How big of nozzles can I run

knichols

I have an 06 cr and no longer daily drive it. I'm still pretty new to this so I am in need of advice. Mainly I am wondering how much bigger of an injector I can run.

Mods
Dd clutch
Dragonslayer cp3 just bought a few days ago
110 springs
Push rods
Head studs
Exhaust manifold
Intake runner and horn
Flux 120 nozzles
Airdog 165
66/71/13
Smarty TNT tune
Water meth kit

Any suggestions?

With that small of a turbo i wouldn't run any bigger of injectors. All more fuel will do for you is make excessive amounts of smoke and higher egt. I ran 55 lpm nozzles with a 66/80, way too smokey

With that small of a turbo i wouldn't run any bigger of injectors. All more fuel will do for you is make excessive amounts of smoke and higher egt. I ran 55 lpm nozzles with a 66/80, way too smokey

I don't agree with this post..

120's are not that big for a 66... I ran Flux 2's ( 100 hp ) with my old 62 and it did fine... Made right at 600 hp with it...

Seen plenty of 66's runnig 175hp + nozzles...

Long as your not towing heavy or making Long Hwy. WOT runs, you should be fine with some bigger nozzles...

EGT's on a CR can be very deceiving.. Do NOT judge just off of them...
It's about proper tuning... Watch the timing added and not too much added pressure...

With only one cp3, pressure spikes might not be too severe..

Do NOT cap the rail... Look into a TCDiesel Modded HPRV and / or his dual RV set up for maximum protection on the pressure side..

Just do LOTS of research here first... Don't just throw parts at it and hope for high HP and good results... Trust ME!!

Good luck!!

Last edited:
I have an 06 cr and no longer daily drive it. I'm still pretty new to this so I am in need of advice. Mainly I am wondering how much bigger of an injector I can run.

Mods
Dd clutch
110 springs
Push rods
Head studs
Exhaust manifold
Intake runner and horn
Flux 120 nozzles
Airdog 165
66/71/13
Smarty TNT tune
Water meth kit

Any suggestions?

without nitrous a 225 - 250 hp stick is the largest you can go and still make power.

Small turbo??

Mods
Dd clutch
110 springs
Push rods
Head studs
Exhaust manifold
Intake runner and horn
Flux 120 nozzles
Airdog 165
66/71/13
Smarty TNT tune
Water meth kit

Any suggestions?

Well I don't get that comment considering your mods,.... your turbo is on the big (slow) side. A 64 would spool much better with your mods. Also a cam would help you spool considerably better.

IMO you are about right with the 120s. I have had many injector tips (sizes & manufacturers) and personally I am not a proponent of huge or even big injectors and the reason is that most of us run a Smarty and the duration is sooooo long that you are getting a huge amount of fuel even with the 120s you are running. If you are not a serious racer and running NX, then I don't get the huge injector thing to say nothing of bringing a lot of attention to yourself with the smoke-outs that follow and low price of fuel we have to contend with. It makes NO sense to me to go big.

Another couple mods to consider is the coolant bypass and the spool aid. If you can reduce heat and get the load moving quicker (with less stress on the egts) then you will have a much more drivable truck with better fuel economy.

Hope this helps.

Well I don't get that comment considering your mods,.... your turbo is on the big (slow) side. A 64 would spool much better with your mods. Also a cam would help you spool considerably better.

IMO you are about right with the 120s. I have had many injector tips (sizes & manufacturers) and personally I am not a proponent of huge or even big injectors and the reason is that most of us run a Smarty and the duration is sooooo long that you are getting a huge amount of fuel even with the 120s you are running. If you are not a serious racer and running NX, then I don't get the huge injector thing to say nothing of bringing a lot of attention to yourself with the smoke-outs that follow and low price of fuel we have to contend with. It makes NO sense to me to go big.

Another couple mods to consider is the coolant bypass and the spool aid. If you can reduce heat and get the load moving quicker (with less stress on the egts) then you will have a much more drivable truck with better fuel economy.

Hope this helps.

The voice of experience.:clap:

I can see running larger injectors for a competition only application but, even in that arena some are ridiculously large.
The CR needs to maintain sufficient rail pressure to put power down.

Instead of injectors look into something air related like a turbo or a camshaft.

Well I drive it on the street everyonce and a while but mainly just want to run it on the track. Im not trying to get huge power mainly just quicker off the line. I could be Doug it wrong but when I stage it's just like I don't have enough to get my turbo to light. Guys I'm sure I'll have more question so please have patience with me because like I said I'm new to this. This is my first build and figured it was a good platform to build off of.

So what I have read I should look into possibly a cam? Any suggestions on how big to go? I was thinking maybe 160-170 injectors would help me get my turbo spinning a little faster.

off topic but:

An auto tranny setup right for your turbo would help with with getting it to lite sooner as well.

You have more than enough fuel already to spool that little 13cm 66.
Sounds like you knew little, threw parts that sounded good at it and now aren't really happy with it.
Listen to what people are saying and get off the bigger injector kick.
After that...read. A LOT. Learn what you're building and learn why to use the parts you use.

I was just asking about the bigger injectors. I'm happy with my truck I'm just wanting more now.

So what do you think bigger injectors with no other changes will accomplish?

If I knew I wouldn't be asking questions.

Refer back to this...

You have more than enough fuel already to spool that little 13cm 66.
Sounds like you knew little, threw parts that sounded good at it and now aren't really happy with it.
Listen to what people are saying and get off the bigger injector kick.
After that...read. A LOT. Learn what you're building and learn why to use the parts you use.

Ok sry guys. I didn't know what I was doing and I asked about bigger injectors. I read what unbroken said and I appreciate the input. Thanks guys

I'm just going into this kinda blind. I'm not sure on where to start looking. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Tc Diesel and decided that bigger injectors sandy sing I was looking for. I'm looking at a wild rail and a few other things. I guess I should have asked on my first post. What can I do innorder to get more power instead of nozzle size. I just thought I still had room to go on my nozzles

Not saying that you shouldn't run bigger nozzles. Just saying that what i've learned is that bigger nozzles have not gained me as much power as smoke. I've seen a few trucks make in the mid 700's with 100 hp nozzles, a good turbo setup and some time tuning.

Back