Filled block & Head... Pros/Cons??

This is some really good info guys.... If a fella ran an oil cooler along with water flowing through the head... with an electric pump and fan so you can circulate after a run, in theory the oil should be fine.... Correct? I try and change mine every 5-8 hooks anyway so i doubt it would be broke down much.

Another question i have is: I was looking at the factory oil cooler i removed from my block and found the incoming and return ports for the filter.... could that be eliminated and a remote unit installed by making a plate with o-rings and fittings?? Or am i all wrong here??? Pics would be a huge plus.

Thanks

Last edited:
i'm curious like mork about what it would do if a guy made a oil cooler using ice water, wouldnt that help with that problem?

in theory if your ice box for your a/w ic was big enough couldnt you build into it a water and oil cooler?

:badidea:???

lynn check out 2wpullers build thred he done something like what your talking about, and i have the same in mind

Last edited:
Thing is, most peoples Ice Cooler for thier air to water setup is usually behind the cab. If you made an adaptor plate where teh original oil cooler and filter base is on the block, ran lines to an oil cooler in your ice box behind the cab, it would take the oil a few extra seconds to circulate back to the engine at start up. Although I am sure some one could make a system that has check valves at both oil ports at the block to keep that long oil line full of oil at all times when the engine is not running.

While we are on the subject, does anyone make an oil filter base delete plate that has provisions for sittings to run a remote oil filter and cooler setup?

Thing is, most peoples Ice Cooler for thier air to water setup is usually behind the cab. If you made an adaptor plate where teh original oil cooler and filter base is on the block, ran lines to an oil cooler in your ice box behind the cab, it would take the oil a few extra seconds to circulate back to the engine at start up. Although I am sure some one could make a system that has check valves at both oil ports at the block to keep that long oil line full of oil at all times when the engine is not running.

I wouldnt want an oil cooler to be circulating oil while the engine is running. I was going to put 2 ports in the pan and cool the oil between runs

This might be a dumb idea but I'm going to ask it anyway. Could you just circulate oil through the head instead of water? Would it not pick up the heat fast enough to do any good?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I wouldnt want an oil cooler to be circulating oil while the engine is running. I was going to put 2 ports in the pan and cool the oil between runs

Why not? Wouldn't be any different than the factory oil cooler doing the same thing while it is running. Alot of guys in the gasser world do this aswell on various motorsports, short and long term runs alike.

No 220 isn't. We ran circle track engines around 260 but they were seal systems. The problem I ran into is as the temps climb and the oil becomes thinner it tends to blow out the blow by tube at a greater rate since we run these engines so loose. Should I run a catch can sure but I don't. Its just easier to let it hit the ground

Gotcha, I run a catch can on my truck, so I probably wont worry about that then. I am only worried about being able to make my pass and get back to the pits. I dont really have a tow vehicle when I am racing. It would probably look pretty funny using the motorhome to go get it,, lol

An accumulator would take care of that. They are used in dry sump systems for this very reason.

We run a completely filled block with water in head and oil cooler and temps are fine. Oil gets around 240 on hot laps and water never gets over 150.

Do you run a rad Ashley? I am trying to eliminate the rad if possible

Run a small rad there Kevin, works great and way more convienent than looking for ice all the time. A small rad weights nothing.

I can hold my hand on the oil filter after we make a run with ours.

Dale

I used a water pump from a f150 lightening that has a intercooler supercharger combo, was cheap got it of ebay, moves a tonn of water.

I was tired of cracking cylinder walls.. that is why i filled it.

I push water into the back of the head via a pipe thread that is already there and remove the thermostate and installed a plate and back to the rad.

I have a small water line from the back of the head going to the factory oil cooler then back to the thermostate area, i am going to move the return to the rad for the oil cooler.

Malcolm

Was going to ask and see how well that pump likes the heat after a pass?
Thanks for all the info... turning out to be a very informative thread... :Cheer:

Thanks

Back