Compressor surge problems.....

8 blade cast wheel is to heavy going to a billet 7 blade setup and will fix the problem The cast 8 blade wheel moves the air a lot diff the a 7blade designed to be ram as a single.

Bush_O_RLY.jpg

Apparently no one mentioned that when you install that large of a turbine section in a 1.10AR housing based on the 74/83mm wheel, the AR decreases drastically.

Apparently super magic billet parts and sales pitches conquer common sense once again.

Last edited:
8 blade cast wheel is to heavy going to a billet 7 blade setup and will fix the problem The cast 8 blade wheel moves the air a lot diff the a 7blade designed to be ram as a single.

You could put a "super hawk shark killer" compressor wheel on it but that doesn't change your turbine/housing. What salesman did you talk to about getting a billet 7 blade?

from phone

Apparently no one mentioned that when you install that large of a turbine section in a 1.10AR housing based on the 74/83mm wheel, the AR decreases drastically.

Apparently super magic billet parts and sales pitches conquer common sense once again.

Like you know what you're talking about...bif

easy guys, its hard to learn the diesels when all you know is from the Google.

poor Eric, #fueledbyhaters

Oh look we got all the muppets here. I should of known by the time that Sesame Street was on.....

I'm sure the cracked divider and volute have nothing to do with the surging either

Give him a break, he asked the question respectfully.

Read this: Surge Line | Turbobygarrett

What they're trying to tell you is that the billet 7 blade will most likely not work and will be a waste of money.

Running that large of a single at low RPM on a stock head 12v is difficult. You have a large amount of airflow at low RPM that is going unused. At high pressure ratio, the efficiency of the turbo has fallen drastically, however the large compressor had so much flow rate to begin with that even with poor efficiency it is still flowing a relatively large amount.

This.

JSP made 50psi+ out of an S480 T6 1.32 @ 2500rpm, no surge issue.

JSP's truck and OP's 12v are an apples to oranges comparison.

While a 96mm turbine stuffed in a 1.10 T4 is far from ideal, I doubt it's choking at 30 psi. Smaller housings and turbines have dealt with more.

Seems to me too much compressor output on a low RPM chitty 12v head. Maybe a larger housing would delay the speed of the compressor until the motor flow and turbo become more acceptable but I doubt that 96mm 1.10 is choking.

How about we stop arguing on the Internet I made calls to both Danville and bullseye and my turbo builder I'm getting a new wheel and cover to move my compressor map back to the right to were it needs to be. This thread can be closed.

Back