HE351VE on a 12 valve

Here are some pics of my setup. I plan to put it on the truck this weekend. All i have left to do is get the plumbing to make the collar move. Im going to hold off on the EB for now and add it later when i do my on board air.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are some pics of my setup. I plan to put it on the truck this weekend. All i have left to do is get the plumbing to make the collar move. Im going to hold off on the EB for now and add it later when i do my on board air.

Is that a 6.7L manifold? If not what did you do to adapt to the t-3 manifold?

Does your double acting actuator have an internal spring? Or are you just using the 2 external springs?

Are you sure about that? Pretty sure the regular HE351 has a typical T3 flange.

Pretty sure... That was part of the changes from the HX to the HE series. It's a goofy metric flange, that's why it's weird to us. I've seen all sorts of german, british, and soviet made tractors with that flange and none of them were newer than 25 years old.

Looks like an 03-07 5.9 manifold... They too had the right flange for the HE351Ve :Cheer:

Sorry! But you sir are greatly mistaken! The '03-'07 5.9ISBe exhaust manifold has a standard T-3 flange as long as it had a HE341 or HE351 and did not have a HE351ve turbo from factory. The picture above is most likely a 6.7 manifold. Also notice the block off plates on the EGR ports.

Sorry! But you sir are greatly mistaken! The '03-'07 5.9ISBe exhaust manifold has a standard T-3 flange as long as it did not have a vgt turbo from factory. The picture above is most likely a 6.7 manifold.

Then I have been proven wrong. Good to know though that it is indeed a T-3 :Cheer:

Though it makes me wonder why more people haven't transplanted them on 12v's as a cheap replacement that flows a little better than stock...

Though it makes me wonder why more people haven't transplanted them on 12v's as a cheap replacement that flows a little better than stock...

There are quite a few people that are running a he351 on their 12valves, at least 4 1st gens that I know of, and none of them mentioned anything about the exhaust manifold not having the right flange. Which is why I questioned them having the goofy metric manifold.

Also the manifold above has 2 extra flanges which is why I think its a 6.7L manifold. But that I don't know.

Good to know though that it is indeed a T-3

I did not say the HE351ve has a t-3 flange. I said the HE341 & HE351 have a T-3 flange...and yes many have already tried the 341 & 351 on 12 and 24v engines. Sorry if I sound ignorant...I just don't want to get anyone confused.

It is a 6.7 L manifold, yes i did block off the egr ports. It is not a t3 like the he351cw. The pattern is off a little bit. The block side of the manifold is the same as our 5.9L. The only differences int he 5.9l and the 6.7l manifold is the egr ports, thermal coupler port, and turbo flange. I personally dont understand why they would change the flange from a 351cw to the 351ve. The guys that are putting them on there 12v's are using an adapter.

No, the double acting cylinder does not have an internal spring. Im just using the springs you see. Boost will move the cylinder as it builds, and a future on board air setup will move the lever back into EB mode. That will require 2 solenoids, one for fill and one for releasing the pressure. For now i will put a stone filter or something on the port of the cylinder not being used in order to let air move so the cylinder can move, but yet keep it clean.

without the onboard air i'd think it would be hard to get the springs tuned in for the arm to work right unless you had screws that you could adjust the tension on each side

I bench tested this setup with my shop air compressor and regulators. I adjusted the springs at that time. Now that does not mean it will not have to be adjusted. But i dont understand why you think i need the on board air to tune it? The only thing the on board air will be for is the EB. Boost will move the lever for the collar. Am I missing something?

ah i didn't know you had already tuned it. so i guess it would be ok...the only issue i'd worry about is when/what rpm/boost is the arm going to move. i wouldn't want the arm moving from low to high at 5 pounds of boost before the turbo has spooled up. tuning i guess.

i worked on mine and am running 35 psi on the top not fully opened now....and have been able to close the veins up a little more on the low end. spool up is instant and the transition from low to high can't get any smoohter (i had a small boost leak to the actuator and fixed that too)

well, I put an extension on the pivot gear and am using a 3" stroke cylinder so i can get a smooth flowing action. With the springs on it, it takes a progreeive amount of air to move the arm. It gets to full open just under 30psi. This might need to be adjusted more in order to make it flow better, but that is something that is just impossible to tune off the truck. ya know???? Everything is a variable, including the oil that is going to loosen the shaft up once it is put on the truck. Who knows, everything i bench tested might be for nothing and ill have to start over.

no i don't believe it's for nothing, definately gets you in the ballpark before it goes on the truck. i'm just curious to see how it works compared to mine... it may spool even better
confused013.gif
i don't have the EB brake feature on mine...if i were to add something, i'd have to make the whole bracket move back (via air or power). that would be a pita to get something figured out.

I did not say the HE351ve has a t-3 flange. I said the HE341 & HE351 have a T-3 flange...and yes many have already tried the 341 & 351 on 12 and 24v engines. Sorry if I sound ignorant...I just don't want to get anyone confused.

Right, I should have clarified what I was trying to say too... So that was my mistake again.

well guys, I got it on the truck. Bolted right up. Stock intake didnt fit with everything else i had to put on it so i had to make one from Home Depot parts. Looks good though.

I am however disappointed in the way it spools. It doesnt seem to spool to much faster than my cw did. And i EGT's seem to rise much more rapidly that before. But im peeking out at 1300* or so, so im not to concerned about it since im not getting to hot. I am thinking that im no moving the collar at the right time. But i dont know if it is to soon or to late...... Will tinker more tomorrow.....

yeah doesn't sound like the arm is closed up enough and may be moving too soon. my egts were hot when i had the veins fully opened for the 2 days i didn't have an actuator on there (but cooled off once i could finally get it lit).

mine now spools as fast or faster than my stock he341

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice pics. The foot on the vgt turbo is a t4i

Back