Ahale's 94 Build thread

Cant fully wrap my head around how that bearing spacer influences the engagemnt of that pack, but I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

The bearing spacer controls the timing between release of the direct pack and engagement of the brake pack. Too tall of a spacer totally releases the direct pack before the brake pack engages while motor is still making full power/torque, this puts full power load onto that sprag. Once the brake pack engages, the sprag free wheels as the overdrive planetary begins to overdrive the output shaft compared to 1:1 speed of sprag via intermediate shaft.

It's rare to see damage to the sprag bearing surface on stock output shafts so it's not a common failure point and probably why many billet output shaft manufacturers are unaware of or don't care to fix the problem.

Finally got the truck back together and driving. Shifts perfect. Had to cut .750" off the 29 spline input for my 271 that I installed. I found out after the fact that the TCS 29 spline output will not work with a normal length 29spline input. Surgery was needed, but everything went well after that.

Now that the trans is back together, its time to take on weekend sized projects to get the truck in race ready form for next summer. Hoping to do a cage asap, then 4 link the rear and gut the bed. Should be exciting
IMG_20141121_071754803_zpsv2zqbjas.jpg

IMG_20141116_115738198_HDR_zpsw2g1ag0u.jpg

Literally just used a angle grinder with a cut off wheel then blended the splines with a hand file

IMG_20141123_142030_zps0qdfbe7s.jpg

Wow that output looks way more beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly does! I noticed the 29 spline about a year ago on PATC's website. I already had one of the smaller billet 23 spline outputs so it wasn't worth swapping a bunch of parts around, certainly looks like it can handle some serious abuse!

Last edited:
Does it leave enough left of te input for the seal or you having to use sealant going back together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been driving the truck around quite a bit, its running decent besides how much it hates starting sub 40 degrees. The front seal of the trans is leaking, about a quart with a week of driving, pretty damn annoying.

does anyone have a link to a decent set of 2inch dually spacers that are hubcentric to the outer wheel? I have a set of 285/75's that I'd like to throw on but I'm not seeing any good spacers that use the stock lug nut on the outer wheel, and not an acorn style.

was wasting some time this weekend and snapped some pics of the truck at the Quincy shipyard near my house. (abandoned WW2 naval site)

IMG_20141206_130901_zpsvamxbly2.jpg

IMG_20141206_130056309_HDR_zpsemu5g5rf.jpg

yes I have one wiper... The passenger side arm stripped itself out last winter. I tell everyone its off to save weight

I've never seen wheel spacers for our hubs that are hubcentric. I ended up using the cheap aluminum eBay ones. They're a major pain to put on and take off, but they worked well and didn't crush, cause a wobble, or make the truck explode at random.

I'm not using them anymore since I sold the truck, you could try mine out if you want to see how they work for you.

My brother has got a nice set of wheel spacers that are hubcentric from rough country. 2 inch aluminum. Hes got 285s on his truck to

That would be idea Andy, but I can't justify 400, its twice what I have into the tires LOL.

Zach those are basically what everyone sells on eBay. I may just buy a set and modify them on the lathe to make them hub centric on the outer rim. How does The outer rim on johns center?

I've never seen wheel spacers for our hubs that are hubcentric. I ended up using the cheap aluminum eBay ones. They're a major pain to put on and take off, but they worked well and didn't crush, cause a wobble, or make the truck explode at random.

I'm not using them anymore since I sold the truck, you could try mine out if you want to see how they work for you.

Why were they such a pain to throw on?

That would be idea Andy, but I can't justify 400, its twice what I have into the tires LOL.

Zach those are basically what everyone sells on eBay. I may just buy a set and modify them on the lathe to make them hub centric on the outer rim. How does The outer rim on johns center?

I've went through 2 sets of the eBay 2" spacers, they are junk. Studs get loose in them and try to pull through after wheels have been off and on several times. I kept having issues with the outlet dualls coming loose when I finally pulled them and same the issue. I know of a few farm trucks running the ones I've posted for several years without and issue.

My bro has been running his from rough country for about 3 years now and has never had them come lose. Also regularly tows 10,000 lb plus on his 25ft goose neck

Back