Cummins NTC-350

Only reason I said anything is because I dont think it will be long and they wont let them on the pulling track, if one of those slips it is likely that it will pop the stud when it does it, then the lock turns into a projectile. My friend that had his do it welded a bead on the rim to keep them from spinning in the rim and that seemed to fix the problem.

Personally the drives dont bother me, but the steers scare me to death.

Yeah I didn't think about Dayton's being outlawed on the track. I think I need to make quite a but more power for that to happen though. The front end are going to be a ***** to get the steers straight. I didn't want to take them off but I also couldn't stand them not matching the rears

My father and I have really been talking and a Cat is in this trucks future. It will either be a 7FB of a 4MG. When I start making power with that these little rockwells are going to have to go.

You would be surprised, I was running SQHD's in my GMC. My W900 has SQHP's and it may be getting a 550 E model and I'm not worried about em.

What kind of performance are the E models capable of? I realize they aren't capable of the power that a C15 is but are there performance programmers, ECMs, injectors and such available for them?

Just the same, they are saying now that the 40 pin ECM doesn't have the fueling capabilities that a 70 pin does, but I'm not really going for all out power. Everything but the ECM is interchangeable.

Just the same, they are saying now that the 40 pin ECM doesn't have the fueling capabilities that a 70 pin does, but I'm not really going for all out power. Everything but the ECM is interchangeable.

The 40's have big rpm the 70's and up don't have though. Also the 40's don't defuel at 50psi like the 70's.

Just going by what Kurt said, rpm was always my biggest consern, now they are be ding rods trying to get so much out of these 70 pin motors, if they could do it at higher rpm it would be easier on parts.

Still have yet to see a 5EK or 6TS with a broken block.

Everything but the ECM is interchangeable between what, different serial number E models or between E models and a C15?

Up until the 6nz C15 the internals are pretty much all the same there were some block changes, but it doesn't matter what ECM is on an engine the hard parts will fit in any of them.

Most of the single turbo engines out there are actually 3406E's, there were only two serial prefixes for single turbo C15's before they went to the acert, and there are four prefixes for the E models.

For example, I have a 5EK, my dad has a 6NZ there is nothing that would keep me from swapping parts from one to the other. The only thing I can't switch is the ECM, one is a 40 and one is a 70.

So can you rewire a 40 pin to a 70 pin, or vise versa?
Like Cody said you can buy adapters from Cat or Mawk Industries or you can swap the whole harness. I have a friend with two Acert's in older trucks running 40 pin ECM's. Swap or move a few sensors and your done. All the Cat injectors fire off the same signal. It's amazing how many parts are interchangeable on Cats. Cummins is retarded in that way, you can look up a CPL number in Quickserve and there could be 5 different turbo's for the same engine. 4 different pistons, injectors ect. With Cat except for some of the early stuff that had aluminum pistons in the lower HP versions A 350hp engine has the same parts as a 550hp motor.

Awesome, good info guys. My dads and I have been debating this issue extensively. My full intentions for this truck is to be a puller. I have no intentions if selling this old truck, so if, when we put a motor in the truck we don't want to regret it. We have pretty much narrowed it down to to either a 3406B 4MG or 7FB serial number or a C15. At this time neither one of us know much about the electronic Cats, so any info is greatly appreciated.

A new motor is going to be a little whole down the road, but I want to gather more info about the electronic Cats.

That is old technology man. The new electronic Cats are where it's at. KTAs have dominated just because they are so massive. Matched up against an built electronic Cat they look like a work stock puller!

Plus a KTA is still not yellow!

Edit: The only prejudice I have toward a Cummins is because my dad has always been a Cat guy.

Took the old KW to a pull Saturday night. Was about a 90 mile round trip. Went great other than about 10 miles from home, on the way to the pull, I the throttle pedal broke off the floor. Had to drive there with my heel on the floor holding the pedal down so I could throttle the motor.

Attempted to pull but the track was terrible and I had to high of a gear.

Thursday night I spent a night making sure lights worked, and wiring lights that didn't. So we went to leave and I had no headlights! But regardless of the minor set backs and disappointment pulling it was a good time to get the old truck out and actually drive it around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370813413.029560.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370813449.366344.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370813467.993849.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370813342.765849.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370813342.765849.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
On the way to the pull and at the pull we thought this old Cummins still wasn't running correctly. Monday I decided that I was going to pull the over head apart and go through it again. I planned on setting the torque on the injectors by the marks on the accessory drive and setting the injector torque by the book, 70 in-lbs.
Much to my amazement, I got the Jakes off and the injector on cylinder number 3 was pushed all the way out, the rocker arm was loose and the adjuster was just about all the way backed out. I looked around and the push rod wasn't even under the rocker arm, it had come out from underneath the rocker arm. Therefore cylinder number 3 was not firing. Pulled the push rod and found this!

IMG_1950_zpsd8d23f1f.jpg

When I get the push rod, I am going to set the over head by the book and see what happens. My father and I have been discussing the issue and we have determined that we are going to put a cam shaft in the motor and run it for now. There is no sense in putting a motor in the truck that I do not want. And I do not have the funds for a B model Cat or a C-15.

It is a fun truck to drive and look at. Everyone at he pull Saturday loved it. If we can get it running healthy it will pull respectively for what it is and we'll be able to drive it around and enjoy the truck.

Back