Grocery Getter

9724VF350

Tractor Guy
Really wasn't sure what forum to put this on, thought this one might have some helpful regular viewers.
Looking to build a engine for the wife's excursion, get some impressive mileage out of it, have plenty of neato factor, start like a champ when stone cold, and have impressive power. Good thing I'm not asking for much.

Probably start with a 12V block, thinkin about a CR head, or maybe a 6.7 12V head, 14mm 205 VE just for the quicker delivery, Open to suggestions on camshaft and injectors. not thinkin that compound chargers would do much good, maybe true twins, couple of HX30's with wastegated #6 housings.
Lookin for opinions.
Thanks.

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Just throw it all together and you will be set. LOLLOL

Edit: Good call on the compunds, those things have been outdated for years! All the guys in the know are running true twins these days.

Last edited:
No you got it, I'd do the 6.7 12v head over the CR head on the 12v block but use the new 6.7 scorpion pistons

Ok, to the O.P...

Rewind....Start over...

Don't try to reinvent the wheel....

Right...drop an 03/04 common rail in it with basic intake/exhaust/tuner mods with a 48re trans and be done with it.
Simple, effective and proven.

X2^^^ Mechanical injection won't always just fire right up when it's cold, and won't get so good of mileage as a Common Rail especially if you do something like throw a 14mm head on a VE pump and monster injectors and lots of timing. And true twins are laggy. How much horsepower are you wanting to make with it?

Seems like the dodge mechanical injections don't always start as well as the Ag engines. Our tractors start at -10 with no intake heater without hesitation. 14mm doesn't have to mean lots of smoke, and "monster" injectors weren't part of the plan. 300-350 hp would be just fine. I have less than zero intrest in a CR. That's deen done to death. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

my 97 12v starts no problem with less than a second of cranking down in the teens with no plug in.? why do these trucks get bad rep on cold starts? mine has low miles and might be the difference i dont know?

I'm outta this one. If 300-350 HP is "impressive power" then I have nothing more to offer.

big mistake dude, that was the wrong guy to call stupid

I'm sure I'll get by just fine. This ain't our first day with a building full of B parts, a full machine shop, a cummins contract and a wrench. looking for useful opinions. got more than enough asshole comments under my own hat.

with an attitude like that you can pretty much expect asshole comments

286210 piston, P570 nozzles, I'd keep the 12mm H/R, S200G, and you may add a bit of lift to the cam if you desire.

Back