ECM Programmers ?? and Secret Squirrel Chit

I've pretty much given up on the PCM junk....unless I find someone that can tell me how.

What I'm currently viewing (and can log):

Boost Pressure (added sender)
Drive Pressure (added sender)
Stock MAP Sensor Pressure
RPM
Oil Pressure (added sender)
EGT (using the Edge supplied T-couple)
Intake Temperature (AIT)
Water Temp
Engine % Load
Battery Voltage
Speed (MPH)
APPS % Throttle
APPS idle (valid or not)

hm that the exact same information that quad uses on the pulse. I wonder if the data bus between the ecm and pcm is one way? The pcm doesnt really need to tell the ecm anything. Hmmm .... i wonder how torque management works. is that an ecm only thing?

I don't think it is a "one way" thing. If something on the bus transmitts, any subscriber should be able to read it. Don't know. Hoping to talk to some smart people at TS this year about it. Problem is, I'm sure most companies will send their sales weinies to the show and not any smart engineers. :D

I don't think it is a "one way" thing. If something on the bus transmitts, any subscriber should be able to read it. Don't know. Hoping to talk to some smart people at TS this year about it. Problem is, I'm sure most companies will send their sales weinies to the show and not any smart engineers. :D

yea exactly, and thats considering youll be able to get information out of them, they might be a firm believer in keeping the secret squirrel chit secret lol.

So how did this project turn out ?

Turned out great! I made an attemp to video it, but shifting with the left hand and not whackin' the hell outta the camera proved to be a challenge. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWFrOOSXdw&feature=youtu.be

I've got two infrared camers that I can hook to it (one normal video that I put on the fender well to hook up the gooseneck and one with mirrored video so when you face it backwards across the trailer the right side is the right side). I have a few family pictures I can scroll through to show folks my kids and boss. I also have two "vendor pages" which flash while it is booting. That way I can always have phone numbers with me to refer folks to great shops.

MumauLogo.jpg

OutlawLogo.jpg

I need to get Zach a page made for Hamilton Cams as he's been a generous supporter of my rollin' heap. :D

... they might be a firm believer in keeping the secret squirrel chit secret.....

I'll be happy to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) if someone would just talk to me. I have no intentions of selling or using any of the info except for myself.

I'm confused. You were never able to pull information from the ECM via the CAN bus ? All the info you get is via your own sensors ?

I have SAE1939-71. I'm wondering if a Cummins 6.7 ECM complies with that standard or if everything is special to Dodge.

Thanks

I'm confused. You were never able to pull information from the ECM via the CAN bus ? All the info you get is via your own sensors ?

I have SAE1939-71. I'm wondering if a Cummins 6.7 ECM complies with that standard or if everything is special to Dodge.

Thanks

I was able to pull everything the Cummins ECM is broadcasting on the ECM diagnostics bus. (this is not the port under the dash)

The only things that I am pulling from independent sensors that I added are Boost Pressure, Drive Pressure, Oil Pressure, and EGT. I don't trust the MAP over 40psi, no facotry Drive pressure, oil pressure from factory doesn't transmit an actual pressure on the '02, and EGT probe was moved over from Edge to this display so I can get it into the log file. Everything else comes from the ECM.

I tried to read the fuel usage and timing data from the ECM, but apparently, all this is internal to the VP44, not the ECM, so it isn't broadcasted where I can get it. I was never able to read anything from the PCM such as alt amps, air conditioner low pressure switch active, etc. These would be great diag tools if I could just read them.

Got the Hamilton screen done too! :D

HamiltonSplash.jpg

Have you ever thought of/ tried using something like Auto Ingenuity to initiate communications and then watch what goes back and forth across the bus and then programming your device to match that ?

Nope. I don't know what Auto Ingenuity is nor have access to one. I would however like to see what a Cummin's Insight can do, but don't know anyone with one of those either. I'm almost certain there are things you can toggle to broadcast/not broadcast but that is just hear-say and speculation. If anything could do it, I'd be willing to bet the Cummins tool can.

Love to talk with a few folks at TS about this if they will just open up to me and give me some info. :D

I was able to pull everything the Cummins ECM is broadcasting on the ECM diagnostics bus. (this is not the port under the dash)

Your engine is older than I was thinking. I forgot which forum we are in ! Impressive that you figured this out. The newer engines have CAN right at the OBDII connector. Is the ECM diagnostics bus CAN compliant ? Or is it J1780 or whatever it was called ?

The only things that I am pulling from independent sensors that I added are Boost Pressure, Drive Pressure, Oil Pressure, and EGT. I don't trust the MAP over 40psi, no facotry Drive pressure, oil pressure from factory doesn't transmit an actual pressure on the '02, and EGT probe was moved over from Edge to this display so I can get it into the log file. Everything else comes from the ECM.

OK. What sensors did you use for each of those ? I am probably going to do something similar.

I tried to read the fuel usage and timing data from the ECM, but apparently, all this is internal to the VP44, not the ECM, so it isn't broadcasted where I can get it.
I kind of doubt that. I bet that a factory scan tool can see it and thus it would be just a matter of sending the right request.

What tools are you using to do this work ?

I was never able to read anything from the PCM such as alt amps, air conditioner low pressure switch active, etc. These would be great diag tools if I could just read them.

Have you tried auto ingenuity or some other scan tool ?

Last edited:
I'm sure someday I'll buy a new truck...when hell freezes over or the OSU Cowboys win the national title in Basketball or Football....so figure out what all year model trucks conform to J1939 will ya? LOL

I'm sure someday I'll buy a new truck...when hell freezes over or the OSU Cowboys win the national title in Basketball or Football....so figure out what all year model trucks conform to J1939 will ya? LOL
Thought it was enforced on 96+?

Thought it was enforced on 96+?

I've never heard that or been inclined to ask for any reason. It would be simple enough to tap onto any trucks ECM diag port and see if it reads. It is only two wires and then clip a power wire to a battery. :D

How does the Map sensor line up with the external boost pressure sending unit? What happens after 40psi?

How does the Map sensor line up with the external boost pressure sending unit? What happens after 40psi?

It tracks right alone with it. I haven't logged both at the same time to compare results above 40psi. I'll try to do that on the way home tonight and report back. I've heard hear-say that the factory unit only goes to 40 psi. Never proved it wrong yet.

Ok, I am curious I have seen 60psi and was wondering if that is even close or not. I heard the same thing about it not being accurate above 40psi.

Back