I need a 12V recipe for my build.....

1fstdsl

Ok, please don't tell me to do a search....I've spend hours researching:D

I am looking at building what I consider to be the ultimate truck, but I need a little input from you guys. The truck is going to be a 2004 F350 crewcab 4x4. The idea is for this truck to be kind of an all around, do everything truck, and still be reliable...so I am not looking for crazy horsepower.

I have gone back forth trying to decide between a manual vs auto. I would like to have a built Goerend auto, but I don't want to mess with electronics/controllers etc. But I think I have settled on a 47RH, behind a 12V (or p-pumped 24V). I am going by the saying "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" This setup would require no adapters or computers :woohoo:

I have no experience with the p7100, so I need some advice. I need to drive the truck daily, pull approx 10-12K a few times a year, perhaps go to the race track when I get the itch and take it hunting in the mountains. I was hoping to get around 400-500+HP, with twins, and be able to do what I need to do. Is this possible, being how I will not be able to "turn down" the power?

Also, I kind of like the idea of having a p-pumped 24V (mostly because I love the look of the 24V head under the hood) , but I don't like the idea of cracking conversion injectors lines or dealing with injector pop off pressure difference issues. I realize I will need new pistons to run the 24V head, but I will be rebuilding the engine anyway. So, what do you guys think? Should I just stick with the tried and true 12V or should I do the "custom" p-pump 24V?

And lastly...what is a good 12V recipe for what I am trying to accomplish? Should I do a cam to help EGT's and help drivability? What size twins, plate (if any), pump mods, etc?

Thanks!

Really...you've spent hours searching and couldn't answer those questions??

If you couldn't, then reading them here won't help either...good luck!
Chris

Your expectations are very reasonable! I would definitely use a 47RH over a manual. As far as building a 500HP 12v...everyone has there own preferences...a search will get you what you need to know.

you wont need to turn the power down, thats controlled by your foot. you wont get full fuel out of a 12v unless you put your foot all the way down

Really...you've spent hours searching and couldn't answer those questions??

If you couldn't, then reading them here won't help either...good luck!
Chris

So if I do a little more searching, if will be very clear if I should use a 12V or a p-pumped 24V? I understand that if you have a 24V with a vp44 that throwing a p-pump on is a no-brainer. But...what if you are starting from scratch, does it make sense to p-pump a 24V???

Ill throw you some stuff here.... I would do a s300g over a small s400, keep the 12v head on there. put arp new age studs to hold the new headgasket down. put 4k springs in the pump, 181 dv's some 5x12 or 5x14 injectors in it. I would leave the stock cam in it. For 500 it is unessisary and the small twins will spool just fine and cool just fine at 500hp. With this setup it would tow fine and cool, be able to pull at the race track good and be reliable. I would personally go with a 5 speed over the 47rh for reliability issues and i dont race (i have a race car for that) so i dont care how fast i shift into the next gear. Id do a 3250# dd clutch to hold the power. If you are going to go auto i would deffinatly have goerend build the tranny for you.

you wont need to turn the power down, thats controlled by your foot. you wont get full fuel out of a 12v unless you put your foot all the way down

Yeah, I understand that. But if I had 1000HP and wanted to pull a trailer, it couldn't be done. Where is the limit?

when you start messin with 62mm and above, exhaust wheel size and housing size is very important if you wanna tow

i think bd's towing twins is a s300/s300 combo, like a 58mm over a 66mm

twins or not a 64 over a 480 isnt going to spool good enough to tow comfortably with

62 with a tight housing over a 475 with 5x.014's will be what you need and work good for what you want

key to towing is tuning your afc correct so your not overfuleing

Last edited:
when you start messin with 62mm and above, exhaust wheel size and housing size is very important if you wanna tow

i think bd's towing twins is a s300/s300 combo, like a 58mm over a 66mm

twins or not a 64 over a 480 isnt going to spool good enough to tow comfortably with

62 with a tight housing over a 475 with 5x.014's will be what you need and work good for what you want

key to towing is tuning your afc correct so your not overfuleing

Okay, thanks for your input. :Cheer:

So if I do a little more searching, if will be very clear if I should use a 12V or a p-pumped 24V? I understand that if you have a 24V with a vp44 that throwing a p-pump on is a no-brainer. But...what if you are starting from scratch, does it make sense to p-pump a 24V???

Same chit, different deal...what is the advantage of 24v's over 12v's at that power level?

Chris

Find a running 12V and put it in. Run it. Then start learning what makes it go. Don't be spending a ton of money on extra chit right away. The swap will cost enough with a built auto. Start there. Then tinker.

Find a running 12V and put it in. Run it. Then start learning what makes it go. Don't be spending a ton of money on extra chit right away. The swap will cost enough with a built auto. Start there. Then tinker.

Good advice....but I am trying to avoid the buy this turbo, then try this turbo, then try this trans....etc. Been there done that! Just trying to get a feel on what works best for my application with these p-pumps.

Well you'll get tons of different opinions, so good luck....most people will tell you you can't have 500hp and tow with a 12v anyway...something about the radiator not being big enough...

Chris

Good advice....but I am trying to avoid the buy this turbo, then try this turbo, then try this trans....etc. Been there done that! Just trying to get a feel on what works best for my application with these p-pumps.

Build the trans for 700hp and put a good running stock 12v in front of it. Get everything working right as far as the swap goes and drive the truck for a month or two to get all the bugs worked out. Lastly tune the engine to hit your power goal.

Did you read my original post? Guess reading doesn't help you either :doh:

No, I read it...but if it's not all about power, then why did you ask which setup to build?

If you know so much, then just do it!! I've built 12v's that run and tow...and tow much heavier than you are looking to do...I'll ask again, what is the advantage of 24v's at 500hp?

Chris

Back