6.0 turbos upgrade!!!!

Retains the quick spooling characteristics of the VNT but gives you the ability to make big power. First on Race Day blew his 64mm SS up from overspeed so we built him this larger turbo to keep shaft speed down and still make big boost.

VNT... All the Garret's are VNT's.

Yes the exhaust vane design is changed and the turbine is larger and designed for the AVNT. On the Dmax's the drive pressure levels off at 1:1 up to about 40 psi.. drive pressure overtakes at that point. Tip in drive pressures on a VNT are always higher than boost at lower rpm and high vane position but they level off quickly.

Brayden

so your saying the 6 leaker turbo with a 71mm compressor wheel will have a 1:1 boost vs back pressure, how much, i'd like to test it, i bet it'll work good if thats the case

so your saying the 6 leaker turbo with a 71mm compressor wheel will have a 1:1 boost vs back pressure, how much, i'd like to test it, i bet it'll work good if thats the case

See post 91 right above yours.... Tip in drive pressure is higher than boost always on a VNT, but it levels off quickly once you reach your target boost level.

We'll have them on the site shortly. I machined the pictured cover for a map width enhancement groove yesterday afternoon. I'll post a picture of it shortly.

Brayden

Last edited:
I love how you can talk about boost vs backpressure throughout the rpm on a prototype turbo that you haven't actually put on a 6.0 yet. :bang

Well Chad.. Since the turbo really isn't any different than the one used on the Duramax... I'm pretty confident in the statement...

Backpressure on a VNT is dependent on tuning.

The turbo has been tested to 50+ psi on the dragstrip...Only thing that's different is the turbine housing and the engine that it's bolted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dV2fzITiU

Anything else?

Last edited:
I can think of three reasons why it would be different:

1. We don't have the ability to tune like the Duramax's

2. Our heads flow differently

3. Our Cams are different

I would assume that any of those three let alone all three together would yield different results. That's all I'm saying. I’m not even going to go into the injector differences that can yield different results, because I’m not a tuner, so I don’t know exactly what they can and cannot do.

By the tone of your reply, I think you miss interpreted my response. I'm happy to see the progress being made in the 6.0's. It is people like you who are thinking outside of the box that will make the difference. I'm just skeptical of “functional descriptions” I guess you would call it, on something that hasn't been tried. It would be one thing if your response was, “On the Duramax engines we see this……..” but to say it will be this…… doesn’t work for me.

Lets fire this thing up and see what you have!

Bryan will have it shortly and we'll see. He'll be more than fit to test it.

I've seen some of the tuning software, and you have most all of the parameters that we have, keeping the vane position low at high rpm and flow is imperative. We only ran about 30% vane position @ 50psi on that drag run.

We'll see how things go.

Brayden

Back