12v build to start soon!

Plans as of now for the next build:

- 12V block. honed, decked, tapped for 14 mm mains
- arp 14 mm mains
- arp 12 mm 625 head studs
- CR pistons flycut (depth depending on cam)
- 1 more 12V rod. shot peened. balanced. polished,…again
- Custom grind cam (something like 208/220 unknown lift and lsa right now)
- new bearings
- Air Dog II 200 GPH
- 5x.025 injectors. vco style. no filters. pintle lift. dual feed. 260 bar. 155 degree spray angle.
- new cummins head gasket
- check the head for problems
- bench pump (again)
- check the crank. then shotpeened, balanced, polished, …again
- no girdle

Couple things I'm debating though, is what turbo to go to. I want to get something along the lines of an S475/87/1.0 T4. I want to make more power, now that I've had a taste. BTW, some of the parts I'm taking out of the motor are salvageable. I am not planning on using some of them in this particular motor, however…..they're for something else I have up my sleeve…..

I DO NOT care about street drivability (I still don't want to try and drive with a 88 or 105 mm turbo though haha), but I want it to be "possible" to drive on the street.

I am not going with a 6.7 block either. Too much money and hassle for minimal gains.

This question is kinda silly too, but I kinda wanted to hear some votes for either Schaffers or Brad Penn lubricants

ANY input is greatly appreciated. I want to have a SOLID bottom end, and one that can help me make more power in conjunction with the other parts (ie: pistons-injectors-pump-turbo)

Thanks for your time fellas

I hope to hell, I'm not the next swole haha…..I don't have that kind of bank roll. I'll say this though, I plan on using the block for a new coffee table lol. maybe some led lights inside the motor and a glass top. Would be pretty cool I'd think.

well looks like your build will be more and more similar (but better) than mine. whats the advantages to running a cr piston vs. the 286110 ya had?

Here are my up dated plans: (The stuff in Bold are the changes so far)

- 12V block. honed, decked, tapped for 14 mm mains and 14 mm head studs. machined for cam bushings
- arp 14 mm mains
- arp 12 mm 625 head studs. Switching to H11 14 mm head studs
- CR pistons flycut (depth depending on cam)
- 1 more 12V rod. shot peened. balanced. polished,…again
- Custom grind cam (something like 208/220 unknown lift and lsa right now)
- new bearings
- Air Dog II 200 GPH. Switched to 400 gph Aeromotive 1000
- 5x.025 injectors. vco style. no filters. pintle lift. dual feed. 260 bar. 155 degree spray angle.
- new cummins head gasket and cummins upper and lower gaskets
- check the head for problems
- bench pump (again)
- check the crank. then shotpeened, balanced, polished, …again
- no girdle. I AM going with Kenny's girdle w/ spacers
- cam bushings, bolt in front and rear freeze plugs
- billet front timing cover
- adjustable pump gear
- electric water pump
- new oil pump
- adding a crankcase breather

Any other suggestions? I am going with fresh Amsoil coolant, donaldson oil filter, and brad penn 15W-40 oil with added zinc.

I feel like I am on the right track, I just need to get her together…..

only questions i have are why 14 mm head studs and cam bushings? plan on running a billet cam?

the arp 625's are like the white whale or a unicorn, very hard to find. Also, they offer more clamping force with a larger surface area without the brittleness of the 625's. No billet cam. I just think they would help with wear and longevity

ditch the electric water pump...they have been proven unreliable time and time again.

the arp 625's are like the white whale or a unicorn, very hard to find. Also, they offer more clamping force with a larger surface area without the brittleness of the 625's. No billet cam. I just think they would help with wear and longevity

That's understandable. That's a lot of money for those can bushings. I would look in to that a bit more. Also I understand about the studs. Goodluck with the buikd

Might want to search some pros and cons of the 14mm headstuds..

Block cracking was a problem a lot, along with a few other problems.

-Clinton

whats the advantages to running a cr piston vs. the 286110 ya had?

Care to elaborate?

Clinton: I actually decided to go with the H11 12 mm head studs. I am worried about the block cracking and making it more fragile due to taking another 2 mm out of the block near the coolant jackets.

For Clinton and Jake: The advantages really are simply a bigger bowl and a centered bowl instead of the 210's offset bowl. My old injectors were 145 spray angle and I plan on going with a 155 degree spray angle injector next. I'm just looking to get the most out of this build

Differences in the Marine, Non I/C (286210), and the 04.5-07 CR:

Marine:
286050.jpg

Non I/C:
286210.jpg

CR:
325hpCR.jpg

Im not sure for just standard pistons. Mine are flycut .125. I AM NOT coating these. I figure that if the tolerance are perfect, there shouldn't be any problems. I'm shooting for a little extra clearance due to spinning higher rpm. Coating is not bad at all, I just figure for the money I don't need to do it this time….I'm going to guess about 150-200 bones for pistons, pins, and rings…? (per piston) maybe

You might want top watch the 14mm studs too, I have heard of quite a few people locally having the studs break for no apparent reason.

Call Jeff lee at extremestuds.com

Personally save the money and get a quality product.

After my last cam issue I will be putting in bushings in every engine. Definately a good investment.

thanks for all the tips guys! keep em comin….especially if I blatantly missed something

I love my 14mm studs. No problems yet. From MY personal experiences I would reccomend them. I've heard of others having problems too but I like them.

Back