Kronk

I remember reading a thread on the Bullet about OOPS losing some custom rotary (I think) engine parts worth 10-20 grand, not doing squat about it, and the buyer stumbling into them years later to find his name and address still on the package. SO, the idea of finding them is laughable.

In UPS's defense, insurance does not cover packaging that sucks balls. Insuring them for 1k or more would have made it a high value package, therefore it gets a bit better care.

I remember reading a thread on the Bullet about OOPS losing some custom rotary (I think) engine parts worth 10-20 grand, not doing squat about it, and the buyer stumbling into them years later to find his name and address still on the package. SO, the idea of finding them is laughable.

In UPS's defense, insurance does not cover packaging that sucks balls. Insuring them for 1k or more would have made it a high value package, therefore it gets a bit better care.

I wouldn't say that..... I had $1500 on insurance and they damaged it.

Sounds like OP can pounds sand for being foolish about shipping.

It's been said before, trash bags and expanding foam get it done for shipping packing. No reason for anyone to use peanuts for anything valuable.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Look at the picture, sure looks like a very clean "tear" on the box. I am not accusing any person, just look at the area that is circled.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Isn't there a "lost and found" for this kind of thing?

Yes. Shipper needs to contact UPS and explain situation (contents fall out). UPS has "overgoods" where fall out merchandise goes if not claimed. Worth a try.

Box was too large for contents. Another heavy box set on it would "crush" it down and split a side like that. Also, heavy loose metal parts packed with peanuts WILL shift and damage the box, also possibly causing a fall out. Why isnt a damage claim being put into the system????

Last edited:
Yes. Shipper needs to contact UPS and explain situation (contents fall out). UPS has "overgoods" where fall out merchandise goes if not claimed. Worth a try.

Box was too large for contents. Another heavy box set on it would "crush" it down and split a side like that. Also, heavy loose metal parts packed with peanuts WILL shift and damage the box, also possibly causing a fall out. Why isnt a damage claim being put into the system????

I understand a split, however there is a very clean portion. IE I would expect to see some fibers if it split. The original picture needs to be opened up on a PC. What I have screen shot doesn't have the clarity of the originals.

I don't know what you're trying to say Z. That box had been cut down at one time and the area you high lighted was cut at that time.

box_zps3zjfffly.jpg

See the fold on the side next to the red line? See the fold on the end where the large arrow is pointing? The box had been cut down and folded along those folds at one time or another. Whoever packed the box didn't even tape the corners that had been cut much less the other corners. The tear happened along the yellow lines. You can see at the yellow arrows where it began. This happened because the rest of that corner was cut when the box was cut down and had not been taped. The peanuts are not even necessary. The only way to damage the rods would be if they come out of the cardboard so the goal here is to make sure they don't.

If I had packed it, the rods would have been stacked 3 to a stack, cardboard between them, and solidly taped together. Those two stacks would then have been taped together and put in as small a box as I could get them in. It would have been cut down as small as possible and tape would have been wrapped totally around all three sides of the box in three bands, one on each edge and one in the center. Tape is cheap as is your time and effort to do it right compared to being out $1700 because you either don't know how to package something or because you're too lazy to take the time to do it right.

Last edited:
Packing 101 from a member I bought injectors from....

Box... in a protected box.... in a protected box. Insured with a high value and labeled as such with declared value highlighted.

20160129_172011.jpg

I don't know what you're trying to say Z. That box had been cut down at one time and the area you high lighted was cut at that time.

box_zps3zjfffly.jpg

See the fold on the side next to the red line? See the fold on the end where the large arrow is pointing? The box had been cut down and folded along those folds at one time or another. Whoever packed the box didn't even tape the corners that had been cut much less the other corners. The tear happened along the yellow lines. You can see at the yellow arrows where it began. This happened because the rest of that corner was cut when the box was cut down and had not been taped. The peanuts are not even necessary. The only way to damage the rods would be if they come out of the cardboard so the goal here is to make sure they don't.

If I had packed it, the rods would have been stacked 3 to a stack, cardboard between them, and solidly taped together. Those two stacks would then have been taped together and put in as small a box as I could get them in. It would have been cut down as small as possible and tape would have been wrapped totally around all three sides of the box in three bands, one on each edge and one in the center. Tape is cheap as is your time and effort to do it right compared to being out $1700 because you either don't know how to package something or because you're too lazy to take the time to do it right.

