ECM Programmers ?? and Secret Squirrel Chit

4x4dually

I have questions about the CAN data from the ECM. I've got most of it figured out, but there are still some things that don't work. If anyone can answer any of them, I'd be greatful.

Question 1: The ECM isn't broadcasting SPN 65159. Does anyone know if the timing is able to be braodcast from the ECM? It has to be telling the IP what to do, so the info has to be there. I just want to know how to get it. Anyone ever read timing from a DRB or InSight or Modus? If they can read it, it is there. I just need to know how to turn it on and with what.

Looking for this info:

SPN 1436 Engine Actual Ignition Timing
The actual ignition timing at the current engine conditions. This parameter may or may not be equal to one of the desired
timing parameters (see SPNs 1433-1435), depending on the status of the engine.
Data Length: 2 bytes
Resolution: 1/128 deg/bit, -200 deg offset
Data Range: -200 to 301.99 deg Operational Range: same as data range
Type: Status
Supporting Information:
PGN reference: 65159

Question 2: Does anyone know how the "boost fooling" works from the Edge Atitude? I threw the MAP sensor reading up there to compare with my fancy tranducer, and the MAP reads 16 psi at idle. I'm wondering if the Edge isn't offsetting this number up 16 psi to keep the ECM from defueling. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I can just offset the number back down.

Question 3: Anyone know where to get a copy of the info that dodge transmitts from the PCM? I'd like to view and record ambient air temp and alternator current output....but I think it comes from the PCM. I don't know what the base address of that unit is and what if any way to decifer the data. Any leads would help. The ECM conforms to SAE J1939-71 MAR2011 standards....but I have no idea what the PCM conforms to if any.

Thank you and have a great day. :D LOL

I've got everything to work except the right hand verticle column in the lower middle of the view. I still have a "not used" 'cause I ain't got no more things to view! My edge is set to view fuel temp, fuel press, tranny temp, & backdown% that there is now way to display on the new one.

Day View

DayViewRevG.jpg

Night View

NightViewRevG.jpg

Short demo of the screens. I haven't got the Mumau Diesel Splash screen working yet, but coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2eOKThmzes

I still need to work on a screen that shows all number digitially and only shows the min and max numbers and maybe even an average. That is down the road when I learn more about something called "state-machines" or some crap. :hehe:

Jory-

I take back all the bad things I have ever said about you, your mustache, Oklahomo, OSU/OU football, and your pet raccoon.

THAT IS BAD AZZ, WELL DONE SIR

Thanks, Will. You're not so bad for being a Texan either. :hehe:

I had to learn to use .pgn files with transparent back grounds. New to me. Downloaded GIMP. It works well and quick once I figured out where all the buttons in it were.

Last edited:
Good luck reading the CAN-C datastream. If you do figure it out without their $40k manual, let me know. :D

I dont know the answers for question one and three. But as far as question two goes the map sensor reads baro pressure as a base line. It will read 16 psi at idle. That is the way it is set up, it isnt the edge doing it. Wish I could be more helpful on your other questions.

I have questions about the CAN data from the ECM. I've got most of it figured out, but there are still some things that don't work. If anyone can answer any of them, I'd be greatful.

Question 1: The ECM isn't broadcasting SPN 65159. Does anyone know if the timing is able to be braodcast from the ECM? It has to be telling the IP what to do, so the info has to be there. I just want to know how to get it. Anyone ever read timing from a DRB or InSight or Modus? If they can read it, it is there. I just need to know how to turn it on and with what.

Looking for this info:

SPN 1436 Engine Actual Ignition Timing
The actual ignition timing at the current engine conditions. This parameter may or may not be equal to one of the desired
timing parameters (see SPNs 1433-1435), depending on the status of the engine.
Data Length: 2 bytes
Resolution: 1/128 deg/bit, -200 deg offset
Data Range: -200 to 301.99 deg Operational Range: same as data range
Type: Status
Supporting Information:
PGN reference: 65159

Question 2: Does anyone know how the "boost fooling" works from the Edge Atitude? I threw the MAP sensor reading up there to compare with my fancy tranducer, and the MAP reads 16 psi at idle. I'm wondering if the Edge isn't offsetting this number up 16 psi to keep the ECM from defueling. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I can just offset the number back down.

Question 3: Anyone know where to get a copy of the info that dodge transmitts from the PCM? I'd like to view and record ambient air temp and alternator current output....but I think it comes from the PCM. I don't know what the base address of that unit is and what if any way to decifer the data. Any leads would help. The ECM conforms to SAE J1939-71 MAR2011 standards....but I have no idea what the PCM conforms to if any.

Thank you and have a great day. :D LOL

I've got everything to work except the right hand verticle column in the lower middle of the view. I still have a "not used" 'cause I ain't got no more things to view! My edge is set to view fuel temp, fuel press, tranny temp, & backdown% that there is now way to display on the new one.

Day View

DayViewRevG.jpg

Night View

NightViewRevG.jpg

Short demo of the screens. I haven't got the Mumau Diesel Splash screen working yet, but coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2eOKThmzes

I still need to work on a screen that shows all number digitially and only shows the min and max numbers and maybe even an average. That is down the road when I learn more about something called "state-machines" or some crap. :hehe:

How does your oil pressure work, doesn't your truck just have a pressure switch?

Hey, sweet. I don't work with that year of truck at all, BUT if I'm not mistaken there's two bus's there, one between the pump and controller that has actual timing data, and controller to vehicle bus that does not.

How does your oil pressure work, doesn't your truck just have a pressure switch?

Funny you should ask young grasshoppa. Screw that stupid factory crap. I bought a 1/8 npt male grease-gun hose and screwed it into the port on top of the oil filter housing. That goes to a 0-100 psi transducer that sends 4-20ma to the XM-500 module which converts the analog signal into CAN data and transmitts that to the Display. The display is set up to read the ECM (CAN Bus 1) and the XM-500 (CAN Bus 2) which has my oil pressure, boost pressure, drive pressure, (which are all three seperate transducers I added, not the factory ones) and I moved the EGT probe from the edge over to the XM-500 as well. That way I can log the EGT with the other junk.

I'm only interested in viewing the MAP sensor so that I can see if it craps out and needs replaced since the ECM depends on it. I am not logging it's data because I don't think it is as accurate as my other sensors.

I forgot to mention, I can data log anything I can read with the display regardless whether I show it on the screen or not. I have a stop-start button, then a download-clear memory button. Once I stop the logging, I just hit "download" and it dumps a spreadsheet to a USB thumbdrive. Then I just open it with excel and plot.

The MAP sensor reads 16psi at idle? Wouldn't that be "fairly" close due to it being Absolute? 14.7PSI + boost.

Or did my skimming this thread miss something Jory?

Looks pretty darn cool, BTW!
Chris

For those who have actually worked on my truck and sold me boxes of crap for great prices.....I'm making a couple of flash screens that pop up for a few seconds during the boot up sequence.

Hope you guys like them.

MumauLogo.jpg

OutlawLogo.jpg

jory, i am 99.9 percent sure that i have seen actual and desired timing on the Verus/modis. Ill plug in this weekend when i get home from college for the weekend to check. Also IIRC the JTEC PCM is also j1939 compliant. Ill see if i can get you any more info on the PIDS as well. Does your murphy box connect to the OBDII port or Does it go to the Cummins Can bus?

It connects to the Cummins Can Bus through the diag port plug right behind the ECM. It is basically spliced into the Edge module wires.

Any info you can give me would be GREAT!!!! Thanks!

JWB

Back