Hogue stepping up in his game and credibility.

Gates employees 14,000 people in 30 different countries. Why would they seek engineering help from a guy with a diesel dragster that has problems.

Doesn't most development to improve something start with a solid benchmark?

If you go to Gates' website http://www.gates.com it says "John Force chooses Gates for the win." I don't see anything about the wonder rail of fail on there. Obviously they just haven't updated the site yet.

Last edited:
Is the OP being real? I'm hoping he's being wickedly sarcastic.

I'm no guru, especially with the CR stuff...but a timed pressure pump to feed a closed rail sounds absurd to me.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (7 members and 1 guests)
WUnderwood, COMP461*, MADDOG*, 95cummins5.9*, IdahoRob, DISTURBED*, 9724VF350

What you guys fail to understand is Greg considers picking out a Gates belt at Autozone with the parts guy "engineering".

Is the OP being real? I'm hoping he's being wickedly sarcastic.

I'm no guru, especially with the CR stuff...but a timed pressure pump to feed a closed rail sounds absurd to me.

I'm dead serious, and if you think of it in the aspects as a mechanical engineer would, it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want to time a pressure rise from a plunger with the pressure drop in the injector body? When people are concerned with μs in their injection timing, why not try to maximize the power potential and reduce the power loss by timing the pump?

What you guys fail to understand is Greg considers picking out a Gates belt at Autozone with the parts guy "engineering".

I'm sure a company like Gates has no problem fully funding this research. Their return on investment will be huge.

11990533_10208426637042589_3049226504366368912_n.jpg

Except when you have 3 plungers and one outlet per pump, there's always a continuous flow of fuel. By the time one plunger is topped out in its stroke, the next has already started to flow fuel.

I'm not understanding it. When you have a rail serving as a reservoir, and a pump feeding the reservoir, and keeping it full, why do you need to time it?

That is more inline with my limited understanding.

Sinusoidal delineation. ?

If you watch a O-scope with enough channels, you will see that an out of phase pump will have a pressure drop coincidence. The extent of which may be trivial for some, but it does exist. I will have to dig for the graphical representation I was trained with, but it does affect the total timing of the injection event. With multiple pumps on a fringe power application, you could drop a couple thousand PSI on one cylinder potentially.

Sent from my Not So Smartphone

Last edited:
Don't you need a running motor before it matters?
Seems like someone is putting the cart before the horse.

Back