John Deere Hy-Gard, what filter?

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
In the process of my compounds build and one of the tasks includes switching from standard atf to the hy-gard regular in my trans to tighten up my Goerend stock stall a bit and enjoy the better temperature behavior. My question is do I need any kind of special filter to run this stuff in my 47re? Thanks for any help that can be provided.

I have used both the closed style filter and the one pictured in the link. Got them both locally so hoping I can head to napa or advanced and get what I need.

Thanks. How would you reference that filter at a local auto parts store? Any particular yr, make car, truck?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I may be wrong. But the inside of both filters look the same to me. The 48RE style has the plastic to act as somewhat of a sump/trap to keep fluid under the filter.

Went into Advanced Auto and asked for a filter for a 95 2500 l6 diesel and got the one pictured in the link. Now, just need to slide over to Atlantic Tractor for a 5-gallon buckett of the hy-gard and I'll be ready to roll. I'm sure I will have fun getting the fluid from the 5-gallon buckett into the dipstick lol. If I remember correctly the price saving of the 5-gallon buckett vs. 2 2.5-gallon containers is about $15 if the Atlantic told me correctly.

Looking forward to your results.

It will be a little skewed given I'm going to compound turbos while doing this but atleast i'm keeping the same 62 i've been running. My luck i'll probably lose enough spool via the effects of compounding and tighten the converter so much I won't be able to get up on the chargers to launch:doh:

yea, it tighten up some and the shifts are firmer to . but I need to have my stall redone . i'm running a 1900 stall now , looking to move to a 2200. just need to get off my lazy ass and pull the trans out .

An observation. I serviced the trans during the compound swap and did find a closed style filter on the trans. I thought I installed one last time but could not remember. In any event the reason I bring this up is I noticed the transmission pan was quite clean unlike last time when I noticed alot more material in the trans pan. Last time I ran with a "wire" filter like I have installed this time.

I understand the idea of the wire filter is to prevent fluid starvation with the higher viscosity fluid. From my limited testing it would seem the wire kind, which is open and would allow fluid to run across the top of it, seems to not filter as well.

Am I the only one who's made this observation? It is also possible that conditions such as drag racing or more clutch materials on my packs resulted in more material in the pan than last time or the slightly increased cruise line pressure due to the break over TV Lever I made has resulted in less slippage/less material in pan. I talked to a buddy who runs Coan Converters and he was told the closed style works better because of the better filtration and there is no real advantage to the open wire style. This may not be the case with a thicker hydraulic fluid like I went to though so hard to say.

Thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:
Back