500hp/1000lb/ft-Cost to reach on Big 3

Are we counting all the fuel I had to burn to figure out EFIlive to make around 500hp? Then there is the accelerated tire wear :doh:

I dont have dyno numbers to prove it, but ran a 13.1@104 in extended cab 4x4, no weight reduction, weighs in with 7200 race weight with me and fuel.

Anyway

EFIlive..............750
Edelbrock 1792...200
Summit Exhaust 400

So around 1350.00 total

With my 03 I got 525/996 on the following ENGINE modifications. (yes, I read your entire post)
PPE Xcelerator - 600
TST R49 (used) 560
Straight piped for 60
AEM intake overpaid 275
II Silver Bullet - ??? I traded wheels and tires I no longer wanted for it, but I figured for what I got and what I gave it was even, say 1500...
I paid close to $3000 for it.

The reason I started this is because it got me thinking...

Hold that thought, I saw only one PSD owner chime in, are they too embarassed they spent more than we did for 500 or even less HP?

Anyway, I read an article in the TDR magazine about an 04 CR Cummins that had a Predator, Power Puck, and Extreme tune of Snow Performance for $1495 and ran 500/1050.

Wait.... Isn't Snow Performance used like nitrous, "only when you need it"? Or can it be injected for long runs? Can it be considered a drug? If so, then I guess people can run a lesser HP truck and use nitrous to get to the 500, kind of like they did in the article with the Snow Performance on the dyno.

I don't know, thinking out loud here.

Nick

Last edited:
NPloysa said:
The reason I started this is because it got me thinking...

Hold that thought, I saw only one PSD owner chime in, are they too embarassed they spent more than we did for 500 or even less HP?

Anyway, I read an article in the TDR magazine about an 04 CR Cummins that had a Predator, Power Puck, and Extreme tune of Snow Performance for $1495 and ran 500/1050.

Wait.... Isn't Snow Performance used like nitrous, "only when you need it"? Or can it be injected for long runs? Can it be considered a drug? If so, then I guess people can run a lesser HP truck and use nitrous to get to the 500, kind of like they did in the article with the Snow Performance on the dyno.

I don't know, thinking out loud here.

Nick
To get 500 in a 7.3 is pretty expensive. In a 6.0 it is cheaper but still more than a Duramax, and more than the 3rd gens at least....not sure about the 12 & 24 valves.

I dn't know if I would use nitrous or not. I would rather not. I got my numbers on fuel only, no water, no water/meth, no nitrous, no pane. I think if someone wants a certain hp number and they can't get it on fuel only (which is not impossible IMO) it comes down to their budget. Seems like nitrous can be cheap power, but i'll stick to fuel for now.

Stock injectors on a 6.0 cannot supply enough fuel to get over 430 rwhp on stock turbo. You need to drop in injectors and that will cost you at least $2,000 and then alot of other small mods to support it. I know we are talking about without tranny mods, but, with a 6.0 you need to think about spending around $10,000 on the motor and tranny to get any longevity. To date nobody has put down over 500 rwhp on the stock turbo to the best of my knowledge without the help of juice.

PSDPlayer said:
50/50 water meth was giving us about 50-60hp on the dyno on a 6 liter.

I will double check the numbers when I get home and can re-read the article, but they were running 70/30.

I will edit this with the dyno numbers between all the mods.

Nick

6point6 said:
Duramax is probably the easiest.....I wonder what my truck would put down like it sits....hmmmmmm

The engine will hit 475-500hp with the PPE Hot+2 on Kill, but your trans will limp on the dyno.

Sidebar:

You can't separate the trans mods from the tuning mods with a straight face. I tune trucks all the time where the guy goes, "I'm on my way to get my trans done, so build me something HOT!". Then he calls back confused asking what SHIFT RANGE INHIBITED means.

If you are not ready to do your trans, get those 500RWHP dreams out of your head. No diesel pickup will currently support that power level on a stock transmission very long if at all.

McRat said:
The engine will hit 475-500hp with the PPE Hot+2 on Kill, but your trans will limp on the dyno.

Sidebar:

You can't separate the trans mods from the tuning mods with a straight face. I tune trucks all the time where the guy goes, "I'm on my way to get my trans done, so build me something HOT!". Then he calls back confused asking what SHIFT RANGE INHIBITED means.

If you are not ready to do your trans, get those 500RWHP dreams out of your head. No diesel pickup will currently support that power level on a stock transmission very long if at all.

Yup. same with the 12 valve Dodges. you will need at least a converter & VB upgrade to live at 500 wheel.

I never understood the purpose or rational for this argument:bang

"my truck is better because I only spent $X and got Y hp":blahblah1: :doh:

I'm a diesel enthusiast. The challenge and the work is what is exciting and I enjoy, the money is secondary.

