ats tranny

Theres a reason.........

I dealt with Chris at ats and he called me the other day to check in on the tranny, they seem to have a level of concern to make sure the customer is happy..

Theres a reason they called and asked about it. (68 RFE CORRECT???) They have more returns than they have trannys out in trucks. Then they need us to look at data with our WITECH so they can make changes. Try different wiring harnesses for the Co-pilot, different TCM's, and so on. All this from a trans that they told the customer would be bulletproof behind a claimed 800 HP truck. (Didnt feel nearly as strong as my VP turd) Maybe they are getting the 68 RFE figured out, but it WAS at the expense and time of the customer. Its mighty hard explaining to a customer that his high dollar bulletproof trans keeps spitting its guts out and after 3 months and several trans, ATS says to remove the Co-Pilot. WTF!!! Unfortunately there arent many options for a 68 RFE , YET.

I agree the 68 is still a major work in progress but they aren't the only one who has made those claims and not been able to back it up. At least they are trying to take care of it. I know it does not seem the best answer but the 68 presents a ton of issues to deal with.

My issue, isn't just with the trans. I was making about 200 less HP than they told me it would hold when it stopped holding the 2-3 shift.

Initial phone call went very well, they verified I was who I was, and the product, then told me to take it to a shop and have the shop get ahold of them. That they'd handle it from there.

I didn't take it to a POS shop, I took it to a shop that gets alot of work and knows what they're doing. Dude can't afford to have it sit there in his shop doin nothing.

After two or three weeks of them giving him the run around on the phone he called me and told me he'd cut me a deal to fix it, just to have it out of the shop.

I went and picked it up unrepaired, since I knew I was about to be in their neck ofthe woods.

I posted about that part a page or two ago.

All told, the truck was down almost two months, for the "best warranty in the business..."

Good thing it's just a hot rod, and I don't need it at work, or to get to work.

My issue, isn't just with the trans. I was making about 200 less HP than they told me it would hold when it stopped holding the 2-3 shift.

Initial phone call went very well, they verified I was who I was, and the product, then told me to take it to a shop and have the shop get ahold of them. That they'd handle it from there.

I didn't take it to a POS shop, I took it to a shop that gets alot of work and knows what they're doing. Dude can't afford to have it sit there in his shop doin nothing.

After two or three weeks of them giving him the run around on the phone he called me and told me he'd cut me a deal to fix it, just to have it out of the shop.

I went and picked it up unrepaired, since I knew I was about to be in their neck ofthe woods.

I posted about that part a page or two ago.

All told, the truck was down almost two months, for the "best warranty in the business..."

Good thing it's just a hot rod, and I don't need it at work, or to get to work.
I agree 100%. Even if you get them to warranty the trans the fact of the matter is they have a fully billet trans that gets chewed up and spit out by 500hp trucks. WTF? I've seen it over and over, if they didn't have one hell of an advertising department they wouldn't be half the size they are today.
Well being one of only two preferred warranty dealers in the state of Texas wouldn't you think we would see all these denials of warranty claims? :doh:

Yeah there is the occasional customer who comes in with a stage 2 trans and a broken intermediate shaft or output shaft talking about how his tranny broke at the track. Can you name any tranny builder who covers broken stock shafts? Water in the fluid? The list goes on.

I guess its easier to say no warranty on performance products and then people have nothing to ***** about....

It matters not to me really I make no money off of them just sharing what I have personally seen and the dealing I have had with them.

In the beginning of this thread I was unsure if you you worked at ATS or if you were a dealor. I guess there's my answer. Your argument would have a lot more back bone if you had enough confidence in them to run one in your drag truck. There are A LOT of better and cheaper transmissions out there. I can't with good conscience sell/reccomend anybody an ATS trans. There are people out there that can make money off those purple bombs and will continue to pimp them out to honest people who need their trucks for work but I'm not one of them. And really if you've got to send it in for warranty once, twice, three, four, or five times a month then does it matter at that point. I'd rather use a smaller place(who will most likly still warranty it) and hopefully never have to see how good the warranty is. The best warranty is one you never have to use.

In the beginning of this thread I was unsure if you you worked at ATS or if you were a dealor. I guess there's my answer. Your argument would have a lot more back bone if you had enough confidence in them to run one in your drag truck. There are A LOT of better and cheaper transmissions out there. I can't with good conscience sell/reccomend anybody an ATS trans. There are people out there that can make money off those purple bombs and will continue to pimp them out to honest people who need their trucks for work but I'm not one of them. And really if you've got to send it in for warranty once, twice, three, four, or five times a month then does it matter at that point. I'd rather use a smaller place(who will most likly still warranty it) and hopefully never have to see how good the warranty is. The best warranty is one you never have to use.

