New Borg Warner S300sxe Turbos

I know a guy that has a 64 on the manifold with two 69's outside of it on a 12v.

Looks pretty slick, he needs to button up the loose ends and get it running already.

I know a guy that has a 64 on the manifold with two 69's outside of it on a 12v.

Looks pretty slick, he needs to button up the loose ends and get it running already.

Sounds sweet.. Need pics and video. ?I'm gonna be running a 63 and two 66's on my 12v

I'm looking for a more efficient turbo that spools faster than my oem wh1c. Currently I'm at 5500' and have 41 inch tires with 4:10 gears. I also have 435 injectors and timing around 16.5. It's an auto trans built by Goerend with all the goodies in it. No head studs yet and I'm looking for better spool that I can use on some twins down the road.

I originally planned on a 6.7 turbo with a stand alone controller and the turbo I have needs a new turbine.

Will one of these do the trick?

I'm looking for a more efficient turbo that spools faster than my oem wh1c. Currently I'm at 5500' and have 41 inch tires with 4:10 gears. I also have 435 injectors and timing around 16.5. It's an auto trans built by Goerend with all the goodies in it. No head studs yet and I'm looking for better spool that I can use on some twins down the road.

I originally planned on a 6.7 turbo with a stand alone controller and the turbo I have needs a new turbine.

Will one of these do the trick?

Pretty much any "upgraded" turbo is going to spool slower than your old WH1C. You either need to get a looser torque converter, change, your driving style, or pull out $2500 and get a Borg EFR turbo w/speed sensor so you can tune the gate to keep the turbine wheel happy.

The fastest spooling 500 rwhp turbo we've tested here at the shop on the dyno at 5700' is our new ball bearing Garrett-based 62mm charger with a T3 wastegated housing. It's still a touch slower to spool than a stock HX35 or WH1C, but it's very responsive once it's making 5 psi and actually has less lag on the highway when you roll into the throttle, it's just a touch slower to 5 psi than a stock turbo. When compared to the newest SXE 362 w/.70 AR T3 wastegated housing which spools about 300 rpm slower than a stock HX35, it works and it's a powerful turbo, it's just too big and heavy to outspool the factory charger.

Pretty much any "upgraded" turbo is going to spool slower than your old WH1C. You either need to get a looser torque converter, change, your driving style, or pull out $2500 and get a Borg EFR turbo w/speed sensor so you can tune the gate to keep the turbine wheel happy.

The fastest spooling 500 rwhp turbo we've tested here at the shop on the dyno at 5700' is our new ball bearing Garrett-based 62mm charger with a T3 wastegated housing. It's still a touch slower to spool than a stock HX35 or WH1C, but it's very responsive once it's making 5 psi and actually has less lag on the highway when you roll into the throttle, it's just a touch slower to 5 psi than a stock turbo. When compared to the newest SXE 362 w/.70 AR T3 wastegated housing which spools about 300 rpm slower than a stock HX35, it works and it's a powerful turbo, it's just too big and heavy to outspool the factory charger.

That garrett based turbo on your sight? How does it compare cost wise to the sx-e?

Reasonable for a ball bearing charger, expensive vs an SXE at almost 2k.
On a side note, on your Facebook a while back, you had a pic of a set of towing compounds with a 351, and a sce369. Could you elaborate on the setup please? Specs of what it was run on, how the customer likes it? Been thinking the 369 could be a sweet atmosphere turbo for a vp tow rig.

Does the tv cable on the trans affect how "tight" the converter is from a stop? I'm still in the dark on what the tv cable actually does in the trans.

If it does maybe I can loosen it up so it takes more rpm to get going and thus getting the turbo spooling up at lower speeds?

I believe if it's too loose you will-

Have earlier shift points

Slip the tranny easier

Slip the Tc easier

Have flared shifts

It might help spool the turbo but it will possibly be slipping the whole time you have it floored

Whats a ball bearing conversion for an sxe cost?
I have no idea, I've never tried to convert an SXE to ball bearing. The 62mm ball bearing charger we offer is based off a Garrett unit with custom exhaust housing, water lines, etc. to make it bolt-up to a T3 manifold.

On a side note, on your Facebook a while back, you had a pic of a set of towing compounds with a 351, and a sce369. Could you elaborate on the setup please? Specs of what it was run on, how the customer likes it? Been thinking the 369 could be a sweet atmosphere turbo for a vp tow rig.
That setup was just as it appeared, a run of the mill HE351cw based compound turbo setup using an SXE369 in lieu of the standard "cheap" slowish spooling S475/1.32. No feedback yet from the customer on how it runs, this was built in-house on a test engine and then sent to the customer in another state.

Does the tv cable on the trans affect how "tight" the converter is from a stop? I'm still in the dark on what the tv cable actually does in the trans.

If it does maybe I can loosen it up so it takes more rpm to get going and thus getting the turbo spooling up at lower speeds?

The TV cable throttles the transmission causing it to downshift earlier/upshift later. It also increases line pressure the further it is "throttled". As far as converter stall speed, it has zero effect.

That setup was just as it appeared, a run of the mill HE351cw based compound turbo setup using an SXE369 in lieu of the standard "cheap" slowish spooling S475/1.32. No feedback yet from the customer on how it runs, this was built in-house on a test engine and then sent to the customer in another state.

What exhaust housing was used on the 369? How well do you think one would pair with an hx35 on a vp truck? What would the approximate cost of the 369 and piping be? Possibly unwelded on the piping if it'd save enough to be worth it.

What exhaust housing was used on the 369? How well do you think one would pair with an hx35 on a vp truck? What would the approximate cost of the 369 and piping be? Possibly unwelded on the piping if it'd save enough to be worth it.

For the lower pressure atmosphere charger in a compound setup, you'd want to go with the biggest housing Borg offers, the 1.0 AR housing.

I think it would work well with an HX35, your biggest limiting factor on that setup would be wastegating capacity to reduce drive pressure at the HX35 and still feed the SXE369 adequately. For a 500 HP setup, the internal wastegate on the HX35 would be fine. To max out the set, somewhere in the 600 to 700 HP range, you'd want an external wastegate.

For piping, you'd have to call in to the shop (435)962-9555 and discuss with Todd, he does all the fabrication and there are many options/upgrades to make it easier to install, easier to reduce exhaust leaks, etc. Just a cheap basic tacked together setup is still in the $1500 range entry level. In the future there may be pre-made kit options that will come down in price as economies of scale kick in and parts/pieces can be mass produced.

Last edited:
For the lower pressure atmosphere charger in a compound setup, you'd want to go with the biggest housing Borg offers, the 1.0 AR housing.

I think it would work well with an HX35, your biggest limiting factor on that setup would be wastegating capacity to reduce drive pressure at the HX35 and still feed the SXE369 adequately. For a 500 HP setup, the internal wastegate on the HX35 would be fine. To max out the set, somewhere in the 600 to 700 HP range, you'd want an external wastegate.

For piping, you'd have to call in to the shop (435)962-9555 and discuss with Todd, he does all the fabrication and there are many options/upgrades to make it easier to install, easier to reduce exhaust leaks, etc. Just a cheap basic tacked together setup is still in the $1500 range entry level. In the future there may be pre-made kit options that will come down in price as economies of scale kick in and parts/pieces can be mass produced.
Well, my manifold is actually already setup for an external gate, just have I blocked off for now. The 1.0 housing was my guess. I could do all the fab work myself, just a little apprehensive having never been around compounds before. But think that's the route I'll need to go for my goal of a usable 500hp tow rig.

Back