trucks per event and 12 at the national level. The crowd appeared to love it because it meant each race was CLOSE. Crowds love seeing close races, they could care less if it's 3000lb or 8000lb.

For everyone bashing the index racing I have a question; have you competed in an index class? 3 years ago the DHRA ran the 12.00 index class and had a decent following: 6-8 trucks per event and 12 at the national level. The crowd appeared to love it because it meant each race was CLOSE. Crowds love seeing close races, they could care less if it's 3000lb or 8000lb.

i agree

The whole index thing has come up a lot in gasser racing. Back when I started index racing, it was a crowd favorite with the heads-up hard launches and close racing. I originally raced a 13.50 index class, then 11.90, then 9.90. People in those days usually built cars that could only run about 2 tenths quicker than the index, and used a simple throttle stop to slow it down. Then someone figured out that if you built a much faster car (like 7.90's for the 9.90 class) and ran the throttle stop on a timer, you could launch hard to cut a good light, but immediately drop down to an idle, then re-launch with the timer and run a 9.90 at 175+ mph, which theoretically makes it easier for you to judge the finish line (since you are coming up from behind). It also makes racing horribly boring to watch, as it looks like everyone's car breaks right off the starting line.

Hopefully diesel index classes do NOT follow that same path.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

The whole index thing has come up a lot in gasser racing. Back when I started index racing, it was a crowd favorite with the heads-up hard launches and close racing. I originally raced a 13.50 index class, then 11.90, then 9.90. People in those days usually built cars that could only run about 2 tenths quicker than the index, and used a simple throttle stop to slow it down. Then someone figured out that if you built a much faster car (like 7.90's for the 9.90 class) and ran the throttle stop on a timer, you could launch hard to cut a good light, but immediately drop down to an idle, then re-launch with the timer and run a 9.90 at 175+ mph, which theoretically makes it easier for you to judge the finish line (since you are coming up from behind). It also makes racing horribly boring to watch, as it looks like everyone's car breaks right off the starting line.

Hopefully diesel index classes do NOT follow that same path.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
LOL In that light- 12.00 NO Box index class.

I agree on the no Box or timing stuff, I just think there is too large of a disparity now The SS trucks were as fast /faster than the PS trucks down here. I want to graduate from brackets but <10 sec is a very fast truck. Cages in a daly driven truck is dangerous

For one thing you dont need a full cage to run that fast. all you need it a 6 point bar and if the bar is built right then there is no extra danger for driving it on the street. Paul Bredlove has a roll bar in his truck that looks like it was there from the factory. So if built right it can be safe

9.99 and the safety requirements go up quite a bit. Roll cage, flex plate shields, tranny blankets, 5 layer fire suits/gloves/neck collar, comp. license, much tighter tech, etc. This is as it should be with a 6,000 pound truck going 140mph.

With the street drag radials now, they hook as good as slicks. There are 2 wheel cars going 7's in the 1/4 mile on street radials.

I don't know, if it is in the Cab area I'm tall enough to hit it and if i'm not wearing a helmet I think I would loose! Even though my wife would disagree with that statement!

there is a gap in classes just thinking out loud here a 3 class break up of the SuperStreet class?

1. DOT approved open class these are trucks which we all no are not daily drivers but are meating the standards of being road worthy. I dont no the E.T. break point but im thinkn 10.75 and faster.

2. Heavy MOD- Guys who are still driving there trucks occasionaly 10.75 to 12.00????

3. True Street- Guys who are truly drving these trucks to and from work they are family vehicles but love the sport love to race and have done some light mods 12.00 and slower

Then of course you have your bracket class.

Just some thoughts
Though id throw some ideas out there

2. Heavy MOD-

there is a gap in classes just thinking out loud here a 3 class break up of the SuperStreet class?

1. DOT approved open class these are trucks which we all no are not daily drivers but are meating the standards of being road worthy. I dont no the E.T. break point but im thinkn 10.75 and faster.

2. Heavy MOD- Guys who are still driving there trucks occasionaly 10.75 to 12.00????

3. True Street- Guys who are truly drving these trucks to and from work they are family vehicles but love the sport love to race and have done some light mods 12.00 and slower

Then of course you have your bracket class.

Just some thoughts
Though id throw some ideas out there

2. Heavy MOD-

I like option 2.

:rockwoot:

Maybe, an 11.50 class...most places require a bar for 11.49...so you get really fast (street) driven trucks...slicks or street tires...

Theres lots of heavy trucks running quicker than 12.00 that are too heavy/slow for lower classes.

Properly padded, I think a rollbar or rollcage would be safer on the street than without one. Paul's is a full cage, including front supports and windshield bar, but you can barely see it in the truck.

That said, when I put a full 6-point rollbar in my then-daily driver V8 Vega, I found myself driving it less and less, since it was a hassle to get in and out of (no swing-out sidebar). I think a fully removable swing-out sidebar (which you could stow behind the seat when on the street) would make it much more usable. In that Vega I needed the fixed sidebar for chassis rigidity.

One other minor consideration - even though a 6-point harness is much safer than factory seat belts, some states require you to have DOT-approved belts (like OEM belts). Racing harness manufacturers don't bother with the expense of DOT testing/approval, so technically they aren't counted. I have a friend (who is an SCCA bigwig) who has been hassled in his street-driven race car for this reason.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Well we are getting off topic now. I just feel there is too big of gap between what Super Street and the Bracket Classes are.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the input, we are still finishing up this season but we are goinig to review all our classes for 2010 season.

