Let's talk twins

duke1n

Banned
How about sisters and their twins...quads?

Ok never mind, my biggest dislike about turbo diesels is lag. I am somewhat interested in building a set of twins to reduce lag.

If one wanted to support ~600hp with minimal lag, what would be the best configuration?

How much extra maintenance i.e. managing piping connections is associated with running twins?

If a single like a 62/64/66 fueled to 600hp will light at say 1800 and keep EGTs under 1500, what could you expect in regards to spool with twins that would keep EGTs under say 1400?

I'm not too worried about EGTs and if I could build a set of twins that would provide mucho grande better spool, I might go that direction. This is not a towing application and I understand why heavily fueled engines that are under extended periods of load, can benefit from twins. That's not my application. I want twins that light waaaay fast and compete with a large single providing enough air to cool 600hp.

How difficult is it to maintain twins and once they are tuned, do you have to jack with them frequently to maintain that setup?

I would suggest talking to Nathan Wright (Maximized Performance) :bow: from Boise Idaho he is the leading expert second to none on the application of Compounding Twins on the Cummins and Dmax. Have a look in my picture gallery to see his work. The piping was all TIG welded and ceramic coated. A true masterpiece! If you like PM me and I can give you more details.

Keith

Last edited:
Yup, I know Nathan does good work. He was at the top of the list if I go that direction. What I want to know are the pitfalls if one builds a set of twins with ultimate spool in mind and secondary to EGTs. Since it's not a towing app, short spikes to 1500 mean nothing to me. I want this thing to light at 1200 lol. Lag sucks!

I don't know much about the Cummins side for twins. except that I drove Nathans Twin Turbo 2nd Gen and there was NO LAG! He runs just under 700 RWHP on #2 only. Not sure what his setup consisted of as far as turbo config. was but man it was sweet!

My truck running with dual fuelers and a HUGE set of Twins has no lag and EGT's in the 1400 range at WOT. Very impressive combination of turbos at my HP levels. I have a little more done to the truck than most but still impressive to say the least. Nathan is #1 in my books!

Im very happy with the twins nathan has built me, very nice finish, great spool up, but now im out of smoke :-(

Thx Isaac, interesting thread. I hardly read TDR anymore since all the cool smart people are here now lol. So it seems that several folks are pleased going from twins to a single. I'm hoping some of the smart people can get on this thread and provide advice. I realize that towing with 600hp of fuel and a single is a challenge and that twins can really help in that application. I was sort of coming at this from a different angle. My Industrial Injection 64/14 that Shane built for me works great. The truck made 580hp on a load dyno and EGTs barely went over 1500. It comes on around 1800 and quickly goes past 20psi and tops out around 38psi. I sent it back for a freshen up and have been talking to Shane about maybe trying a Silver Bullet 62. He thinks drive pressure will be reduced and spool will be better. He thought it might give up a tad on the top end but not much. That said even if it came on say 100rpms sooner, 1700 is still pretty high. I would like hy9 spool up but still cool 600hp of fuel. I've never ridden in a twinned truck so it's hard to compare apples and oranges for me. From what I can gather, a set of towing twins will come on earlier but may not hit as fast as a good single? Dunno, hopefully Nathan or someone will get back to me. I'm wondering if BDs twins god forbid. would do what I'm after? Lightening spool, clean install, and still cool sufficiently?

BD twins are constantly spooled it seems, if you wanted to try a set for cheap stevedude on bombers has a set for sale for 2500 bux to see if you like twins or not. They really only work up to 550 or so I am told. I think you can get a setup that spools a few hundred RPM faster than what you have now but not much. Talk to Olee Poole about his dodgezilla S400 twins that he does, I think that would be a good setup. DDP has a truck that they built for a customer with a set of the street strip twins and it made 840'ish with the squeeze but you wouldnt want to drive it with the HX40 on top it is a snoop doggy dogg. nathan can do some stuff with the newer turbonetics and garrett turbos that most guys arent playing with. When I was there a month or so ago when I picked up my truck he had some cool ideas about twins so it would be worth hearing from him. If he doesnt get back to you let me know I have his numbers here some where.
isaac

Constantly spooled... in the words of Homer Simpson describing beer mmmmmmmmm.

Seems like people come at twins from two different angles. They either are massively fueled looking for max HP at any cost or they want to tow with 600hp and keep EGTs in check. I'm thinking of a 3rd angle with priorities in a little different order. I don't tow so I don't care much about keeping 600hp cool. I'm not going for 1000hp either. I will be perfectly happy with EGTs hitting 1500 if in turn I can have instant spool on demand. I wonder if anyone has tried to build a setup with a centrifugal belt driven charger in front of a bigger single?

Just looking aroind it seems the Paxton units can flow 950cfm up to 1400cfm. I'm sure there are details that have not occurred to me and maybe it's a stupid idea but if you could build a setup that would provide some boost off idle and then get out of the way when the turbo lit, you could have a very fun to drive street machine.

Last edited:
a nice idea for sure Mike and I know that NascarMark from PDR already has a roots-style blowah on a cummins and it is reported to "work" how well it works I cannot say. Why try and re-invent the wheel though, there are options out there to do what you want without having to spend a HUGE amount of money on R&D and crap. My super stock 62 isnt always spooled but a punch of the go pedal gets it spooled damn fast. If you look at your useage then you really are only able to leg her out on the 1/4 mile so you dont need a HUGE amount of air to overcome EGT because by the time you are rolling out the big end you havent been hot enough for long enough to hurt anything. I have thought about doing twins but there isnt any point for me to do it yet. I like my single, I dont tow anything heavy very often at all and its stupid simple. You dont have to take any plumbing out to change the oil filter you dont have to chase any boost leaks if they develop. I think you would probably be happy with a BIG external wastegate and a Pro Street 66. That turbo will make 70+psi with no problem.

Yeah I remember that. Maybe I'll call Mark next week and see what happened. I'll probably try the Silver 62 and see how it works. I've had a SPS66 on it before and it was waaay too laggy for me. I don't really want a ton of boost, heck my 64 only puts out about 38psi at nearly 600hp. I got the 89% Suncoast converter so hopefully it will be loose enough to get out of the hole and then just hit lockup and away it goes.

Anyone heard anything about the BD setup with an S400 on the bottom?

I only have 110hp sticks in my truck and my Super Stock 62 makes 43psi at max and I cant get over 1100 even on a LONG run on the highway way up over 100

I have thought about staging a K31 or a properly sized S400 with my PS64. I need more cooler air on the top. I have plenty of fuel up thier.

joefarmer said:
Pretty sure they ran nitrous on that truck... maybe he can step in clarify.

brandon.

Nope!!! I know Curtis personally. He said straight #2.............

The K31 is very similar to the GT4294 like the one Brandon is selling on this site. The flow rate is within 3lbs/min and the turbine wheels are almost exactly the same. The upside for the GT42 is it is available with a turbine housing as small as 1.01AR wastegated. The K31 is 1.28AR. The K31 does have a bit bigger shaft though.

Back