1969 Ford Cummins Crew Conversion....

Mounting the tie rod on the high side, so I had to go with heim joints (rod ends)..... the bolt in the pic was not the one used, that one is way too small!

A080908-2.jpg

A081108-6.jpg

A081108-7.jpg

:rockwoot:

Here is the correct bolt.... I'm using a full shank bolt for greater shear strength and will cut off the extra threads. First drilling out the steering arm.

A081108-1.jpg

A082008-2.jpg

A082008-3.jpg

:Cheer:

OK... motor going back in for a bit so I can get to work on the trans and t-case mounting.... since I already had the NV4500 from my last project, I will be using a married t-case... Ford driverside drop NP-205.

M070308-3.jpg

M070308-2.jpg

M070308-1.jpg

:)

[The 1993 motor had the wrong adapter plate for the NV4500.... the correct plate has all the same bolt paterns, just an additional 1.000" deeper (thicker)..

A081008-1.jpg

1993 plate..... @ 1.250"
A081008-2.jpg

Awome build man! That's a lot of project to do at home. Good luck, it should be a great truck.:Cheer:

And the correct (94-02) plate @ 2.250" Also just another bit of information.... the 2003 and up adapter plates won't work only because they changed the mount to the block to a asymmetrical pattern as the plate now seals the back of the cam bore...

A082508-10.jpg

A082508-11.jpg

Awome build man! That's a lot of project to do at home. Good luck, it should be a great truck.:Cheer:

Thanks Bro! With the city on my case about it... it has kept the fire lit under my butt to get-r-done!

Test fitting the NV4500.... need to see what mods that I need to make for trans mount and front drive line clearance.

NV082508-1.jpg

NV082508-4.jpg

NV082508-2.jpg

I don't have a pick handy, but mid 60's Volvo motor mounts make great tranny mounts! One of the guys over at Fordification forums turned me on to that little gem...

So all is not always so simple... ;)

I'm trying to determine if my front output yoke will clear this area without modification. As it is the trans needs to come down by about 1.000" so that the top of the TC clears the cab floor support beam or clearance the beam would be the other option. If I lower the trans, then I will have to lower the x-member or re-fabricate for front yoke clearance.

NV082508-2a.jpg

:bang

Looking at the x-member it looks like if I weld in a half round and rotate the NP205 clockwise (from the rear) I might just get the CV joint to clear.
Hmmmm.... off to fabricating I go! Heck if it doesn't look good I'll scrap it... :)

Start over with some boxed tubing!

Stock mounting location....
NP082808-1.jpg

Rotated location.....
NP082808-2.jpg

It's all real easy when you work with cardboard!

On the subject of transfer case mounting, I purchased the Advanced Adapters kit. The AA kit uses a spud coupler that has a 29 spline female receiver on one end and a 31 spline male input to the TC. Nice product! BUT... the female spline is square bored and the outsid is machined with a taper, so the thickness of this piece is at it's thinest were the two demensions cross paths... and IMO a turned up Cummins will without a doubt break this AA spud adapter!!!!!!

So to remedy this and speaking at length to AA, it was agreed that the best course of action will be to marry two AA adapter plates and swap the original dodge 29 spline TC input in place of the Ford 31 spling input. This will enable me to use the stock dodge 29 spline coupler. Using the coupler is why I went to using two adapter plates as I need the extra distance to mate the male splines..... and minimize cutting of the shafts.

Ford 31 spline input....
np090308-3.jpg

Dodge 29 spline input...
NP090308-2.jpg

AA adapter plate....
NP090308-1.jpg

And I couldn't find a pic of the spud coupler in question... I'll keep looking.

Looking good! Many thanks for all the time spent taking pictures and giving descriptions. I've got a '68 hiboy and '70 2wd. that I've been thinking about converting to cummins. This thread is awesome!

What t-case you runnin? Just curious why not a dodge 241 or 271 & skip the adaptors. I am doing a 70 crewcab conversion I like seeing different ideas. Keep the pics comming.

Great job man. Fab work is fun! Hope the city gets off your case. I love the country living....my uncle is the man in charge of my "city".

Back