500hp/1000lb/ft-Cost to reach on Big 3

I'm not arguing track times and I totally agree- use the dyno for tuning your truck only and use times run on the same track for truck by truck comparisons.

However, the original poster wanted proven 500hp combos. Given that criteria, it seems a bit odd to post track times and claim they equate to dyno'd HP. Don't believe me? Use my truck for an example- it ran 11.41@120 at 6180 race weight this year at Indy. It was on the dyno about 4 weeks before that and put down 596HP. Does the track lie? Nope. Does the dyno lie? I doubt it. Does the HP/weight correlate the time? Not at all. That's my point, it's not an ideal correlation and should not be used for comparison.

joefarmer said:
I'm not arguing track times and I totally agree- use the dyno for tuning your truck only and use times run on the same track for truck by truck comparisons.

However, the original poster wanted proven 500hp combos. Given that criteria, it seems a bit odd to post track times and claim they equate to dyno'd HP. Don't believe me? Use my truck for an example- it ran 11.41@120 at 6180 race weight this year at Indy. It was on the dyno about 4 weeks before that and put down 596HP. Does the track lie? Nope. Does the dyno lie? I doubt it. Does the HP/weight correlate the time? Not at all. That's my point, it's not an ideal correlation and should not be used for comparison.
quoted from the thread started "So whoever owns what, Cummins, PSD, Duramax, etc. List your power at approx 500/1000 and the cost of what it took to get there on engine mods alone"

joe... i would say that you have 600hp truck.... even if the dyno pull 49Xhp on mine... it is still a comparable figure and well within what the person was asking...

malibu795 said:
true.... i believe i am doing 500 with out a lift pump and will be solidly in the 500s with a lift pump... and the fact the wheel speed is 4-7mph faster than ground speed vs time slip going across the white line.... mean to me i need to too save for some slicks...... to break 101+mph

first/last dyno sheet i have is from redding... back in june at 450 (rich maddog did not do torque for some reason for any of the trucks). every one was saying they were ~10-15% low on power.
i havent had a chance to dyno again yet.... so really all i got is time slips

a dyno is a tuning tool and all are different.... track is were it is at and the trap speed depics hp... NO?

btw my race weight vairy between 6800-7300 depending on how much fuel (up to 94gl) i have onboard..... and i have raced at 7300 pounds and done 100.XX trap speed with out a lift pump........ fault me is you want to i stand by my claim..... 500 with out a lift pump and over 500 with one

Malibu,

Track trap speeds never lie and properly run dynos rarely do ;)

Smokemup.com's HP calculator from trap speed is the most accurate HP calculator out there. Although it tends to read 5-10% high with our trucks.

6800 lbs. at 100.75 calculats 472 hp. Subtract the 5-10% and you are right at the 450 you dyno'd.

As was stated before, 60' times have nearly zero effect on 1/4 trap speed. Also it has been proven many, many times that 500+ hp shows trap speeds of 104-106 mph in a 7000 lb. truck.

And if you think that few mph increase is easy, you got another thing coming to you!!

Every truck on the road COULD do X if you added Y parts!! COULD and actually DOING are two different things ;)

I'm not saying I have a 500hp truck, the point was that track times should not be correlated to dyno numbers.

Can you post your latest dyno sheet?

Thanks Greg- "Every truck on the road COULD do X if you added Y parts!! COULD and actually DOING are two different things ;)" is what I'm trying to say.

Dockboy said:
Malibu,

Track trap speeds never lie and properly run dynos rarely do ;)

Smokemup.com's HP calculator from trap speed is the most accurate HP calculator out there. Although it tends to read 5-10% high with our trucks.

6800 lbs. at 100.75 calculats 472 hp. Subtract the 5-10% and you are right at the 450 you dyno'd.

As was stated before, 60' times have nearly zero effect on 1/4 trap speed. Also it has been proven many, many times that 500+ hp shows trap speeds of 104-106 mph in a 7000 lb. truck.

And if you think that few mph increase is easy, you got another thing coming to you!!

Every truck on the road COULD do X if you added Y parts!! COULD and actually DOING are two different things ;)

ok.... back up I got ahead of my self :bang
the 100.75mph was with a stock tranny @ 6800lb = limped tranny or the ~ 450 the greg is saying BTW is impersive to say the least that the stocker held that much.....

the time in my sig june 2nd I did 100.11, 100.13 and on august 11 100.06 @ 7200 pound

joe
the dyno was done with a sc4 tranny installed and my first dyno pull... couldnt figure out how to lock the tranny in gear
it goes 4th TCC unlock to 4th+ TCC lock then 5th

i still have a hard time believing that im only doing ~450

Attachments

• HPIM0242.JPG
    HPIM0242.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
malibu795 said:
ok.... back up I got ahead of my self :bang
the 100.75mph was with a stock tranny @ 6800lb = limped tranny or the ~ 450 the greg is saying BTW is impersive to say the least that the stocker held that much.....

the time in my sig june 2nd I did 100.11, 100.13 and on august 11 100.06 @ 7200 pound

joe
the dyno was done with a sc4 tranny installed and my first dyno pull... couldnt figure out how to lock the tranny in gear
it goes 4th TCC unlock to 4th+ TCC lock then 5th

i still have a hard time believing that im only doing ~450

Actually the 450 on that graph is a shift spike!!:doh: Without it it is about a 425 pull which is about right for just EFI live. The most I've ever seen a Dmax with just EFI Live put down is 440.

