01 qclb won't stop bouncing

He has pulled with them 3 times haven't got a good video from the side to see any flex yet. Although even without the bars in his truck still wants to hop, maybe not quite as much. We've been messing with stops and tire pressure mostly so far. On my truck I have the same bars but mine have poly bushing ends on them from ballistic fab. My bars measure about 84" including the threaded ends (approx. 4" each end) and I have no issues with hopping with or without. My truck is auto, his manual. You think shortening would help?

I have personally turned 2inch round 1/4 thick ladder bars into a very nice arch. They were about 60inches long if I remember right. I now have 2x2 1/4 thick square tubing same exact length and absolutely no hop. Last weekend husker diesels truck bent his round ladder bars and snapped his yoke. Round will only work if you put one on top and one on the bottom of the axle.

Was your tubing DOM? It's a lot stronger than normal 2" stock and the DOM is working just fine on my truck

I have two 7' pieces of 2x2 1/4 wall in my shop maybe we will throw them in, air the tires down, and try to get a good video this weekend. Hope there's no bounce anymore to show you guys. Thanks for the help!

You could sleeve them, or shorten them to 65"-70". Where and how are the suspension stops mounted?

I have two 7' pieces of 2x2 1/4 wall in my shop maybe we will throw them in, air the tires down, and try to get a good video this weekend. Hope there's no bounce anymore to show you guys. Thanks for the help!

I'm willing to bet a case of beer on this that that would work and I like my beer and don't give much away. If you do let's see a video.

I am having the very same problem with my truck and would really like to know what fixes yours if you figure it out. I had one pipe on mine the first time I pulled and they folded right up but it wasn't DOM. good luck to ya!

Been proven time and time again that regular mild steel round tubing is a whole lot weaker than DOM of the same size and thickness. I have seen DOM bars bend, but was usually from driver error on the starting line.

I don't get it. Why take the chance with anything round? The basic square tubing is cheap and it works. This ain't rocket science here people.

don't get your panties in a wad. I run 2" square on my truck aswell. Been on there for 4 years with no issues. It's all in look and prefference of what people want.

Pulled last weekend and the first pull left the dom bars in with stops that allow for two inches of travel and rear tires at 30 front at 25 bounced like hell right from the launch. Tried to let out and get back in it and same bounce. Second pull aired rear tires to 60 took suspension stops out completely and it has never ran so smooth. So we are going to try a set of Timbrens in place of the stops and see what his truck has to say about that. It seems almost everyone around here runs dom for the bars couple run square. The reason I went with dom was because the thread on here dom seemed to be the most common. The tracks are all pretty tight here his tires are bfg a/t 285s. Thanks for the responses

Pulled last weekend and the first pull left the dom bars in with stops that allow for two inches of travel and rear tires at 30 front at 25 bounced like hell right from the launch. Tried to let out and get back in it and same bounce. Second pull aired rear tires to 60 took suspension stops out completely and it has never ran so smooth. So we are going to try a set of Timbrens in place of the stops and see what his truck has to say about that. It seems almost everyone around here runs dom for the bars couple run square. The reason I went with dom was because the thread on here dom seemed to be the most common. The tracks are all pretty tight here his tires are bfg a/t 285s. Thanks for the responses

I'd say that low rear tire PSI was a good portion of it (especially depending on sidewall construction).
Try 60 PSI with the stops, if it still hops run a little shorter stop.
The problem is you changed more than one thing so it's hard to determine which caused it (or which caused it more).

I know running a blocked rear on most old school gassers (which has a lot less nose weight with lighter engine and tranny combos) with no hanging weight, is usually a recipe for hop. Take the blocks out and it goes away, but on my diesel I could run a block that jacked the ass end in the sky and never had issue (front suspension also comes into play as old school leaf springs aren't the best front suspension for pulling).

I see you are going to try Timbrens, let us know how that works

Last edited:
We had a truck doing that also but it turned out that he "toed in" the rear axle. Measure it and it was almost 3/4" from front to back on the rear tires. I believe it was because he mounted the bars to far inside the u bolts. Pretty much were you have yours. The only other thing I noticed is why did you make your mounting brackets so far away from the frame/axle. I would suggest remaking those so that the bars dont have so much leverage against themselves. Try to get the flex out of the bars since there not meant to flex. Not sure on the exact length but Ive been running 2" DOM tubing in my truck for the last 3-4 years never an issue. However my truck has never had an hopping issue either. 315-75 tire rear at max pressure fronts about 25. rear end block tight plus an inch or two.

Last edited:
Back