Fueling Problem...VP?

Okay, aftermarket turbo, decent FP and a good IP. Go with Paul's suggestion, if you can hear the turbo barking that's your problem, either not enough fuel to keep it spinning or not enough airflow through the motor. Call Industrial Injection and get their advice, I feel certain they have run across this before and can help.

My truck did something similar a while back, under accel it would surge, not bad, but noticeable. Fp was staying over 14psi and I was getting buffaloed, This weekend my Holley took a dump and I had to swap it out for a new one, guess what?? Surge is gone, sooo..........what I am thinking is you might not be getting enough volume of fuel to the VP, pressure can be fine and the pump still starve.

Having said that, I do believe you have turbo issues.

I think someone on here was right!

Good goin' PaulB. That worked. I went to fill my aux tank with off-road last night for my heater and did some playin' with the edge. When I went to "0", no more problem! I can't believe I never tried that before. What a DA. :bang Then I went to every level and it was cutting out in the mid range. Then back to "0"....no more cut-out. :ft: Now, I can only hit about 36 psi with the "0" setting, but it always worked at the top so I'm not worried about my turbo anymore. Praise the Lord! :bow: ....and PaulB!:thankyou2:

Now, to call Edge when the sun comes up in mountain time and get this SOB swapped out. I sure hope they'll send me a trade-out so I don't lose my truck for a week or have to pull the harness. Their tech support has been real good so far, but we'll see if that continues. Some one should :kick: for not trying that a month ago. I guess I thought the problem would just go away.

Once I get that fixed, I can concentrate on the little projects I have lined up.

1) Replace the hose and fittings on my turbo wastegate. II put some real cheap a** hose on there and had to cut most of the hose barb off to screw the 90deg fitting in because it was drilled way too close to the inlet.

2) Check my valve lash. I need to learn how to do this and I'm almost at 100K so it may be time. I thought I'd see how off they are if any.

3) Pull that stupid roll-over ball out of my fuel tank inlet so I can fill up faster than putting the big rig pump on the first click. It was 28 last night I sure would have appreciated knocking off a few minutes off that fill! I don't plan on being upside down anytime soon, and if I get that way, I'll probably already be gone because I think seatbelts suck.

4) I'd like to get a campaign pump from cummins and swap it for my stock LP and see what the pressures do. Then I could put the stocker in the tool box for a backup if I need one on the road somewhere.

Thanks to all. I'll keep you posted when I get my Edge fixed. PualB, I owe you a "atta-boy"! :woohoo:

Last edited:
Awesome man well I'm glad that fixed the problem!! Now you get the fun chore of tearing it all back out!!! LOL Just messin with ya! HE HE HE

4x4dually said:
Well, I'll swap it out and see...I HOPE that is the WHOLE problem.
Wait!!! Before you get to excited... How cold outside has it been when you have been having the problem? Give this a try before you tear everything out. Take a large piece of cardboard and place it in front of the intercooler. Make sure it is large enough to block most of the air flow going through the intercooler. Get the engine up to operating temp, and then try it again.

Paul

I have had this problem for a long time. It has happened even when it is 70F outside pulling a trailer and the engine temp was around 205-210 or whatever it levels out at. It has been colder than a snowman's balls in OK lately. Mornings are 25-30 and afternoons are 40 now. It has done the same thing in all kinds of weather and scenarios.

I sent Edge a long email with all the info they should need to process my request. I haven't heard from them yet...I'll call them in a little while.

Edge is sending me out another module today so I can just swap it out when I get it. NO WIRING HARNESS! Thank God. Edge gets kudos for tech support!

I know of several folks who have had just this kind of service from Edge, one reason I really like their products.

Glad to hear you have found the problem, and that it's an easy fix :rockwoot:

That's not it!

Well, crap. :doh: I got my new Juice module in today and plugged it in. It is kinda hard to test it out with snow on the ground! Finally I found a cleared off spot and tromped it. Buck..jump...same crap as before. Well, I guess the module wasn't the problem. It runs great up to 20 psi and then poop...just like before. Level 0 runs fine, levels 1 thru 5 suck.

What gives? I am out of ideas.

Would un-tapping the pump prove anything if it works? I might try that. If the VP was bad, it wouldn't work fine at WOT would it?

Last edited:
Check the MAP sensor connection and clean it if need be, if that still doesn't do it you might try replacing it.

My bucking problem came back, got a chance to talk to Mr. Garmon this past weekend and that was his advice. Soon as I get a chance that's what I will be doing to the goat.

Mine does the same thing. It's done it forever and I replaced EVERYTHING. Seems to be getting worse over time. The only thing is that the bucking in my truck is intermitant. I'll be rolling along and things will be fine in and out of the throttle and a few minutes later I'll roll on it and it will shake the hell out of the truck once it hits about 25-30 psi. It's definatley a fueling/map circuit issue I think. My problem also seems to be more frequent in cooler weather also. The only other thing I can think of is that there is some kind of continuity problem in the ecm that is allowing full opperation sometimes.

Last edited:
GatorRam said:
Mine does the same thing. It's done it forever and I replaced EVERYTHING. Seems to be getting worse over time. The only thing is that the bucking in my truck is intermitant. I'll be rolling along and things will be fine in and out of the throttle and a few minutes later I'll roll on it and it will shake the hell out of the truck once it hits about 25-30 psi. It's definatley a fueling/map circuit issue I think. My problem also seems to be more frequent in cooler weather also. The only other thing I can think of is that there is some kind of continuity problem in the ecm that is allowing full opperation sometimes.

Well, praise the Lord, someone with the exact same problem! Not that I want you to have it, but maybe we can work together to fix it! You are absolutley right, I think the cooler weather does affect it and make it worse. It has turned off colder than a snowmans balls here lately and it runs like a**. The new juice mod didn't do anything. I've been through the turbo. So, I guess I'll try the MAP sensor deal. Does your run good if you peg the throttle and hit max boost like mine? The mid range stinks. I don't get it.

I was told that the stock sensor won't provide accurate readings above 40 psi. Is that true? Is there anyone that makes an aftermarket MAP sensor for these mildly bombed trucks that would provide a better fuel/air ratio for these hopped up boxes?

Do you think at all if it is the IP? Seems if the IP was failing it wouldn't run at WOT and would throw codes. I sure hope it isn't that.

Another thing Gator, when you are driving down the highway and just barley on the pedal enough to maintain speed, does the sound of your motor fluctuate up and down? Mine does. Same exact sound it made when my LP failed a year or two ago. But I have good pressures! WTF????:doh:

Billy, you and 4x4Dually also may wanna clean your IAT sensors as well.

Timbeaux38 said:
Billy, you and 4x4Dually also may wanna clean your IAT sensors as well.

Does the overhead readout for outside temp get its info from that IAT as well? Always wondered.

I believe the outside temp is measured by the cowl, but I could be wrong.

Back