Also, 7200 @ 100.1 still only shows 480 on Smokemup and again, it's always 5-10% high.

When you can run at least 104 mph, claim 500, untill then.......you just don't have it ;)

Sorry- sounding like an know-it-all now, but I just have to post this one. :hehe:

Greg: We tuned Kevin's truck w/EFILive + AFE + exhaust (and tranny) to 480hp over a period of a 1 hour dyno session last winter. Here's the dyno sheet, Run #1 is a reference TTS tune run. I'm close to replicating the power of a TTS tune, but I don't want to push his con rods too far. ;)

Attachments

• kevin EFI.png
    kevin EFI.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 36
joefarmer said:
Sorry- sounding like an know-it-all now, but I just have to post this one. :hehe:

Greg: We tuned Kevin's truck w/EFILive + AFE + exhaust (and tranny) to 480hp over a period of a 1 hour dyno session last winter. Here's the dyno sheet, Run #1 is a reference TTS tune run. I'm close to replicating the power of a TTS tune, but I don't want to push his con rods too far. ;)

Cool Brandon!!!:rockwoot:

But as I said also, the "typical" EFI Live only Dmax is in the 425-450 range. ;)

To answer the threads original question,when I first started in 04 with my truck I installed the following for the motor power only:

Mbrp exhaust-$450.00
Edge EZ-$500.00
TST-$850.00
FASS-$600.00
DD Jammer Turbo-$1400.00

Total:$3800.003

This netted me 514 hp and 1080 torque, mind you this was all useable fairly low egt power.This combo netted me a 13.49@101 mph,but I also had a pretty expensive transmission.Truck weighed 7450 with me in it when I ran those times.

Dockboy said:
Cool Brandon!!!:rockwoot:

But as I said also, the "typical" EFI Live only Dmax is in the 425-450 range. ;)
typical as in stock turbo, with or with out lift pump.................

i know of several the dyno 49X with stock turbo and lift pump ...

turbomatt1 said:
95 Ram with 370 Marines $300 , Garmon Gov springs $250, & a bit of elbow greese, did 505hp & over 1200ftlbs to the wheels.
Hard to beat the old 12 valvers fo cheap HP!

oh i got to get me some of those :rockwoot:
looks like i might turn better #'s than i thought when i hit the dyno after completion :clap:

The 12 is the cheapest to get extra HP out of ! how ever in the new higher HP factory models out now (dodge ,ford,chevy) they have a big advantage of plug and play and show bigger numbers with less trouble.

lubeowner said:
Stock injectors on a 6.0 cannot supply enough fuel to get over 430 rwhp on stock turbo. You need to drop in injectors and that will cost you at least $2,000 and then alot of other small mods to support it. I know we are talking about without tranny mods, but, with a 6.0 you need to think about spending around $10,000 on the motor and tranny to get any longevity. To date nobody has put down over 500 rwhp on the stock turbo to the best of my knowledge without the help of juice.

With what said above I do not have a dyno sheet for my friend but his '04 6.0 was at 472hp and 1006 with intake exhaust and a custom sct tune. That is all it had but after pulling this summer his tranny is fried.

As for my #'s I had at dyno time:
Edge j w/ Attitude Hot program- $750
Muffler delete- $50
Ts Performance Mp-8- $360 used
II 62/14- $900 used

Here is the dyno sheet and you can plainly see where the edge defueled itself.

dynosheet.jpg

An '04 6.0 at what stock RWHP, 275 (15% loss) put out 200 more HP with a custom tune? Plus whatever the intake made, if any.

Wow?

Nick

My 99 7.3 is right at 500 hp and 910 lbs. It is running out of air at 3000, so bigger charger is needed, but it's still there. List:

DIY Injectors - $1200

DIY Big oil - $1000

Stock S300 Turbo - $800

Headstuds - $700

Custom DP chip - $400

Exhaust and misc - $500

Total = $4600

I am under the impression that any powerstroke with the same hp as the other 2 is faster. the stock tranny for the 6.0 can hold more hp and tq than the other 2 b4 haveing to mod, a CC 4x4 weighing in at 8000 lbs truck with just a 450$ tune will run 13.7 if tuned correctly, Now the 6litre is not proven itself to be the boss hogs like the Dodge and Chevy, but its time will come and it will be here sooner than most expect it!My prediction is that the fastest street truck will be a 6.0 within 1 year......
Let the **** talking begin:blahblah1: :shake:

rhcdiesel said:
I am under the impression that any powerstroke with the same hp as the other 2 is faster. the stock tranny for the 6.0 can hold more hp and tq than the other 2 b4 haveing to mod, a CC 4x4 weighing in at 8000 lbs truck with just a 450$ tune will run 13.7 if tuned correctly, Now the 6litre is not proven itself to be the boss hogs like the Dodge and Chevy, but its time will come and it will be here sooner than most expect it!My prediction is that the fastest street truck will be a 6.0 within 1 year......
Let the **** talking begin:blahblah1: :shake:

:hehe: :hehe: LOL LOL

Back