Cost of p-pump over electronics on a VP

jktcummins

24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
Ok I am getting tired of the whole chip and programmer crap with the 24valves. I have had the drag comp, juice w/ attitude, ez, and Adrenaline. I had the smarty to stack with the juice, and adrenaline. So far i have not like the quad adr. due to the shuttering problem and it doesnt feel like it is as strong as the edge. It only fuels to around 3400 or so.

The juice w/ smarty was ok i made 565hp with my current set up. But i could not pull more than 3200rpms.

I want to pull 4000rpms when on the dyno and sled pulling. I am going to keep the smarty to just run on the street. Right now i have a Blue chip FMS box i have been loaned.

I have also be throwing the idea of p-pumping it. However i have heard the the 2002 are a beast to convert.

Anyone have an opinion???

What rpm does it fuel to now with the FMS and Smarty assuming you have those stacked together.

Well thats my delima. Should i go ahead and pull the quad off and try the blue chip or should i try another box. I am almost on the verge of buying a redline or sending this FMS off to get it upgraded to the redline.

I am going to get the FMS for $300 i am not sure what the cost is to upgrade to the redline.

Or should i try a TST??

I know the Redline doesnt have street manner but i can always tune it down and just run the smarty.

At this point i want all i can get out of the VP. Without all the sputtering and surging like the quad

My TST COMP/Smarty only pulls to maybe 3500 but it's out of steam by that point.

Oh sorry I thought the FMS was on the truck. I ran an FMS/Smarty stack with a Scheids Lightning VP. For what I was doing it was a great package and no surging or sputtering. Thats a Great price on the FMS, I wouldnt dream of letting mine go for that little $$$.

I pulled my 99 apart and was dead set on the new Quad box. Guys on here have me damn near talked out of it now. I was thinking it was going to give my old stack a run for its money, but I doubt it.
The 01 is under the P-pump process now because I wanted to get away from these very issues your talking about.

How much of a pain in the ars is the 02 conversion to ppump. Whats it costing you to do the converstion.

I would for sure wait a little longer on quad to get things worked out. It fuels really hard but the dang sputtering is BS

Mine pulls 4k really easy;). I still urge people to do the conversion.

It is $600 to upgrade the FMS to the Redline, so if you can find a redline for $1000, which I have seen a few of, it would almost be just as easy...

Rick

What electronic set up would you say has the highest hp gain and performance gains?????

TST/Smarty
FMS/Smarty
Redline
Edge/Smarty

I am almost convenced to throw away all the other electronic crap and just keep the smarty and stay at the 500hp mark.
However I would really like to break 600hp on fuel only with my little IIsilver 64.

Last edited:
I dont have a total $$$ amount or a PITA rating yet as its not finished yet. I am sure others can chime in with their experiences.

I just bought mine converted (got a hell of a deal). But with talking to the PO, he pulled the motor ans striped it down, then sent it off to get the conversion. That right there easly saved over $1000 and even more was saved when they put it in themselfs.

I love my conversion! I think it is worth the cost to convert over the cost of new vp's and all those box's. The only down side is getting it tuned. That alone has been a small pain, but nothing bad, just a few tweeks here and there and it gets better and better every day!

will you be satisfied if you can make 600hp and only fuel to 4k or are you gonna wanna go 650-700 and 4500 rpms next year?

The redline is awesome IMO, it fuels hard, pulls hard, and will be great for sled pulling. For $1,000 and a few hours to put it in, not bad. However, a p-pump conversion is gonna cost you about $2k for the kit and misc parts, $500-1000 for a stock pump in good shape, and prolly another $1000 to send it off to a pump shop to get it flowing 500cc or so to make the 600+ hp.

I love my redline, but I know I am greedy and will want more, but I will be building an entire 12v to put in my truck...easier to get it tuned right, and stronger valves/no valve seats dropping which is a major concern on the 24v.

Well my plans are to break 600hp on the 02 and just tune it down (run the smarty) for my daily pulling and work use.

I already have a full built 12v from raymac engines thats ready to go. I am holding off cause i found a cheap dmax i am considering building a full pulling rig rather than dropping the built 12valve in my 95 dually.

Is there any need for the smarty with the redline?????

I keep mine loaded because I like the way it drives when the redline is turned off...and I only turn the redline on if there is the rare occurence of a ricer that needs a schooling.

So do you actually run the smarty with the Redline. What set up smarty/redline do you run when sledpulling and running down the road???

smarty is always on 9, i never take it out.

when i turn the redline on the smarty stays there, tho the fueling in the smarty is ignored. some say the timing is still there and some say the ECM is over ruled 100%...i don't know tho.

have not pulled with it yet, but will be running smarty on 9 with redline on like 90-95% with rev limiter at 3900

Back