08 Dodge land speed effort.

I don't want to upset the salt gremlins!
We'll see what the truck can put down on thr dyno next month.

You should come out to El Mirage, it's got dates almost every month in the summer....

El Mirage
May 18-19
June 9
July 14
Sep 15
Oct 20
No 9-10

Finally the fresh 6.7 race motor is together,here's some eye candy pics for staring at.Its like christmas again!!
Time to get busy.
photobucket-45989-1362637873363_zpsa85506fb.jpg

photobucket-45646-1362637870748_zps6e8245c5.jpg

photobucket-47537-1362637874647_zps3ff49fe3.jpg

photobucket-47690-1362637872027_zpsfcbb8415.jpg

I have an odd question for ya. Being on the salt, do you guys run a filter over the turbo to keep the salt for getting in? Just wondering I know that pullers don't, but that's only for what they hope is 300' or so, and I know drag trucks don't either. Land speed racing is usually what? 3 miles plus a shutdown? Seems like a lot of salt would be flying around in there.

If he can get over 175 mph on the 3 mile "short" course, then he can get onto the "long" course, which is 5 miles.

That looks like a very serious effort, and I would say that he'll make it to the long course. I hope I get to see it later this year.

Steve.

When we ran the truck up at Bonneville last october,it ran with the AFE cold air intake on there with the filter left off.I always inspected the airbox for salt prior to each run.

I have an odd question for ya. Being on the salt, do you guys run a filter over the turbo to keep the salt for getting in? Just wondering I know that pullers don't, but that's only for what they hope is 300' or so, and I know drag trucks don't either. Land speed racing is usually what? 3 miles plus a shutdown? Seems like a lot of salt would be flying around in there.

With the intake intact would a new filter even be restrictive? I know the volume of air we are speaking of, but would it even be an issue?

When we ran the truck up at Bonneville last october,it ran with the AFE cold air intake on there with the filter left off.I always inspected the airbox for salt prior to each run.

Cool man. Appreciate the answer. I would love to make it out to Bonneville one of these years. Look me up next time y'all make it down to Denver.

Started taking out the stock motor today,Hopefully have the race motor sitting back on its mounts by the end of tomorrow.
Here's the stocker just about ready to pluck out.
photobucket-51458-1365298831548_zps926ca7d5.jpg

More tomorrow!!

I've been picking away at the motor change last weekend in between rain showers snow flurries and sleet.Need to get my barn finished then the weather won't matter.
Stock motor out!
photobucket-53634-1365471926524_zpsecb6d291.jpg

Race motor going in.
photobucket-29261-1365471925900_zps382cd692.jpg

Motor in and mounts bolted down,tranny belled up,tranny crossmember in.
photobucket-47536-1365471924669_zps6e8df243.jpg

I'll get the motor dressed tomorrow.Not sure if I should throw on the stock turbo for break in or wait for the compound turbos to come back from Industrial Injection and put those on and be done with it, decisions decisions!

I think they call them racing compounds.On the Ind Inj website it looks like the S480 has now been replaced by a 'Big Bro' turbo.

looks great!

are those off-the-shelf Industrial twins?

Last edited:
Any reason for twins over a big single? Might be looking to lsr a riv in my next life.

My thinking behind using twins is to have the turbos spool up straight away after a gear change especially gear shifts 4-5 and 5-6,the truck is tall geared with a 2.0 ring and pinion quick change and 32 inch tall tires,plus I can change the spur gears to go either side of that ratio aswell.

Any reason for twins over a big single? Might be looking to lsr a riv in my next life.

Good call. I bet you can do a lot more linear power application with twins as well..

Back