Fuelabs when you just want the best

I wasn't saying you weren't taking responsibility for anything, I was just saying I was hoping that your regulator/return side was up to the brief challenge of handling that much fuel. I've heard of injection pumps coming apart due to too much pressure. Most of the time a standard seat regulator and something as small as a -6 return can only deal with so much, in which case the regulator can't knock down the pressure as much as you are trying to get it to- leading to higher inlet pressure on the injector pump. At free flow that pump is nearly 250gph. At 45psi it's only down to 190gph.

I am assuming you have the latest design of the pump. If there is nothing applied to the center terminal, it goes into high speed mode. That's fine, but only under racing conditions (no more than 15 minutes at a time). When it sees ground, it will go into reduced speed mode (40%-60% flow, depending on the model). There should be wiring instructions included with the pump when it arrives back to you.

It's not a "catastrophic failure" speed. It's high speed. High speed is meant for a full throttle racing situation and no longer than 15 minutes constant. It's not just the pump that gets hot, it's the fuel because you're continually recirculating a lot of unused/unneeded fuel. It's the same reason that several other brands sell an add-on voltage controller of some sort (for anyone reading this- DO NOT use a voltage controller with our pumps- they need constant voltage). People want to drive a 1500+hp car on the street and they need a pump that can supply that amount of fuel at full throttle. However, when you're driving around on the street you don't need that much fuel and therefore you don't want/need your pump to be running full blast the entire time. The pump he is using, although completely compatible with diesel fuel, was not/is not marketed towards the (street driving) diesel market. That's not to say that it won't work for his application, because it certainly will- it just needs to be wired for continuous duty use. Our small pumps can be ran at full speed continuous duty- the large pumps cannot.

A brushless motor is a different animal than a brushed motor. A brushed motor simply uses changes in voltage to control the speed. A brushless motor needs a controller board (where our center terminal is going) to tell it how many rpm's it should spin at.

I wasn't saying you weren't taking responsibility for anything, I was just saying I was hoping that your regulator/return side was up to the brief challenge of handling that much fuel. I've heard of injection pumps coming apart due to too much pressure. Most of the time a standard seat regulator and something as small as a -6 return can only deal with so much, in which case the regulator can't knock down the pressure as much as you are trying to get it to- leading to higher inlet pressure on the injector pump. At free flow that pump is nearly 250gph. At 45psi it's only down to 190gph.

I am assuming you have the latest design of the pump. If there is nothing applied to the center terminal, it goes into high speed mode. That's fine, but only under racing conditions (no more than 15 minutes at a time). When it sees ground, it will go into reduced speed mode (40%-60% flow, depending on the model). There should be wiring instructions included with the pump when it arrives back to you.

Thanks for the explanation Josh it makes more sense knowing that its only recomended for short periods of time in high speed. I'm not running a stock VP and this is going to be a competition only truck. I haven't even got to adjust my regulator on the return side yet but before it stopped it was at a consistent 30psi. I've done a lot of research on the flow numbers of this pump and that was my main reason of purchasing it so I can maintain higher flow to my new 13mm pump. I'm sure you guys will fix it and I will be back in business good as new. And I appreciate the advice you guys know your products better then anyone else so if something in my setup needs changed to safeguard the pump I'll do what's required.

Looks like Fuelabs is making a hit in the diesel world. The bestselling point after the quality and performance is the no hassle warrantee.

The Ppumps can take that pressure and more without coming apart, we run them higher than that with more GPH

Would be really interested to see the results of the flow test. I have a Velocity 200 system here that I am waiting to install on my daily driver.

For pure competition apps I'm still pretty fond of the idea of mechanical lift pumps. The pump I run is around 14gpm at 4000rpm. However, it turns off the pump gear so it's only half of engine RPM. Still plenty to feed my 13mm at 60psi.

Looks like Fuelabs is making a hit in the diesel world. The bestselling point after the quality and performance is the no hassle warrantee.

Mine arrived to them Thursday of last week as per my Tracking number, haven't heard anything about it yet? Must be busy!

Thank You Fuel Lab! I came home an my pump was on my door step with a note its been rebuilt! Awesome awesome awesome! Now that's customer service!

that is what I like about fuelabs . no hassle, just good service.

as to fuelabs in compitition truck, no need for two pumps , just use a pump sized to your needs and boost output when the boost goes up

They sent me a chart with all the current draw at what psi, and also a chart GPH for low and high speed at what PSI! The instructions I received with it explain the setup has changed a little and that they have taken measures to prevent this from happening again. It'll be back on and wired with a switch to ground to control high/low speed!

I an thinking about using a boost sensing switch , like a hobis switch to make it go full when the boost is on

I an thinking about using a boost sensing switch , like a hobis switch to make it go full when the boost is on

For my application pulling I feel all I'll need is high speed for a very short time, at high speed as per my chart its 200gph at 60psi with 13.5 volts supplying.

Fuelabs has a Electronic Fuel pressure regulator.
what most don't under stand is the 200 number in Fuelabs is real, and not just a free flow number .

here is Fuelabs Pre filter , Pump and Post 4 micron filter with a boost referance regulator.

My filters screw in to each end of the pump

IMAG1151-1_zpsbd99be16.jpg

IMAG0089_zpsac62cf6b.jpg

IMAG0180_zps667ac79b.jpg

IMAG01281_zps46b348a4.jpg

Last edited:
I have not been able to do the flow test yet , My car is keeping me busy , and well as the other programs I have involvement with. I did recieve a flow test from someone else that didn't want to release their data for fear of reprisial on the forums.
Their flow test were very conclusive about true flow and advertised flow , and one of the most amazing facts was current draw. I am sure when I get time to do these test and release the data that I observe, it will open everyones eyes.

So whats it take to get one for a p pump? Their website only shows psi ranges for CP3 and VP.

neat part about Fuelabs , you wish it , it happens . Call me , ill get you line out

Back