The one thing I will say is Super Street Class did exactly what we wanted it to do. We wanted to come out with a class that no organization has done to help promote the average to above average drag racer to push the limits and spark interest in the sport of diesel drag racing while not have to be in a full out race truck but one that still can drive on the street if they choose. Man did we hit a home run or what, how many of you would have said I was crazy if I told you 2 years ago that you would see 10 and 9 second trucks on DOT tires that have to weigh 6000lbs running faster than most Pro Street trucks out there. I for one think it is cool as heck:rockwoot:

Although if you look at the overall events won in super street it still is dominated by 11 and 12 second trucks that win the majority of events but I agree we need to review the rules and classes. Making more classes is a hard thing to do , since most events dont fill up the classes we have already.

Someone stated earlier in this thread and I agree , we need more competitors out supporting events and filling up the classes, whether it be NHRDA or NADM you need to support and help grow this sport to help the organizations to expand and grow the great sport of Diesel Performance.

So again thanks for the input and especially thanks for the support of the NHRDA.

Wow, a lot of great input here. IMO the first thing we need to do is figure out how to get more people to participate in our events. I attended both NHRDA and NADM events this year, and the one thing that rang true in both was there were a lot of diesel trucks in the parking lot that didn't compete, or ran a Friday night Street legal event that was held in conjunction with the organized race. One ***** I heard was they didn't want to pay the fee to join the organization. Maybe we should consider a sliding scale entry fee, maybe a cheaper fee for those just wanting to run brackets?

I totally agree there is a hole in our classes, we need something for the between trucks. As much as I dislike bracket racing, I like the 11.5 to say 12.99 bracket idea. It makes for close racing, you don't have to wait for 7 seconds for the slower truck before you launch, and I think it levels the playing field and for the good fast street trucks, foot brake only.

You would still have brackets for the 13.0 and slower trucks.

For the faster trucks that require a bar and cage. The only requirement I would make is they be in an original chassis that came from the manufacturer with a diesel engine, there should be some weight requirement, 6000 lbs seems to work, and no slicks except for 2 wheel truck. This eliminates the 1/2ton conversions, and the back halfed trucks from this class.

The Prostreet class and the rest would remain the same as they are.

It's difficult to keep one of these fast trucks running. You are one the edge and they break a lot. It's as expensive as hell and if you don't have good sponsors about impossible to do out of your pocket.

I think the fast trucks have both helped and hurt our sport. I think some of the fast street trucks like we are referring to stayed home when they found out one of the really fast trailered trucks were attending. It's no fun racing yourself, and if there isn't any competition you take it easy and the crowd hates that. I can understand that but if they had pay the bills they would probably think differently.

If we can find a sponsor/s we will build a 2 wheel true prosteet truck this winter. Max'd Out will run in whatever class it fits, probably detuned to make it live. I'm just about finished with what I would call a really fast street truck. It will have a roll bar good for 10 seconds, it will be my daily driver and I'll drive it to and from the races. I'll drive it whatever class we come up with, hopefully in the next one down from Max'd Out.

Wow, a lot of great input here. IMO the first thing we need to do is figure out how to get more people to participate in our events. I attended both NHRDA and NADM events this year, and the one thing that rang true in both was there were a lot of diesel trucks in the parking lot that didn't compete, or ran a Friday night Street legal event that was held in conjunction with the organized race. One ***** I heard was they didn't want to pay the fee to join the organization. Maybe we should consider a sliding scale entry fee, maybe a cheaper fee for those just wanting to run brackets?

I totally agree there is a hole in our classes, we need something for the between trucks. As much as I dislike bracket racing, I like the 11.5 to say 12.99 bracket idea. It makes for close racing, you don't have to wait for 7 seconds for the slower truck before you launch, and I think it levels the playing field and for the good fast street trucks, foot brake only.

You would still have brackets for the 13.0 and slower trucks.

For the faster trucks that require a bar and cage. The only requirement I would make is they be in an original chassis that came from the manufacturer with a diesel engine, there should be some weight requirement, 6000 lbs seems to work, and no slicks except for 2 wheel truck. This eliminates the 1/2ton conversions, and the back halfed trucks from this class.

The Prostreet class and the rest would remain the same as they are.

It's difficult to keep one of these fast trucks running. You are one the edge and they break a lot. It's as expensive as hell and if you don't have good sponsors about impossible to do out of your pocket.

I think the fast trucks have both helped and hurt our sport. I think some of the fast street trucks like we are referring to stayed home when they found out one of the really fast trailered trucks were attending. It's no fun racing yourself, and if there isn't any competition you take it easy and the crowd hates that. I can understand that but if they had pay the bills they would probably think differently.

If we can find a sponsor/s we will build a 2 wheel true prosteet truck this winter. Max'd Out will run in whatever class it fits, probably detuned to make it live. I'm just about finished with what I would call a really fast street truck. It will have a roll bar good for 10 seconds, it will be my daily driver and I'll drive it to and from the races. I'll drive it whatever class we come up with, hopefully in the next one down from Max'd Out.

Outstanding!

That is another thing in Super Street I noticed the 2wds had a hard time competing with DOTs against 4X4's

Back