A Decade In Review Were Are They Now ??

I think I can take credit .... or blame .... for getting Merv hooked after we met one night during Midnight Madness at MIR.

Does he sill have the same truck?

I really liked the sport back then, it was so much fun, it was just different back then, maybe because nobody knew what to expect, including us ... I can remember the first nitrous run I made, we installed the smallest 2 jets we could find, Andy Sebek and Jeff Magyer (?) sat in the stands (still have the video actually) fully expecting the truck to just blow right up on the starting line, but instead we ran something like a 12.70 @ 113 or somewhere around there, which was pretty darned quick back then.

Hey Ted! How ya been?:Cheer:

I remember when Doug (Jetpilot) and I were the ONLY ones spraying nitrous at our events. Everyone would do nothing but give us crap and there was always an astrik on the board by our names!! We were like their entertainment! LOL Now days the astrik is for fuel only!! :hehe:

I agree with you though, the sport was really fun back in those days but it has definitly changed for the worse for me recently :(. I've had lots of discussions with people about the "change" in the sport. I think alot of it has to do with age personally. Back then, most of us were of a little more mature age, mostly because we were the only ones that could afford the trucks!! And if you wanted to "push the limits" it wasn't like today where you just go buy some parts and walla. We had to experiment, blow $hit up, experiment some more, etc. That is what made it fun for me.

Now days, an 18 year old kid can buy a 10 year old truck for $5,000, throw another grand in parts at it and then think they have a smoke blowing race car to run around the streets in. They act like they have 1000 hp like their internet and magazine heros and have to prove it at every stop light or empty parking lot:what::bang Frustrates the hell out of me:(

Hey Ted! How ya been?:Cheer:

I remember when Doug (Jetpilot) and I were the ONLY ones spraying nitrous at our events. Everyone would do nothing but give us crap and there was always an astrik on the board by our names!! We were like their entertainment! LOL Now days the astrik is for fuel only!! :hehe:

I agree with you though, the sport was really fun back in those days but it has definitly changed for the worse for me recently :(. I've had lots of discussions with people about the "change" in the sport. I think alot of it has to do with age personally. Back then, most of us were of a little more mature age, mostly because we were the only ones that could afford the trucks!! And if you wanted to "push the limits" it wasn't like today where you just go buy some parts and walla. We had to experiment, blow $hit up, experiment some more, etc. That is what made it fun for me.

Now days, an 18 year old kid can buy a 10 year old truck for $5,000, throw another grand in parts at it and then think they have a smoke blowing race car to run around the streets in. They act like they have 1000 hp like their internet and magazine heros and have to prove it at every stop light or empty parking lot:what::bang Frustrates the hell out of me:(

Hey Greg! :Cheer:

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have gotten frustrated or broke aseveral times and walked away from everything. I sold both my trucks, one to Scott at MassDiesel (he's pretty much rebuilt the whole thing since I had it though) and the other to a buddy of mine who still runs it around there, my 3rd truck went to Skynard who still has it (I think) and now I'm on my 4th. Personally I enjoyed being on the leading edge and not exactly knowing what would happen when we tried something new. I enjoyed working with Marco back when he just made ECM's, before anybody ever thought of a Hypertech type programmer. I enjoyed renting Kaufmans out with Doug and dynoing different combos ALL day long, the only rest from the dyno was when we blew something up . I also, as much as it sucked at the time, enjoyed putting on a new Piers HX40, heading to the strip, changing back to the old HX40 while at the track cause you just blew the new one up, then blowing up the newly replaced old one, limping the truck home at 20 miles an hour with a nice oily haze following me all while I was trying to decide how to tell my then girlfriend at the time, how I managed to spend so much money in just a few hours ... benefits of living just a few miles from MIR I guess :)

I haven't been on here much in a while, but did follow your issues and felt so bad when I saw the video of yours blowing up on that dyno. Any plans for you now?

Hey Greg! :Cheer:

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have gotten frustrated or broke aseveral times and walked away from everything. I sold both my trucks, one to Scott at MassDiesel (he's pretty much rebuilt the whole thing since I had it though) and the other to a buddy of mine who still runs it around there, my 3rd truck went to Skynard who still has it (I think) and now I'm on my 4th. Personally I enjoyed being on the leading edge and not exactly knowing what would happen when we tried something new. I enjoyed working with Marco back when he just made ECM's, before anybody ever thought of a Hypertech type programmer. I enjoyed renting Kaufmans out with Doug and dynoing different combos ALL day long, the only rest from the dyno was when we blew something up . I also, as much as it sucked at the time, enjoyed putting on a new Piers HX40, heading to the strip, changing back to the old HX40 while at the track cause you just blew the new one up, then blowing up the newly replaced old one, limping the truck home at 20 miles an hour with a nice oily haze following me all while I was trying to decide how to tell my then girlfriend at the time, how I managed to spend so much money in just a few hours ... benefits of living just a few miles from MIR I guess :)

I haven't been on here much in a while, but did follow your issues and felt so bad when I saw the video of yours blowing up on that dyno. Any plans for you now?

LOL Ted

Like you, the fun part for me is being on cutting (bleeding) edge! LOL

My wife use to get furious with me when it was my daily truck! Now that it is a flat out toy, she just shrugs and says "have fun" :hehe:

The truck is still lots of fun. Like you did, I live 5 min from a track so I am there alot. It is running high 10's,low 11's and is a blast!

It would be great to see you at one of our events!

I may make it to one someday, but thats a long drive for me now, would still like to catch up with a few of you though.

