Cost of p-pump over electronics on a VP

Heard from many people that there is no gain at 100% but I will test it fully on the dyno next saturday to be sure. (prolly test 50, 75, 85, 95, 100) and the box only goes to 4k, i run it at 3900 because there is no need to risk the other problems that CAN happen at high rpm, and I figure that by the time a track gets ahold of me its gonna drag me down to 3500rpms with fuel anyway, so no need for 4k.

the redline that turns over 4k is the "unlimited" version. I'm not 100% sure but I think there's two different versions, one is 4k and the other is 4k+. I'm just going off of what I've seen advertised on the classifieds. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

yes there was an unlimited version, it would go to like 4100-4200 depending on the truck. but they also caused problem with the vp44 and had a high failure rate if i am not mistaken, so chip stopped making the unlimited version.

Well my plans are to break 600hp on the 02 and just tune it down (run the smarty) for my daily pulling and work use.

I already have a full built 12v from raymac engines thats ready to go. I am holding off cause i found a cheap dmax i am considering building a full pulling rig rather than dropping the built 12valve in my 95 dually.

Is there any need for the smarty with the redline?????

In case you care i am a 02 running 11.88 697 for horsepower.

Great setup with the right tuning no spray jsut good old #2

My 99' is p-pumped and it runs great, no regrets. Looks like I'm gonna have to get rid of it do to my work closing there doors.

anyone run the Edge Hot drag and tst powermax comp together?

Sputters a little when u let off after heavy fueling
I don't know if its because of the HR VP or what

You can't run two wire tap boxes together. You can run the drag comp untapped and the TST tapped. I like my TST COMP box except for the pump shuddering when you let off the throttle on the upper levels.

oh I dont have the remote for the tst so its stuck on the highest level all the time. what damages will it cause running two tapped wire boxes, is that bad for ecm? or does one cancel out the other and edge would just run in a lower power level like the ez edge box

Last edited:
With the wire untapped on the edge all you have is an adjustable EZ. Running two wire tap boxes with the wires tapped can cause goofy readings in the pump and potentially harm it. Oh, and see if you can find a remote and turn the power level down to level 7. Level 9 is proven to not make the most power.

I imagine they did that to get people to buy a remote

I was going to say when I have both of them on I notice a lot more power and smoke and boost jumps up to 45 going from 31 with just edge on.

How much more power is on level 7 than 9 is it noticable

I will test it fully on the dyno next saturday to be sure. (prolly test 50, 75, 85, 95, 100)

I'd love to hear about your results...

However, I'm also giving up on the VP44 / electronics and going the p-pump route. Probably tear into it this fall...

What all are you running????

Sorry I forgot no sig set up here

enterprise ported head, enterprise medium cam, drag comp, donms mach 7's, Phatshaft 64/14 over a S400 and tubing from Source. and some time tweaking things. 5" exhaust nohing real fancy standard VP woudl be first still but I chnged it when I did some engine work to be safe

Sorry I forgot no sig set up here

enterprise ported head, enterprise medium cam, drag comp, donms mach 7's, Phatshaft 64/14 over a S400 and tubing from Source. and some time tweaking things. 5" exhaust nohing real fancy standard VP woudl be first still but I chnged it when I did some engine work to be safe

Well i am for sure not going the twin route. I am going to stay with my little 64/14 or i might even upgrade to the 66. As of now with my setup my truck runs fairly cool at the 565hp level.

not with a 64 or 66mm single...maybe with an s400 single or twins it will make that power :D

Back