38's and 40's - options...

sredish

Where am I?
I'm wanting ALL the options for 38" and 40" tires, even more specific for an 18" wheel, but if your unsure, a name is great and I'll check out the specs and start a list. Not interested in the more aggressive M/Ts like Baja Claws or Mud Grapplers but I'll take what I can get. So far I've found:

Pro Comp Xtreme A/T - 38x14.50x18
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ - 38x15.50x18 & 40x13.50x18
Toyo Open Country M/T - 38x15.50x18
Interco TrXus M/T - 38x14.50x18
Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71 - 38x15.50x18

What else?

I'm sure you know about the Mickey MTZ's as well.
Dick Cepek Mud Country 38/15.50R18....only a load range C, but load rating of over 3400lbs per tire I believe.

Those are the only other two that jump out at me that you haven't already mentioned.
Parnelli Jones might make a 38 for a 18" wheel...I know they came out with some bigger wheel size stuff this yearl..

Thanks Dan. I didn't realize about the mud country. the mickey atz is a load range c as well and thats not going to cut it. i keep swaying between going a tad more civilized like the Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts since I street a little more and they're a load range E but then after I'm like, hell no, and thinking of going with another set of these Toyos because I really like them. I also had a set of the Interco TrXus M/Ts and really really like them also, they look a little nastier but are still about as tame as the Toyo M/Ts maybe a tad softer sidewall. Above all, the Kumhos are A LOT less, like $250 a tire if I can find them, haven't looked yet but I know for a fact I can get the Toyos and ProComps.... we'll see...

Yeah, the Kuhmo's are a good tire.
I know Marty (Truck Toyz) really likes them. One of the techs runs the 37s on his truck and has around 25,000 miles on them and they show very little wear.

I can't decided on tires either LOL
Only I'm looking at 38/15.50R20s.
My finalists are:
Toyo Open Country M/T
Kuhmo Muds
Dick Cepek Mud Country
Mickey MTZ

or...wait for the Hankook Dynapro MT to be released (should be out in Jan in my size).

Cool thing (for me) about the Dick Cepek tires is that the tread that wraps over the shoulder and onto the sidewall as a bunch of "DC" tread patterns to it :D

Even though it seems like everyone is getting Toyos now.....I loved those tires. Great riding, wearing, etc.. and very little road noise.

Main thing about the Kuhmo is that they are directional tires.......

Ive decided on the Kuhmos for next year. I loved my toyo's but Kuhmo makes a 38x14x24. That sounds like me

Yeah.. LOL
Just can't cross rotate without having to pull them off the wheels and remount them.

I'm getting some pricing on my choices soon (some of my contacts are on vacation till 2007).....hopefully I can pull the trigger on something soon.

cool, be sure to let us know. i'll probably pull the trigger in the next few weeks... still have to get my wheel width issue resolved.. ;) ;)

sredish said:
cool, be sure to let us know. i'll probably pull the trigger in the next few weeks... still have to get my wheel width issue resolved.. ;) ;)

unless you call him.... good luck knowing before pictures come online. DC is turning into bear jr. :poke: LOL

Gotcha, I was wondering whatever happened with that.

Earliest I'll probably have anything on is 3 weeks. Hell, I still only have 3 wheels LOL
In no real hurry though :D

_CH_ said:
unless you call him.... good luck knowing before pictures come online. DC is turning into bear jr. :poke: LOL

What you talking about Snoman??
LOL

I change my mind on what I want a lot.......if this price list I have from my buddy is still good on the Toyos...I might be running them again. He can get them CHEAP!!!! :D

Or maybe I'm just trying to lead you in the wrong direction :poke:

with you there DC, i change my mind more often than a 3 year old... definitely a mental disorder there and I never know where I'll end up until it's ordered...

I too have been looking at the toyo M/T's or the Mickey Thompson MTZ's..still in the little guy size of 315/75-16 LOL ..But I loved my Toyo A/T's they wore excellently, nice performing tire...

I have about settled on the 38.5x14.50x18's.... they're an actual size of 38.5 where the Toyos I have and would get are 37.7, so they're the tallest 38" or so tire you can get. They're also a Load E where the Mickeys are a C and the Toyos are a D. They're an all terrain but that's okay, they should be nice for the wife, last a good while and I'll get more use out of the winch that way... LOL They're also cheaper and a little lighter than the Toyos and Mickeys.

So you went with Pro Comps??

I damn near got screwed on finding my 4th wheel......apparently Weld no longer makes them. But, got lucky and found a 4th...chrome though = more prep work :bang

Looks like I'll probably get Toyos again......I can get them CHEAP through my buddy that has a shop up here :D LOL

I haven't bought anything and still won't for a few weeks still....

but, I'm still having somewhat of a hard choice. I've narrowed it a lot, but it's either the Pro Comp A/Ts or the 38.5x14.50 TrXus M/Ts...

I had a set of the TrXus M/Ts before on my dually and LOVED them. They are probably a tad less aggressive than the Toyo M/Ts actually but are a hair softer on the tread. The sidewalls are 10 ply but the actual tread is a little softer and they ride remarkably good on the road and are every bit as quiet as the Toyos. They're cheaper than the Toyos and actually cheaper than the Pro Comps and I can get 40k out of them, go a little farther than with the Pro Comps, and they look a helluva lot better. They're also a 38.6" tire, not undersized like most.

sstrxus.jpg

Last edited:
here's my old dually:

I can't decide.... then I go back to thinking about how I have my 16" wheels, so I could get the Pro Comp A/T's for my 18" wheels for work and trips and then just get some ass kickin mudders for my 16s for playing....

Last edited:
From what I understand.....the 38s for 20s are available, at least through one of my buddy's suppliers they are. Going to have him call the guy with the cheaper prices in a bit and will know for sure :D

Back