What's Chris (Chawk) up to these days? I know he got away from all the diesel stuff didn't he?

I may make it to one someday, but thats a long drive for me now, would still like to catch up with a few of you though.

What's Chris (Chawk) up to these days? I know he got away from all the diesel stuff didn't he?

It would be great to see you!!

Haven't talked to Chris in about a year. Yes, he got out of his half of the diesel business a couple years ago and they sold the dyno to Scott Hovey.

I love hearing about the "good ol days" I go up to relentless and talk to chris strickland for hours and it always ends up at the old stories and I love it.

And dockboy, i've only been it for 5 years but I feel the same way. I sold the bus in February and have my near stock 12v now. I have a CompD and a relentless sticker in the back window to support my friends and every hick with a 350-500 hp cr thinks he's the schit because he blew smoke. I went for a ride around town last night and swear it happened 4 times.

ok need some help from some of the old timers. Max the new owner is looking for a date when the lil red was completed.

what was the last year of thunder in muncie that should have been the first year we ran it with the bed in primer. I know there used to be a video on ats sight but cant find it.

thanks for the help. with geocities getting shut down I dont have much info on dates thanks
George

I read a good many of the first pages and thought I would put up my good ole days story.

I bought my first diesel in 02 it was a 97 F-350 RCLB with a 6" Skyjacker on 35's. Well I didnt even make it home before the trans came un crunkted. I got the trans rebuilt with almost the best stuff avalible back then and straight to Garmons I went. I would guess that some of the 7.3 PSD parts that are out now came from my truck. Every part Jeff got we would throw it on my truck and see what it would do. Back then I didnt have a clue about anything under the hood other than how to do maintence. Needless to say the first thing that went in my truck was a custom burnt Jeff tune. He told me to pull the computer out of the truck and I came back with the injector driver....... he got a good laugh outta that then proceded to tell me where I could find the ever ellusive computer in the fire wall. Well when it was all said and done the truck would come unglued shifting into 3rd on dry pavement. It also wouldnt keep a trans in it for more than 3 months at a time. I wound up putting the truck back stock after it got away from me pulling out into traffic and I almost took out a few cars, and seein how my wife was driving the truck more than I was at the time it was a move for the better. I really do miss that truck and would love to have it back to do a 12v swap. I dosent seem like almost 9 years have gone by since I started this addiction and it just gets worse everyday.

hey sledpuller remember that tall skinny kid (team smoke lol) that kicked your butt the first time you pulled back when enterprise engine and the ohio guys were woopin on everybody lol

Team Smoke, first and last win, Team JOKE, LOL!!

Thunder in Muncie last year before the move to Indy was 2004.
Thunder in Muncie is back again under NADM this year,end of June 25th 2011!!

seems like it now man its hard to believe its bn over 10 years when i started. i was 19 at that pull im 31 now (makes u feel old sleddy lol) i havent hooked since 03 but i really miss it but i think im gonna make a come back been collecting some parts btw gene its good to hear from you

yeh i know right some 370 stix no, torque plate and a hx40 if had that youwas the cock of the walk lol ahh the gold old days hey get ahold of me so we can catch up you still doin the amsoil thing

I think this truck was in the "old school" mix of performance, just wondering if anyone knows or remembers it?

100_0625.jpg

100_0626.jpg

Pre-1999,Just a couple white dodges blowing smoke, blowing turbos, and blowing trannys. Nothing real exciting.

Who remembers the New Lexington indoor sled pull in like 2001 or 2002? It was the first time I think they had pulled diesel pickups indoors. There was NO smoke tube! About 60 diesel trucks later I think they had to tear the building down afterwards to get rid of the soot!! I remember the drivers could not see the finish line flagman because of all the smoke. It was pretty funny! I think Johnboy, Thunder, Dava and Loretta Mitchell were there. No Frank Puskarich and I am pretty sure it was pre Sledpuller days. I think Scheid was there with their new truck, currently Brad Ingrams ride....they didn't get off the line.

And Some HillBilly In a JohnDeere Uniform with a killer yellow service truck, The First Purpose built open truck, Of SuperSonics, Then The First Real Tube Chassis Truck By Supersonic, Built in central Ohio 2 car garage. Lots of old names being brought up here!

Travis

Who remembers the New Lexington indoor sled pull in like 2001 or 2002? It was the first time I think they had pulled diesel pickups indoors. There was NO smoke tube! About 60 diesel trucks later I think they had to tear the building down afterwards to get rid of the soot!! I remember the drivers could not see the finish line flagman because of all the smoke. It was pretty funny! I think Johnboy, Thunder, Dava and Loretta Mitchell were there. No Frank Puskarich and I am pretty sure it was pre Sledpuller days. I think Scheid was there with their new truck, currently Brad Ingrams ride....they didn't get off the line.

I'm still coughing up soot from that night.

Sledpuller was still "The Amsoil Dodge" at that point, with this list of massive modifications: 300HP inj, #5 plate, 16 Housing on an HX-35,EGR and cat removed, muffler still on, and Im not even sure if I had a clutch yet, or any pump work..

Johnboy could not see the STARTING flagger.

Kent came back at the end of the night and tried like 6 times to light that turbo-and failed. I wonder what it was?

There was a new gasser Ford with nitrous that wrapped his rear axle up, and I believe that may have been the first night I met STING, who was a gasser trash BBC man at the time, but now is a Duramax racer!

That may have been the first night I saw George Peterson too..thought his stack was pretty gay,12 foot tall single bull hauler, did you pick it out for him KTA?LOL
I have video of that somewhere...

Back