03/04 updates?

Has anyone tuned a conversion truck with this yet? I got a call today from HP Tuners and i asked about some issues i have with EFi and the person i talked to said they have never looked at a conversion truck with the software and compared it to a Dodge/Cummins.

Has anyone tuned a conversion truck with this yet? I got a call today from HP Tuners and i asked about some issues i have with EFi and the person i talked to said they have never looked at a conversion truck with the software and compared it to a Dodge/Cummins.

What Issues are you having?

Within the last year I sold both my 03 with a 6.7 swapped in and my Excursion cummins swap with an 03 5.9. Got tired of waiting for a tuning solution... Now I read this thread and the worst part is I just bought a hptuner for my CTS-V!:nail:

What Issues are you having?

The problem i am told is that the converion truck dont respond the same to the scale of the map. From what i remember They said they could change the map from 126 squares to 100 squares to get the torque up sooner but it would sacrifice driveability as there would be less small changes avaliable as the engine went from square to square.
My dyno graph is angled ( / ) not flat ( - ) compared to the Dodge platform. I am not really concerned with the Dyno # as i am in the performace and driveability. I know i am out of fuel and need a 2nd Cp3 to even think about moving forward as the truck could not meet the commamded fuel and fell off immediatly at just over 2800 rpm.

We've run into that a few times on conversion trucks but nothing that can't be fixed by rescaling he axis to make a smooth running tune. We've found there are a few operating systems that don't play nice in conversion trucks, so sometimes its as simple as changing the operating system in the base file, and sometimes its takes rescaling all the axis on trucks that only go to 100mm3.

Lavon

Lavon
I have a question about boost limited fueling. My 03 has a boost fooler (tuner said to leave it even with udc) so without it my sensor taps out around 38psi. So is boost limited fueling just for low end smoke? I'm darn near 50psi on my cts when this thing tops out on torque. So how will this help on the top end? I too have haze just cruising down the road on cool days.

Lavon
I have a question about boost limited fueling. My 03 has a boost fooler (tuner said to leave it even with udc) so without it my sensor taps out around 38psi. So is boost limited fueling just for low end smoke? I'm darn near 50psi on my cts when this thing tops out on torque. So how will this help on the top end? I too have haze just cruising down the road on cool days.

Boost limited fueling is not for the top end, its for leaving stop lights and low boost driving. You no longer need a boost fooler either as you have access to the boost limiter tables that you can eliminate the overboost code issue. The sensor only reads to 37psi, and by then your ready for full fuel anyway.

The boost limited fueling will limit the overall fuel quantity based on the boost axis, which eliminates heavy over fueling if you stab in it at low boost. This on the other hand DOES NOT ELIMINATE HAZE with a big injector especially if its a cheap nozzle on a stock body. So its a nice feature to clean up these trucks on the street but it DOES NOT CHANGE PHYSICS, so if you have a low quality injector that is super smokey, we can make it better but not eliminate all the haze. I only emphasize this because I get tuning customers expecting their truck to run as clean as a gas vehicle when they have Joe Blow 250HP injectors and a 33% over cp3 and they do not comprehend anything I have to say.

Lavon

Lavon
I think you need to open a satellite shop here in Western PA. Not a lot of tranny shops here that do what you all can do. IF ANY!

Lavon
I think you need to open a satellite shop here in Western PA. Not a lot of tranny shops here that do what you all can do. IF ANY!
Yep, everyone is stuck with a average build, shipping it, or running to VA beach to TRE. Which really isn't that far, just sucks if you have issues!

Just about all we have is tranny shops that want to trade yours in for a new one with warranty. Nobody I know of can build anything worthy of much hp over stock.

Here is the dyno graph from my personal UDC tune to Lavon's HPT tune, and then his tune with water/meth:

image_zpsddwisaty.jpeg

Last edited:
Lavon is on top of his game! He is a great tuner. Team Firepunk builds awesome transmissions and they stand behind their work;

Lavon, I might have to take a ride out to see you this summer. I would bring a spare ECM for you to do the tuning on so i dont have to chance bricking an ECM going back and forth between HP and EFI.

Yep, everyone is stuck with a average build, shipping it, or running to VA beach to TRE. Which really isn't that far, just sucks if you have issues!

Just about all we have is tranny shops that want to trade yours in for a new one with warranty. Nobody I know of can build anything worthy of much hp over stock.

I know of these problems all too well... I live 103 miles from the ohio line. I got a good deal on a tranny that was built in miami I've been fighting some issues and sent it down to tre diesel when I lost reverse. Got rear servo and band replaced. I've swapped in another rebuilt manual valve body from the builder and I lost reverse again tcc lockup has not worked yet. So swapping to an auto has had a lot of issues...

In to make sure I'm not missing anything in the other threads. Real happy for this in 2016. Happy New year!

Back