It takes a whole 2 brain cells to plug a box into the newer trucks and make 500 or close to it............BFD..............Does that make them better??:umno:

And I agree with Pat, leaving the tranny cost out of the equation makes it even more of a worthless argument:bang That's like saying "I have $1,000,000 in the bank............but I can't withdraw it because the miniute I do I will die":poke:

A Ford 4R100 can be made practically bulletproof for 500 hp+ for about $4000. To do the same thing with a Dodge or GMC would cost nearly $7000:pop:

Last edited:
I agree, good points Greg, but why are you so defensive? I appreciate what you've done to further the power of a PSD, and YES I know plug and play trucks are easy to get power out of nowadays.

So how much did it cost you to get to 500 HP?

What have you spent on your truck TOTAL to get it to its top numbers?

Bulletproof 4R100 for $4000 and the identical GM/Dodge tranny for $7000?

Putting that $3000 you save from the tranny upgrades can be spent on more PSD engine mods :) But like you said, money spent doesn't matter, so who cares if it costs $3000 more, right?

For some people money is an issue and want the most bang for their buck.

Last edited:
And to add to this......................

If I wanted to have a 500 hp truck, and that was all the further I was going to take it, that truck would be a Ford Superduty with a 7.3L PSD:clap:

Would it take more money compared to the rest to get the engine there? Absolutly!! But it would by far be the best overall performer of the group!!!!!

1- There is no comparison in the trucks themselves! The Ford is of better quality, strength, versitilty, etc. than the rest.

2- Same goes for the driveline.

3- A properly built 500 hp 7.3 PSD has a much broader power band than any of the others! It has the low end torque and power of a 12v and the upper end power of the newer common rails. And can be switched on the fly instantly anywhere in between

And before you go off......Yes I have driven all of them at 500 hp and the 7.3 wins hands down on performance!!!

All 500 hp engines are not the same. It's kind of like going to the grocery store. You can buy ACME Brand vanilla ice cream cheap or spend the money for Bryer's vanilla ice cream. You come out of the store with vanilla ice cream either way, but which would you rather eat?:pop:

Now I'm building a monster Cummins common rail for my truck.......not because it's cheaper, but because it's the best platform to use for the power level I'm shooting for! I will have many more dollars in the Cummins than I had in the 7.3 by the way.

Greg, which engine is the Acme and which is the Bryers? :) Or did you mean the truck/engine package?

Like I said, this thread was simply started because I read about a truck who's mods got it up to 500 RWHP from a stock 283 RWHP (217 RWHP gain) for $1495.

I wasn't trying to say it's better than a Ford because it costs less, or a Dmax is better because it's cheaper than a PSD and a CR Cummins.

Congrats on using a Cummins this time, what will you be shooting for?

Nick,

It was just an analogy buddy ;) Every one of the Brands/combo's has their pro's and con's. It's just frustrating sometimes when people get so blinded by brand loyalty, then throw out the $$ argument, that they can't see the forrest for the trees!! I'm not saying you did that!! It's just a comment. It's what keeps us all apart and stunts the growth of our sport.

Thanks. My new little project is challenging and exciting:woohoo: I'm shooting for 8-900 on fuel and 1200+ on nitrous:evil

Good! And I would be honored to take a ride with you in that old PSD :) Not to mention the new Cummins powered Ford :)

Dockboy said:
3- A properly built 500 hp 7.3 PSD has a much broader power band than any of the others!

Have you seen a dyno of a good running 500 Dmax? :poke: Mine was making over 400rwhp at 2200 rpm and still making over 400rwhp 4200rpm. Peak power of 507 at 2850rpm. That is a 2000rpm rev band with over 400rwhp. I have seen Mech2161 on the dyno. He makes 500rwhp and his power was droping off hard after peak.:poke:

JOHNBOY said:
Have you seen a dyno of a good running 500 Dmax? :poke: Mine was making over 400rwhp at 2200 rpm and still making over 400rwhp 4200rpm. Peak power of 507 at 2850rpm. That is a 2000rpm rev band with over 400rwhp. I have seen Mech2161 on the dyno. He makes 500rwhp and his power was droping off hard after peak.:poke:

Yes I have:poke: In fact, I have probably seen and personally dynoed more trucks than you can possibly imagine!! :Cheer: And you can ask Kevin (Mech2161) how my 500 hp PSD dynoed and performed as he has seen it personally ;)

My 500 hp peak dyno sheets are 450+ hp from 2300 rpm to red line (3700 rpm) and flat has a table top on a Dynojet. Peak hp at 2600 rpm puts it at about 200+ more ft/lbs of torque. But don't get confused comparing Superflow graphs with Dynojet graphs ;) They are not the same!

150hp DDP injectors $900
Silver bullet turbo $1500
TST COMP fueling box $500
Smarty $650

so $3550 on a 02 24v vp44 truck...you can throw in intake and exhaust if you want, but they dont really make power, just help keep EGT's down

Back