LOL quite presumptuous of you regarding my confidence and involvement. First of all I am not a dealer. I work offshore as my regular job. When I am home in my off time I help out one of my sponsors at his shop as I do not have my own shop or lift. This gets me discounts on parts and access to the shop. Not to mention he is a friend of mine who just recently lost his wife to cancer and is trying to run a business on top of raising 3 young boys by him self.

Secondly I already had a tranny built by a very reputable tranny builder locally back when I believed everything I read about ATS. He is also a sponsor of mine and am more than grateful to have him on my side and building my transmissions. It has nothing to do with confidence it has every thing to do with loyalty and even cost. There are several people around here who run ATS tranny's in their race trucks.

I will always recommend a reputable builder to someone who is local. Being able to deal with some one face to face IMO is always better. Not everyone has that option though.

Well being one of only two preferred warranty dealers in the state of Texas wouldn't you think we would see all these denials of warranty claims? :doh:

LOL quite presumptuous of you regarding my confidence and involvement. First of all I am not a dealer. I work offshore as my regular job. When I am home in my off time I help out one of my sponsors at his shop as I do not have my own shop or lift. This gets me discounts on parts and access to the shop. Not to mention he is a friend of mine who just recently lost his wife to cancer and is trying to run a business on top of raising 3 young boys by him self.

Secondly I already had a tranny built by a very reputable tranny builder locally back when I believed everything I read about ATS. He is also a sponsor of mine and am more than grateful to have him on my side and building my transmissions. It has nothing to do with confidence it has every thing to do with loyalty and even cost. There are several people around here who run ATS tranny's in their race trucks.

I will always recommend a reputable builder to someone who is local. Being able to deal with some one face to face IMO is always better. Not everyone has that option though.
All based off what you say. Be careful how you say things. How you state your opinions and or experiences can come back to bite you in the ass.

As for your friend, I'm sorry for his loss. My uncle, grandfather, and a few other family members of mine have been cancer victims. It's very hard and I hope his business succeeds.

When you run a small business product quality is huge and it's very hard to explain to a customer why their vehicle is always in for warranty. Even if they aren't paying for it, it gets old. As I said before I hope he succeeds. If he comes on the forum I hope he reads this. Good luck.

This thread wasn't created to get into personal information. The op asked for opinions and got them. Apparently neither you or him liked the replies but I'm sorry, this is real life.

bah I can talk about bad experiences with a lot of vendors people commonly talk highly of and list in their sigs and they aren't big advertisers. Hell several are more word of mouth popular.

For the record I do not own a ATS trans but have installed a few and help out one of my sponsors who is a premier dealer for them and see tons of their products at work. Do they have some issues? Sure but they take care of them for us. I can say no other vendor carries near the warranty. Name another tranny builder that covers labor out side of their shop. Maybe the difference is being a premier dealer (would hate to think that would be the case)

Hell I see people giving praise to some vendors on here that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire but hey to each their own.

Perhaps you missed this part earlier in the thread.

You hate them understood. I know several people who love them and don't have issues with them. All I'm saying. *bdh*

Perhaps you missed this part earlier in the thread.

You hate them understood. I know several people who love them and don't have issues with them. All I'm saying. *bdh*

I didn't miss that? People throw the sponsor thing out there quite often just to give themselves the warm fuzzy important feeling. Could be you work there in exchange for parts. I don't know. So I didn't assume, just went by what was stated... By you. By the way im not saying your sponsorship is like that in any way. Just giving examples.

The facts are ATS transmissions are mediocre at best. If they work out for somebody then great. A question was asked, then answered... By many. To the op I hope your trans works out. Keep us updated. To runninlean, agree to disagree. By the way if what you say is true about you working for your friend for free. Very noble:clap::bow:

Their transmissions might last behind a stock cummins but from much experience they won't even handle a halfway modified truck like mine. But I did get good experience on how to constantly remove transmissions from my truck.

Their transmissions MIGHT last behind a stock cummins but from much experience they won't even handle a halfway modified truck like mine. But I did get good experience on how to constantly remove transmissions from my truck.

Might being the key word...I had the same experience of pulling my trans....could probly do it in my sleep. Since I came to my senses (also more knowledge THANKS to the forums), 0 issues with the present trans/conv for 2 yrs now....

BTW ALOT more power now than what I was dealing with when I had the purple pos...think I only had the bd pmt out of box form...small power, compared to now...

I was wondering if you would chime in on this one... I would say your truck counts LOL

Doesn't Jeremiah run one in in his SS truck?

I was wondering if you would chime in on this one... I would say your truck counts LOL

Doesn't Jeremiah run one in in his SS truck?

micah?? yes he does. all i know is when we had tranny troubles years ago and everybody was like it is the ATS tranny causing your problems, so finally i said ok start sending some parts and we will try others...............long story short nobody else made anything any BETTER! they all ended up burned up in the trash. if somebody would have made better stuff that lasted i would have been the first to have said ATS sucks and so and so is better. never happened. to everyone there own.

Sad thing about this thread is I may have to eat my words from a couple posts....

Back