exhaust brake not working

Got Smoke?

Ok my exhaust brake seems like its not working at all, I've had a couple talks with Jory on how it should work with a auto truck.

The truck runs and drives great has no lack of power, no lag what so ever, hit the pedal and she's gone!

Where do I start diagnosing my Exh Brake problem at? Doesn't the actuator work both ways opening the vanes when you stand on the throttle and closing them when you let off and tap the service brakes?

Clogged EBP tube or Sensor. If it still doesnt work, then its most likely a bad actuator in the turbo. From what I have seen anyways

Last edited:
Clogged EBP tube or Sensor. If it still doesnt work, then its most likely a bad actuator in the turbo. From what I have seen anyways

I'm willing to bet this is the problem! Truck has 188K miles on it, where are they located and what is the appropriate cleaner?

I'm willing to bet this is the problem! Truck has 188K miles on it, where are they located and what is the appropriate cleaner?

The Tube Exits out of the manifold and runs to the thermostat area, where the sensor is located. The only time I have seen cleaning cure is a surging or barely working brake, but its worth a try.

Remove tube and basically just clean with shop air, or whatever you can get through it. The sensor, remove and clean gently to make sure there isnt a patch of soot in it.

The Tube Exits out of the manifold and runs to the thermostat area, where the sensor is located. The only time I have seen cleaning cure is a surging or barely working brake, but its worth a try.

Remove tube and basically just clean with shop air, or whatever you can get through it. The sensor, remove and clean gently to make sure there isnt a patch of soot in it.

What size socket is the sensor? Does it require a deep well? I don't have many tools at home but can borrow from my tech's at work!

Has it ever worked? I know the truck is new to you. I have seen issue with tuners that cause exhaust brake to stop working when delete tunes are installed.

Has it ever worked? I know the truck is new to you. I have seen issue with tuners that cause exhaust brake to stop working when delete tunes are installed.

Yes it worked when the truck was bought I know that for a fact, but my friend bought it back in 2012 and I've had little involvement with the truck unless he's had questions.

Its been tuned for over a year I'm not certain if the brake quit working after the tune or not I never drove it until the offer to buy it came up.

What's your thoughts Jeff?

I think I found a large part of my problem. Pulled the truck in the shop real quick and took the EBP sensor out.... you can't even see where it flows into the sensor from the metal line :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jeff I'm going to need a price quote on a line and sensor sir! :bang:

Jeff Probably Knows, but the tube itself is Part # 4980324, Not sure on the sensor as I have always just cleaned it and the tube....unless the tube was broken.

Jeff Probably Knows, but the tube itself is Part # 4980324, Not sure on the sensor as I have always just cleaned it and the tube....unless the tube was broken.

I may pull it into the shop tomorrow on my lunch break and pull that line off see if I can clean it out. I literally could not see a spot where anything passed through the casting from the line to the sensor today. :kick: I just didn't have time to fool with it right at close.

:thankyou2:

if your buddy hasn't run the Ebrake for a few years, the collar might be sooted up/preventing travel :eek:

No I made that extremely clear to him when he bought the truck that it had to be turned on every time he started the truck to prevent that. Once the H&S was installed it does it for you. :rockwoot:

Mark, I'm with Brad on this, clean the line and sensor.

I told him to load a trailer with about 12 tons, hit a down hill in tow/haul, and let her blow it out. LOL

Mark, I'm with Brad on this, clean the line and sensor.

I did today on my lunch hour the line honestly didn't seem to be clogged only a little soot came out of it. We pulled the sensor and wiped it off with a rag yesterday and no change. Today I pulled the sensor again hit it with a light shot of electrical contact cleaner. Also took shop air and made sure the small hole in the casting from the line to the sensor wasn't plugged. Only thing I forgot to do was use a pick to clean out the hole in the manifold end. :bang

We'll see if it helped on the ride home in a few hours.

I told him to load a trailer with about 12 tons, hit a down hill in tow/haul, and let her blow it out. LOL

LOL Well... that is an option. 20,000 lbs has fixed stuff before. LOL

I'm a bit limited without a gooseneck ball. :kick:

I'm about ready to arrange something though! :soap:

Last edited:
Back