ALH TDI problems

Drive this POS for 60+ miles on the Hwy with NO Limp and NO CEL....

Drove to the house and let it idle while I grabbed my Glock & Ammo to head to the range... Pulling out of of my street.. Went from 1st to 2nd gear under normal load and it F'ng LIMPED!! Ugh!!!!

So pissed!!!

Still no CEL though... Will have to check codes on Friday when I'm off next.

Swole have you replaced the VNT acutator yet? If not do so. Mine was doing the samething your is doing and it was the actuator. I have since put over 2000 miles on it in the last 2 weeks(this is not normal for me) and it hasnt limped once.

The only conclusion I could come up with was it would stick or move slowly and during shifts it would boost spike causing limp mode.

Also replaced ALL your vacuum lines. Mine had all kinds of pin hole leaks in them.

Swole have you replaced the VNT acutator yet? If not do so. Mine was doing the samething your is doing and it was the actuator. I have since put over 2000 miles on it in the last 2 weeks(this is not normal for me) and it hasnt limped once.

The only conclusion I could come up with was it would stick or move slowly and during shifts it would boost spike causing limp mode.

Also replaced ALL your vacuum lines. Mine had all kinds of pin hole leaks in them.

This will be my next step!!

Actuator first and then lines...

VW won't sell the actuator by itself.. I'll call that company Hightech is talking bout!

I picked up one on amazon for 49 bucks shipped to my house. FYI

I don't do much internet shopping / buying... Who or what do I look for to get that price? Was it new?

And also.. How hard was it to install??

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Wastegate-Actuator-Stainless-Turbocharger/dp/B00BD9BT7K/ref=sr_1_19?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1371598627&sr=1-19&keywords=tdi+turbo"]Amazon.com: Turbo Internal Wastegate Vacuum Actuator Stainless Steel Mounting Bracket for Garrett Turbocharger 1.9Tdi 2.0Tdi: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41o0ELu2x9L.@@AMEPARAM@@41o0ELu2x9L[/ame]

Looks like price has gone up a little.

Very easy. Unbolt braket showing
disconnect actuator from turbo
measure thread length of old actuator
make new actuator same length
reinstall
Test drive.

Took me about 10 mins. I got lucky as i didnt need to re-adjust mine but if you do here is a right up on it.
TDIClub Forums

Very easy todo.

Amazon.com: Turbo Internal Wastegate Vacuum Actuator Stainless Steel Mounting Bracket for Garrett Turbocharger 1.9Tdi 2.0Tdi: Automotive

Looks like price has gone up a little.

Very easy. Unbolt braket showing
disconnect actuator from turbo
measure thread length of old actuator
make new actuator same length
reinstall
Test drive.

Took me about 10 mins. I got lucky as i didnt need to re-adjust mine but if you do here is a right up on it.
TDIClub Forums

Very easy todo.

Thanks Guys!! Looks like this will be my next expendature.

And I SO HOPE it's the fix...

Okay Turbom700... I ordered the one in the link.
I sure hope this is the fix...

Thanks for the help finding it and for giving me hope since it fixed yours.

I can't see to well up in there. Is that just a normal CirClip that's holding the actuator arm on the turbo??

Anyone??

Well as my luck would have it I dropped the circlip trying to reinstall and it just freakin disappeared!! Searched for an hour with a mirror but can't find it... Ugh!

Gonna have to wait till I can't get another..

Would a normal cotter pin work? Mine has an over boosting issue right now. Stock it's hitting 25 and evry mod is just evil to where I don't run it anymore.

Would a normal cotter pin work? Mine has an over boosting issue right now. Stock it's hitting 25 and evry mod is just evil to where I don't run it anymore.

Cotters not gonna work... I was at least smart enough to take a pic of it because I felt like this would happen.

null_zpsc4144656.jpg

null_zpscef72b50.jpg

null_zps35d9df86.jpg

You can run it with out one. I have been doing it for a long time and it hasnt come off.

:note this isnt a good idea but I did the same thing.

Also while you have the acutator off make sure the arm moves freely. About a half inch.

You can run it with out one. I have been doing it for a long time and it hasnt come off.

:note this isnt a good idea but I did the same thing.

Also while you have the acutator off make sure the arm moves freely. About a half inch.

I kinda figured I could but am just ocd that way...
I just picked up some generic E Clips and "Hair pin" style clips to see if they'll work..

The arm on the turbo itself that moves the vanes did seem to move fairly freely, so I think it's good there..
I just measured the old actuator arm length and then set the new one to the exact same length..

Now I'm to lazy to go back home and get all hot and sweaty again.. lol
I may wait till Monday.. I'm on duty and have several off duty details to work ALL weekend starting in the morn at 0500 hours...

I'll keep ya posted when it's on and if it works.

Back