I am not questioning or accusing anyone of stealing, foul play etc(maybe the shippers were having a bad day, or the box was cut from previous use as mentioned). Just pointing out the box has been cut, and for it being folded the line on the right that you are referring to, doesn't look very straight, so I don't believe it had been folded over. Looks like it is just a crease from being loaded on.

Last edited:
Old box with weak corners + too large for contents + loose contents + poor packing materials + heavy box set on top during loading in delivery truck/semi = split open/lost contents.

Seen it a million times, guys. Its poor practice but happens all the time.

Has a claim been submitted to UPS yet? If so, claims clerk will want to see that packing and boxing. Alert them to content fall out so they can check overgoods. The quicker you do this, the faster you get it resolved.

Last edited:
Listen to this man^^^^ he might know a thing or two about shipping.

Old box with weak corners + too large for contents + loose contents + poor packing materials + heavy box set on top during loading in delivery truck/semi = split open/lost contents.

Seen it a million times, guys. Its poor practice but happens all the time.

Has a claim been submitted to UPS yet? If so, claims clerk will want to see that packing and boxing. Alert them to content fall out so they can check overgoods. The quicker you do this, the faster you get it resolved.

Have you actually examined the photo area that is circled? It looks like it start to split and then maybe helped out with a sharp object? Just the fact that no fatigue or fibers exist look like a clean cut...

Last edited:
UPS is hit and miss. I mark every turbo I ship out as $1000+ and some touch $3000 but the packages are all treated differently. I use expanding foam and double corrugated boxes. I had an HE561 turbo almost exit a box with expanding foam on all 4 sides that was insured at $2500. It looked like a ball when it showed up to the customer. UPS has done nothing. On the other hand I ship a low pressure C15 charger that weighs 80 lbs and have never had an issue. That being said UPS isn't at fault here. peanuts do nothing for packaging. The tighter you pack heavy things like engine parts the better you are.

These threads are a perfect reason as to why I avoid online selling. Too many variables to trust it.

Have you actually examined the photo area that is circled? It looks like it start to split and then maybe helped out with a sharp object? Just the fact that no fatigue or fibers exist look like a clean cut...

Looked at it. Probably partially torn when it was shipped. It was definitely weak from previous use, plus the box is not heavy enough for metal parts sloshing around in peanuts. The damage that a piece of metal flying around in a box can do.....*whistle*

You guys are right about the edges/corners should've been taped. From my viewpoint and experience, this claim will probably not get paid due to the quality of the packing material and weakness of the box. Sucks, but there are a lot of people out there that ship broken or false items or use substandard packing simply to get paid thru UPS. Its a huge scam. Best/only hope is the set of rods are sitting in a warehouse, waiting for someone to claim them.

But we're skewing from the original topic. I hate getting into a UPS argument. I do that enough with supervisors at work every day. Im out.

Last edited:
No you are right on topic because now all of this comes down to where are the rods. Shipping is always the sellers responsibility so if the rods are MIA then the OP is SOL unless he locates his rods. My question is why is there a lost and found at all? Do the items come out of the boxes out of sight somewhere? Surely the handlers would have seen 6 rods exit a box or no? I assume it is noisy and hectic in sorting.

This is why everything I ship is thoroughly taped on edges and crossed multiple times. I have also never payed for insurance unless asked to, knock on wood over 5 years of shipping parts to people I don't know I've never had a problem. I make sure whatever it is I'm shipping will handle multiple drops at 4' and less since most of ups packages are sorted by machine.

To me packaging tape,bubble rap, and adding cardboard to stress points to prevent a puncture is cheap insurance, and prevents a lot of headaches like this.

No you are right on topic because now all of this comes down to where are the rods. Shipping is always the sellers responsibility so if the rods are MIA then the OP is SOL unless he locates his rods. My question is why is there a lost and found at all? Do the items come out of the boxes out of sight somewhere? Surely the handlers would have seen 6 rods exit a box or no? I assume it is noisy and hectic in sorting.
A lot of it is done on conveyors so unless somebody saw it happen there'd be no way to know exactly where they came from.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Back